Pantyhose confusion

sockmonkeygirl

Perhaps it is a European thing !! I wouldn't dream of wearing a cocktail dress without sheer tights (pantyhose)..The brand I wear are 5 denier with an "invisible" toe, they give legs a lovely sheen to complete a groomed look.:)

There for a minute I thought I was the "odd (wo)man out" here. I own drawers full of pantyhose. I would not even consider wearing a dressy dress or skirt without them, especially if heels are involved.

Regarding Spanx, yes, they work if you buy the right size and fit. It is amazing how they can change the look of a dress, or pair of pants when worn.

Nope...I don't know anyone who still wears them! Throw a bit of fake tan on your legs, if that's your worry....and if that doesn't worry you, don't even bother!

I haven't worn pantyhose in.....well, AGES!!!! Maybe since the 80's!

What's a good brand of "fake tan"?

• 1 month later...

I'm 43 and a Georgia native. The last time I wore pantyhose was for a cousin's spring wedding in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago, and that was pure desperation! (It was so chilly, and it barely helped.) Before that, it was probably fifteen years. I definitely never wear them on cruises.

Maybe it's regional. Here, women don't wear them to weddings—even very dressy ones—or the opera, or the theatre. Girls don't even wear hose to prom anymore!

My grandkids don't know what they are either, but when they were younger they liked to put my old ones on to dress up. They also don't know what a 'hanky' ie handerchief is for! And were grossed out when I explained!
You aren't alone! I'm 43, and I use handkerchiefs exclusively! I still have one box of tissues at the house for guests, but that's it. Too much waste!

MaidM, they do not wear them etc. The arrival of that trend must have been a big relief on those humid days. DH worked in the South in mid 60's and remembers many women removing their hose [before pantyhose] in relative privacy of the car.

Here in southern Ca., those of us with less than great legs, wear pants to almost everywhere.