Recent Summit Cruisers: Your Thoughts/Impressions of Sushi on Five?

cocobakerchica

Hello all:

I'll be sailing on the Summit this September for a Canada/New England cruise, and have sailed her many times to Bermuda and one transition cruise from San Juan(this is our first Canada/New England trip). I had the pleasure of having a final "farewell" meal at Bistro on Five on my last cruise(May 2016), and it was also mine and DM's favorite spot to have embarkation lunches, as she hates the crowds and dealing with the carry on bag maze of the Oceanview at embarkation(she uses a rollator walker) and prefers the quieter, more relaxed atmosphere downstairs(and it's a little easier to get to the cabins from deck 5 than the Oceanview). I've been trying to persuade her for months that Sushi on Five is still a good option for our embarkation lunch tradition, but she seems to think(even though I showed her a menu I found thanks to a link supplied by a wonderful Cruise Critic member that shows otherwise)that they only serve sushi, which she does not(and will never) eat.

What I would like to know from people who have eaten at Sushi on Five is how did you enjoy the non sushi offerings? Is the service still as good? Did you eat there more than once during your cruise, and do you believe Sushi on Five for our embarkation luncheon is still a better alternative to Oceanview? Otherwise it will be the AquaSpa Cafe or the Pool Grill(which I know are great)but that will mean going up to the pool deck, which I really want to avoid. Thanks in advance.

DW and I ate twice at So5 on our cruise last week. Our main reason for going was to enjoy the cocktails and we ordered several appetizers while we were there. The cocktails ranged from good to excellent, and while the appetizers were decent enough but I would not go back just for them. I will say that the caramelized ginger bread dessert was outstanding.