Restaurant bookings

Sunday golf

it is a while since my last seabourn cruise. I know in the evening that the main restaurant is open seating and you need to book for the New Grill and The Patio Grill. On reading the messages looks as if you need to book for the Colonnade especially if you want to eat outside. Is that right? Can you book once onboard or can you do it on line?

I wasn't aware that we now have to book the Patio Grill. If that is the case I'm extremely disappointed because one of the things I enjoyed about Seabourn was the choice of three restaurants in the evening where no reservation was required. Now we have a choice of one!

The Colonnade situation seems to depend on which ship you're on and what phase the moon is in! Seriously, on my last cruise the protocol for evenings in the Colonnade was 'Reservations Recommended'. Nobody seemed to pay much attention to that, getting a table for dinner was never a problem for me even though the ship was full, but I do tend to dine later. Those who like to dine at more popular times may have a different story.

You don't mention when you're sailing or what month, but bear in mind that Sojourn won't have the Thomas Keller Grill until December, it's still R2 until then.

On our last cruise (Sojourn October 2016), we started reserving the Colonnade. We like to eat outside and that way we could be certain of getting a table. However, while it was reservation recommended, it was not reservation required and it was possible to just turn up without one.

The Patio Grill was not by reservation and it got busy quite quickly due to the pleasant weather. In the case of the Patio it was show up fairly early or risk disappointment.

The only restaurant that you can make reservations for prior to embarkation is the TK Grill. The rest you do onboard if needed. SB still has the most flexible dining situation of all the luxury lines. The others ask you reserve months in advance for specialty restaurants. And the new Silversea ships the Muse, is a disaster imo as there is no MDR and no open seating and you need to reserve months in advance for any of their restaurants.

Can anyone confirm whether reservations are now needed for the Patio Grill? I was last onboard in October '16 , certainly wasn't the case then.

No reservations needed for the Patio Grill. I don't even think they take them.

No reservations needed for the Patio Grill. I don't even think they take them.

I didn't even think they take them either so I was very surprised to read in the OP that they're now required. I thought something must have changed in the last 6 months since I got off Quest.

Let's hope Seabourn keep it that way. I would hate to have only the MDR to choose for dinner in future. Not at all my idea of luxury!

I didn't even think they take them either so I was very surprised to read in the OP that they're now required. I thought something must have changed in the last 6 months since I got off Quest.

Let's hope Seabourn keep it that way. I would hate to have only the MDR to choose for dinner in future. Not at all my idea of luxury!

I think the OP must have misread that. Maybe he meant the Keller nights at the Colonnade?

We last sailed on the quest oct 21015 and then had to book the patio grill in the evening and of course restaurant 2. From what I read a lot depends on the food and beverage team on individual sailings. Looking forward to going back in September. Thanks for the help.

We last sailed on the quest oct 21015 and then had to book the patio grill in the evening and of course restaurant 2. From what I read a lot depends on the food and beverage team on individual sailings. Looking forward to going back in September. Thanks for the help.

We stand corrected. Booking for the Patio is really a surprise.

We were on the Quest 16 nights, off 5/1/17. The Colonnade only required reservations on TK nights when they had special menus ( ribs, clam bake, fried chicken). TK Grill required reservations every night, though you might get lucky with just a dropin.

However, "reservations suggested" do not hurt in the Colonnade on non-TK nights, but even then you cannot guarantee table of your choice anyway unless you come early.

Patio did not require reservations, but with nice weather, I strongly suggest you make them, as they only have a few tables ( less than the physical space could hold) and it was often packed, so usually there was no place to sit if we just popped in at dinner ( and at lunch). Even when we showed at 8:30 it was packed and a table did not clear till 8:45, we had to keep an eye out for opening as staff had forgotten us after we checked in to wait.

We stand corrected. Booking for the Patio is really a surprise.

I'm not sure I'm ready to stand corrected :D

I've taken several cruises since the OP's 2015 cruise and never had to book the Patio.

My most recent was right at the end of October 2016 so I had assumed this change had taken place since then. Unless someone else comes along and states that they also had to book for Patio on a different cruise, I'm wondering if it was a one-off situation on OP's cruise maybe due to weather or other operational reasons. Never heard of it before - either onboard or on CC.

On Quest, (don't remember exactly when but would be around 2015 I think) DH and I were enjoying a quite drink at a Patio Grill table whilst watching the sunset. We then decided to stay put and have dinner there as it was such a lovely evening.

We were surprised to be asked to change tables as the one we were at was booked for dinner!

First and last time that has ever happened.

Again on Quest, last year, it was necessary to book in Colonnade every night for dinner, not just TK. It was a trial and fortunately they dropped that idea after many complaints from passengers. Bookings are still required for TK nights.

On a related note, how far in advance can we make reservations for Thomas Keller? We make final payment soon, I would guess that the period for making reservations is somehow tied to that. Thanks for you help with this. Cruise Critic members are ALWAYS the best source of information.

Mom C

I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary to book for TK Grill online because they say they guarantee everyone can eat there at least once. Of course, if you want to eat at a specific time then I think you could book TK when you book excursions, spa treatments etc.

On a related note, how far in advance can we make reservations for Thomas Keller? We make final payment soon, I would guess that the period for making reservations is somehow tied to that. Thanks for you help with this. Cruise Critic members are ALWAYS the best source of information.

Mom C

I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary to book for TK Grill online because they say they guarantee everyone can eat there at least once. Of course, if you want to eat at a specific time then I think you could book TK when you book excursions, spa treatments etc.

To make reservations, log onto your account and navigate to the area which allows purchases. You will see restaurant reservations listed.

Mom C

Our cruise is December 5. We were able to make reservations three weeks ago, long before final payment

I booked well before final payment. The uncertainty is knowing what might be planned in the other dining areas for that night. For instance, I booked on day 3 which is a sea day. It will probably turn out to be a formal night which we quite enjoy in the MDR.

We didn't really enjoy the TK offerings last year so we will leave it until we are onboard - if there is something we fancy on the Grill menu on a night we can get in we will give it a try if not I'm sure we won't go hungry with the other venues onboard ;)

I would think it depends on the ship - on the Odyssey class, where they have been 'converted' to TK the restaurants are small, on Encore it must be quite a lot larger? So pre-booking on Encore maybe not so essential?

Techno,

We also did not like the TK offerings we tried last June in the MDR on the Odyssey but the Grill menu bears no resemblance to those dishes as it really is a different concept -- it is modeled after the classic New York steakhouse. There is a standard roster of dishes and a special every night. When we were on the Quest over the holidays this year for 24 days were were able to dine there half a dozen times. It is a lovely intimate space, the quality of the ingredients very good and the service outstanding. I would hope that you do try it once and let us know your thoughts. I am actually quite sad that on my upcoming Alaska cruise I won't have the opportunity to dine there as Sojourn won't undergo conversion until December.

Sent from my iPad using Forums