Dressing for your age!

baja mama

I'm 56, 5'5" and wear any where from an 8 to 12 depending on brand, cut etc. Most people say I look younger than my chronological age. Like most of us, I have my share of body issues. 3 years ago I had a unilateral mastectomy and reconstruction so I have a lovely scar across my abdomen. I also inherited my mom's "sturdy" Eastern European upper arms.

All that being said, I still feel more comfortable and like I look better in a 2 piece swimsuit. I just have to find one now that covers my scar and has good support.

I've also finally reached an uneasy truece with my upper arms. I finally understand the rest of the world isn't as fixated on them as I am.

For our upcoming cruise I have an ombré blue to silver sequin tank dress (because DH really likes me in blue) and a strapless open back long floral dress. http://www.edressme.com/water-color-strapless-pleated-floral-print-maxi-dress-by-nicole-miller-new-york.html

I feel great in both dresses! Yes, I notice my upper arms and that weird under arm fat, but I really doubt anyone else does. Look at the overall impression you give rather than nitpicking the details.

Oh and for those of you who mentioned bra straps showing... I think a great strapless bra can be our best friend. I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a second before we leave, since I expect I will wear it frequently. I'm a 36D and found a great comfortable one at Soma recently. Otherwise I prefer Wacoal and Natori bras. They fit me well and give me the sense of confidence I was missing after the mastectomy.

For that 2-piece, there are some out there that have a lower "bralette" than the usual top but shorter than a tankini top. Look at Athleta and Title Nine for some examples. If you are looking for a higher-waist bottom, those two also have some of the "retro" bottoms where they really go up to the waist.

Also, if you're just wearing the suit to be sitting out, look at the workout bralettes that most athletic wear places offer (Athleta, Title Nine, Fabletics, Lululemon, Lucy). They can have a little more structure to them and, honestly, can't tell the difference between them and a bathing suit top. Some have removable "modesty cups" built into the bust that you can take out. If you have your own forms, you could probably put this into the pockets built into those bralettes.

For that 2-piece, there are some out there that have a lower "bralette" than the usual top but shorter than a tankini top. Look at Athleta and Title Nine for some examples. If you are looking for a higher-waist bottom, those two also have some of the "retro" bottoms where they really go up to the waist.

Also, if you're just wearing the suit to be sitting out, look at the workout bralettes that most athletic wear places offer (Athleta, Title Nine, Fabletics, Lululemon, Lucy). They can have a little more structure to them and, honestly, can't tell the difference between them and a bathing suit top. Some have removable "modesty cups" built into the bust that you can take out. If you have your own forms, you could probably put this into the pockets built into those bralettes.

Thanks Slidergirl. I actually found a couple of great suits... 1 is a Soma suit and the other is from Blue Rod Beattie.

http://www.bonton.com/product/1132294.html?CID=GOOG-PLA-AS&gclid=CPS9ypDEgdQCFRu2wAodYEYA5Q&kwid=productads-adid%5E52268984901-device%5Et-plaid%5E297371874463-sku%5E0700140711780@ADL4BONTON-adType%5EPLA

https://m.macys.com/shop/product/bleu-by-rod-beattie-ombre-sarong-hipster-bikini-bottoms?ID=2955941&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340008101320&CAAGID=29274190501&CATCI=pla-90550694008&catargetid=120156340008032435&cadevice=t&cm_mmc=Google_Womens_PLA-_-RTW+Womens_Womens+Swimwear+-+GS_Bleu+by+Rod+Beattie-_-108981628141-_-pg110882_t_kclickid_f4bc51c2-89a2-4108-a5d7-bf4c9ad94bb6&trackingid=424x110882&gclid=CMGI6rLEgdQCFZCLaQoddesMjQ

https://m.soma.com/store/product/soma-swim-bra-sized-criss-cross-bikini-top/570189283?color=001&catId=cat2060003&fromSearch=true&scPos=2-11115-0

I think the secret to "dressing your age" in a 2 piece swimsuit for me is a top with underwire, preferrably cup sized, and a bottom that hits about 1.5 - 2 inches below my belly button. It's high enough to cover my scar, but still works with my body (short from the waist down.). I love the look of the high waisted retro styles on others, but they just don't work for me. They end up coming up to the bottom of the bra top... lol

I'm in my early 60's and wear dresses and shirts with no sleeves. I have several friends that think when your arms start to wrinkle you need to wear sleeves. My arms are in good shape but they are really starting to wrinkle. Would love to hear from other women my age about what they think?

I'm 43, not your age, but I have plenty of friends in their sixties. Some like wearing sleeveless tops, and I say good for them! They are fabulous women, and I think they look great! (Our society really has some odd hangups about stuff like wrinkles...)

Full disclosure: I may not be the "norm." I bought a pair of fringed knee high boots this year, despite my age, because I love them and they look great and make me feel great. So I guess I'm biased.

But seriously, I wouldn't stop wearing sleeveless tops because of wrinkles. Be comfortable! If you're fine with it, don't let others make you self conscious!

I bought a pair of fringed knee high boots this year, despite my age, because I love them and they look great and make me feel great. ..... Be comfortable! If you're fine with it, don't let others make you self conscious!

I think you hit the nail on the head...

If you love something and feel great wearing it, go for it!

If it makes you uncomfortable or self-conscious, put it back...

• 3 weeks later...

I have flabby arms with no wrinkles (yet), but I hate to go sleeveless. I respect any woman's choice to wear what makes them feel comfortable, but I don't like the feeling of looking unattractive to other people, even in my home.

So, I have a very large wardrobe of lovely chiffon elbow (or slightly above) length sleeved tops. They are gorgeous, and I got almost all of them on ebay for $8 - $20 each. They are very cool, I wear a chiffon white or black tank underneath (also from ebay), and I'm quite comfortable in hot weather. Two layers of chiffon are cooler than a tight knit tank or tee shirt.

Example:

64314844_Navy-whitechiffonwtank.jpg.c817b144c1cb53f32931e7a3567440b4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ref. bra straps showing. Several years ago took land tours in Europe in summer months. Observed many women made little or no effort to cover their straps. However, in most cases, bra straps were color coordinated to their tops. i think most of them were under 50 years of age.Thought that was interesting.

They may have been wearing bralettes. I'm 54 and I just bought a few of them