What is the dress code on Silversea?

Boarcephus

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at booking a Silversea cruise to South Africa in 2018 on the Spirit.

I've sailed with Regent before and like the smart casual dress code. My husband isn't keen on wearing suits having worn them for business until he retired. I understand the dress code for formal and casual nights but do men really have to wear a jacket on the other nights? Is it necessary in the bars and lounges? Do men take them off after dinner?

I love the look of an itinerary I've seen but think my DH might be put off with the formal side of Silversea. I do understand lots of people like this. Thank you for any comments.

I'm looking at booking a Silversea cruise to South Africa in 2018 on the Spirit.

I've sailed with Regent before and like the smart casual dress code. My husband isn't keen on wearing suits having worn them for business until he retired. I understand the dress code for formal and casual nights but do men really have to wear a jacket on the other nights? Is it necessary in the bars and lounges? Do men take them off after dinner?

I love the look of an itinerary I've seen but think my DH might be put off with the formal side of Silversea. I do understand lots of people like this. Thank you for any comments.

Jackets are required on informal nights if you wish to eat in the MDR or drink in the main and Panorama bars, and yes people do take them off later in the evening.

Outdated dress code with too many formal nights. Seabourn, Regent and Crystal have formal optional nights jackets only required on those nights with collared shirt the rest is all smart casual...no jeans.

Isn't it nice that we have a choice. Those who prefer a less formal dress code can travel on Seabourn, Regent and Crystal, and those who like to dress up can travel on Silversea! How lovely for both groups.

Outdated dress code with too many formal nights. Seabourn, Regent and Crystal have formal optional nights jackets only required on those nights with collared shirt the rest is all smart casual...no jeans.

Fair enough, all entitled to our own opinions, but just how does that help Goaty and their very specific question regarding SS?

I understand the dress code for formal and casual nights but do men really have to wear a jacket on the other nights? Is it necessary in the bars and lounges? Do men take them off after dinner?
I'm on board the Spirit right now and I can tell you there are so many venues to dine in your husband will not have to wear a jacket on informal evenings, unless he wants to dine in the MDR. But, if he does on those nights, he can just throw one on for dinner. I think he'll enjoy it very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it nice that we have a choice. Those who prefer a less formal dress code can travel on Seabourn, Regent and Crystal, and those who like to dress up can travel on Silversea! How lovely for both groups.

You are so right.

Choice is good.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I see this thread goes back to 2011 but was recently brought back up front.......I am sailing Silverseas for the first time in August. Sailing on The Spirit from Barcelona to Rome......not wanting to start anything but I want information:)

Daytime tours.......that is casual right?.........walking shoes, capri's. (tops of course LOL)............and daytime on the ship?

Casual?

The formal question..........for evening...........I don't own true "formal wear".......I don't plan to buy any either.......is a black

skirt (ankle length) with a pretty top acceptable? That type of outfit? Are black dress slacks acceptable?

I am very much looking forward to sailing with Silverseas......just want to make sure my attire for evenings will be ok.

I see this thread goes back to 2011 but was recently brought back up front.......I am sailing Silverseas for the first time in August. Sailing on The Spirit from Barcelona to Rome......not wanting to start anything but I want information:)

Daytime tours.......that is casual right?.........walking shoes, capri's. (tops of course LOL)............and daytime on the ship?

Casual?

The formal question..........for evening...........I don't own true "formal wear".......I don't plan to buy any either.......is a black

skirt (ankle length) with a pretty top acceptable? That type of outfit? Are black dress slacks acceptable?

I am very much looking forward to sailing with Silverseas......just want to make sure my attire for evenings will be ok.

I posted what we do for formal wear in your other thread so I won't repeat it here. As for tours and on the ship during the day we dress casually. Depending on the weather it's shorts or slacks and acceptable tops (we're not t-shirt people out of the house). Carey is always careful to consider where we'll be going on our tours and if it includes religious sites she's careful to dress more modestly and may not wear capris or shorts on shore or on a tour. She also carries a scarf along in case she needs to cover her head. Comfortable walking shoes are a must particularly in the Med where you might be walking a lot.

I posted what we do for formal wear in your other thread so I won't repeat it here. As for tours and on the ship during the day we dress casually. Depending on the weather it's shorts or slacks and acceptable tops (we're not t-shirt people out of the house). Carey is always careful to consider where we'll be going on our tours and if it includes religious sites she's careful to dress more modestly and may not wear capris or shorts on shore or on a tour. She also carries a scarf along in case she needs to cover her head. Comfortable walking shoes are a must particularly in the Med where you might be walking a lot.

Thanks Randy:) August should be warm/hot.......capri's/shorts for me then!

• 3 months later...
We are eating at the Grill on Formal optional night so we can't go into bar in our non formal clothes before/after dinner?

If I remember from your previous posts that you will be in Alaska, you will be fine in the bars...hubby might want a sport coat but certainly not required for the Grill....we have been in the Panorama Lounge many times before going to the Grill carrying our heavier coats.

Oh my word... the clothes from Kohl's were actually purchased by someone.

I didn't know people who sail on SS don't shop at Kohl's..........:eek:........I would not wear that outfit but I shop at alot of

discount type stores........I will make sure not to inform anyone of my store choices..........:rolleyes:

18671023_10155394141626908_4984184073915657867_n.jpg?oh=9f64a61d58ab3b47ec15e3654bffd735&oe=59A13AC5

I hope I never see this on board Silverseas ! :o

Sorry, but for all those people who are so attached to a dress code this confirms to it for most nights. This is the problem with dress codes. A light blue tuxedo with a ruffled shirt and red velvet bowtie confirms with formal. I'd much rather look at some simply tailored casual clothes any time.

I didn't know people who sail on SS don't shop at Kohl's..........:eek:........I would not wear that outfit but I shop at alot of

discount type stores........I will make sure not to inform anyone of my store choices..........:rolleyes:

My comment had absolutely zero to do with where you buy clothes. I could care less. I am a Kohl's shopper myself. But, Kohl's is the only retailer that I have seen offering the flamingo fabric clothing for sale "in-store". Hence my comment.

My comment had absolutely zero to do with where you buy clothes. I could care less. I am a Kohl's shopper myself. But, Kohl's is the only retailer that I have seen offering the flamingo fabric clothing for sale "in-store". Hence my comment.

I did not know that was why you made the comment.......thank you for the explanation. I actually shopped there this

weekend:)

I did not know that was why you made the comment.......thank you for the explanation. I actually shopped there this

weekend:)

You bet! And, thanks for being understanding as my light handed comment was merely made in jest and not as an attack of the Kohl's shopper.

Sorry to thread jack, but perhaps Silversea should actually change the name to Silverseas. I've never heard any other cruise line or airline suffer from so much mispronunciation. My husband will never get it right! They do sail multiple seas, so I guess this makes sense for some people. In the meantime, it is Silversea!