Shoes for Formal Nights

RSchroeder987

Seriously? I wore them to my daughter's wedding and they looked gorgeous with my gown!3df25cf5705d53f95f3eff1dadebb448.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

How beautiful you look! At my daughter's wedding last fall, she and I both had gotten 'ceremony' shoes (aka heels) and different 'reception' shoes (aka comfortable). While pictures were being taken before the wedding, we thought we would put on the reception shoes so as not to kill our feet. Funny thing was, we never changed them for the actual ceremony. With her very formal wedding gown, she wore a pair of sandals she had been wearing all summer and with my long evening gown I wore some semi-flat sparkly sandals. Couldn't see either pair because of the long dresses and we were both incredibly comfortable. To the OP, you do you and don't let anyone tell you different!

Save

To the OP, you do you and don't let anyone tell you different!

Save

Where has anyone told the OP "different?" She asked what other people do and got 4 pages of replies. She, herself, said that flats look odd and that she'd never wear them again.

OP: Have you decided? Enquiring minds want to know :D

Edited by ExpatBride

Ziera shoes if you can get them. Beautiful shoes that feel very comfortable. Worth every penny, I can only wear Ziera due to foot surgery but I can wear my ziera heels all night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

First - I love that you care. :) Thank you for that. My husband is really over my crisis here.

My two favorite dresses are below. The first actually has a silvery rhinestone waistband, not blue like in the pic. If this is the winner, it's heels for sure, it just doesn't do the dress justice otherwise.

06fa332479c028fdd0f342e8180dd682.jpg

Sparkly or silver seem like the natural choice to play off the waistband, but I wouldn't really wear them again so that seems wasteful. I'm thinking I could try nude heels so they could be more than a 1 outfit shoe - what do you think? I'm not sure I could go too strappy, the dress seems like a simpler line is in order especially if I'm going with a nude shoe. Something like below.

cora_nude.jpg

This is the second dress, which just really captured me. There's something about it I just love. If this is the winner, heels seems silly. This would be ballet flats or kitten heels. Probably nude again so I could reuse them for other outfits. Maybe a pretty pink.

Grace-Karin-Sexy-Backless-Flower-Floral-Long-Evening-Dress-Elegant-Formal-Dresses-Chiffon-V-Neck-Robe.jpg

The hubby needs lessons in tying up a corset back dress, so I'm waiting for my mother to come over and lace these dresses up properly before I can make a final decision.

Ziera shoes if you can get them. Beautiful shoes that feel very comfortable. Worth every penny, I can only wear Ziera due to foot surgery but I can wear my ziera heels all night.

I think I want those for work, if nothing else. I had a bunionectomy at 19 years old and have a rod in my left toe joint. I do have to be careful with heels if I'm wearing them for long periods of time and am always looking for shoes like that. I lived in my Dansko clogs for a long time too, but even their "dressy" lines are a little too chunky. These seem like a nicer middle ground between the cute shoes I want to always wear, and the more supportive shoes I need to wear.

For the cruise - I'm leaning towards the cute shoes I want to wear and hoping for the best. But thank you so much for pointing these out to me. I'm now watching for sales.

I must say that this is a very interesting thread. I wear my Brighton sandals all the time; two inch heals and straps with a silver heart in the middle. However, they always match what I wear...never been told that I can't go in to any place on the ship. Maybe it is because I am short and have a young face for my age...?:hearteyes:

I think I want those for work, if nothing else. I had a bunionectomy at 19 years old and have a rod in my left toe joint. I do have to be careful with heels if I'm wearing them for long periods of time and am always looking for shoes like that. I lived in my Dansko clogs for a long time too, but even their "dressy" lines are a little too chunky. These seem like a nicer middle ground between the cute shoes I want to always wear, and the more supportive shoes I need to wear.

For the cruise - I'm leaning towards the cute shoes I want to wear and hoping for the best. But thank you so much for pointing these out to me. I'm now watching for sales.

I watch for sales too! I'm lucky that there is a factory outlet store about 40 mins from me, so that's my first point of call. I recently got two pairs for $80 Aud! Laughing all the way home!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where has anyone told the OP "different?" She asked what other people do and got 4 pages of replies. She, herself, said that flats look odd and that she'd never wear them again.

Gee, feel better after getting that off your chest? Take a breath. We're discussing shoes, not the state of the world.

Save

This is the second dress, which just really captured me. There's something about it I just love. If this is the winner, heels seems silly. This would be ballet flats or kitten heels. Probably nude again so I could reuse them for other outfits. Maybe a pretty pink.

Grace-Karin-Sexy-Backless-Flower-Floral-Long-Evening-Dress-Elegant-Formal-Dresses-Chiffon-V-Neck-Robe.jpg

I can see why this one captured you... it's ethereal :hearteyes:

This has been an interesting post to follow - and no, I'm not a woman.

Last month we were on a Panama Canal cruise from FFL to Vancouver BC. There was a man with a very expensive looking tuxedo wearing sandals with no socks on the San Diego to Vancouver leg. That is when I realized how casual the great northwest really is!

Oh, just to set the record straight - I'm not condemning or mocking him - just making mention. I wish I could be that casual.

Hal

The second dress has a LaLaLand romantic vibe that I love!

I've been following this thread for awhile now. I have my middle age spread settled into comfortable senior status, and wear what I use to call granny shoes, but now call comfortable, sensible, and stable.

But I'm loving this discussion as I feel we all need to co-exist!

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/impo-reaction-wedge-sandal/379241?activeColor=225 I tried to copy the photo from the website and it wouldn't work. These shoes have a low wedge heel, but the best part is the straps are elastic which should work with my bunions and wide feet. Several different colors too, I got black, but might order the taupe as well.

DESCRIPTION

Jazz up your wedge sandal collection with the Reaction strappy sandals from Impo. These versatile slingback sandals can be dressed up or down to complement any look!

• Item # 379241
  • UPC # 632576594234

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/impo-reaction-wedge-sandal/379241?activeColor=225 I tried to copy the photo from the website and it wouldn't work. These shoes have a low wedge heel, but the best part is the straps are elastic which should work with my bunions and wide feet. Several different colors too, I got black, but might order the taupe as well.

DESCRIPTION

Jazz up your wedge sandal collection with the Reaction strappy sandals from Impo. These versatile slingback sandals can be dressed up or down to complement any look!

• Item # 379241
  • UPC # 632576594234

Those are actually not bad....(for problem feet). I think I would actually wear those if need be. :)

DESCRIPTION

Just a thought. I have had shoes which have straps which are elastic. When the weather is hot , or I have been on my feet for a while, my feet swell. The elastic then cuts in and is really uncomfortable. I now never buy shoes with elastic 👡 👠

We have a winner!

The second dress. It just feels ladylike and so elegant. I also like to think it will present more opportunities to wear it in the future than the strapless. I really appreciate your feedback on it. The unanimous outpouring of support for dress #2 helped push me in that direction.

So, shoes have become a non-issue. I need about 2" of heel to avoid having to hem the dress, and with such a beautiful skirt, I really don't want to hem any of it and lose the pattern. They'll be largely covered, so I have a lot more option than I did with a high-low skirt.

I suppose I fall in both camps when it comes to comfort vs style. There is a place in my life for "dinner" heels, even though they're impractical and hurt my feet after a certain amount of time. I like how they look, and I like how they make me feel - right up until they really start hurting. There is also a place in my life for 10 hour power heels in many different heights and shapes. I hope we can all have grace for each other and our shoe choices.

I'll probably get something nude, because I need new nude heels in any case. I'm looking into all the suggestions you wonderful ladies have made.

It has been an interesting thread. I expected women would notice shoe choices, which is why I asked in the first place. I'm surprised at the number of men who actually notice as well though. For the men following this, if you didn't already know - it takes some of us a lot of effort to put an outfit together. :) This does not all just magically fall into place!!

It's wonderful to be in a time where we have so many options, and quite frankly, I'm happy to be on a cruise ship where I can exercise any of those options.

:) Thank you all.

At 28 I am stuck with the requirements of all shoes having a full arch and footbed thanks to a surgery to reattach tendons and breaking my right foot twice (I sailed last summer in a walking cast!). Years of colorguard and barefoot modern dancing with feet that naturally roll out has left me with a mess. Needless to say I spend most of my life in sneakers, crocs (whenever I am out of my typical shoes), speerys, 1 pair of boots, or a pair of Vionic flip flops. I was planning on bringing the flip flops and one pair of speery's but I am assuming I won't be able to go to elite social hour in those so I am searching for something else to wear that won't cost hundreds of dollars! Heels are absolutely not aloud. My doctor recommended birkenstocks and they were very comfortable, I just don't want to run into the same issue. However, sneakers and dresses are cute right :)

QUOTE "two favorite dresses are below. The first actually has a silvery rhinestone waistband, not blue like in the pic. If this is the winner, it's heels for sure, it just doesn't do the dress justice otherwise.

06fa332479c028fdd0f342e8180dd682.jpg

Sparkly or silver seem like the natural choice to play off the waistband, "

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Seems a decision has been made but while no. 2 is very romantic, dress one really pops and seems more suited for a cruise....,color, style, ability to walk and especially dance the night away....wear with silvery shoes...you will shine!

But enjoy whatever you decide is right for you!

Do not listen to the naysayers! The OP said that they wish to dress up for their Anniversary and so they should. Who cares what others do. We always take DH's tux - yes even last year on our Millie - Alaska cruise.

For the shoes - sorry but the flip flops are just that - not anything that I would wear with formal wear. Your beautiful high/low dress will showcase your shoes - I know because I just wore on one Infinity through the P.C. :) Get out those heels and ROCK IT!

Yes, I noticed one poster who claimed "Celebrity hasn't had formal nights in years". I think you can go back to 2015 or early 2016. I really wouldn't call that years.. A couple, perhaps. Considering how many wore tuxes & formal suits on the Eclipse Jan.22-Feb. 5 I'd say formal nights(at least on that ship)were in full swing. We had nice suits, but we really felt underdressed. Most tuxes we actually ever saw on Celebrity was on that trip.