Formal Nights

lita24

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Thank you for that input, but jeans designer or whatever is not dressing up. Part of the charm of cruising is those nights we get to play dress up and shine. With all due respect, I would feel like an idiot in a cocktail or full length dress, next to someone wearing jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that input, but jeans designer or whatever is not dressing up. Part of the charm of cruising is those nights we get to play dress up and shine. With all due respect, I would feel like an idiot in a cocktail or full length dress, next to someone wearing jeans.

You don't have to wear a cocktail or full length dress so that solves the problem of your feeling like an idiot being next to someone wearing jeans. I would go ahead though and wear the full lengh dress if that is what pleases you and not worry about what others are wearing. I was onboard Celebrity a couple of weeks ago and people were mixing it up pretty well on Evening Chic.

Nobody, and I mean nobody – is ever going to see agreement across the aisles, as it were, on what appropriate attire is.

On debating indecency laws, a United States Supreme Court Justice once said, 'I don't know how to define it, but I know it when I see it'. The same gray area applies to people CHOOSING to look like a#s.

People are going to wear whatever they want- I like the fact that you're taking care of what you want to wear- it takes effort and many people appreciate it.

Edited by bob221b1

We have not attended dinner on formal nights on Celebrity in quite some time.

We typically pack casual clothes since the cruise is part of a longer land based vacation.

We eat in one of the alternative venues or in the buffet. We have however noticed that over the past five years or so there fewer people dressing up and more casual. We have noticed this on Caribbean, Med, and Transatlantic cruises.

I would encourage you to dress the way you wish-up or down. There is room for everyone on Celebrity. Just select the dining venue that you feel comfortable with. One thing is for certain...there is not longer a requirement for dress shirts/ties/jackets/suits etc. in the MDR. We may in fact go back to the MDR on gala night on our next Celebrity cruise just to try it out. My sense is that more and more people want casual. It is not so much dumbing down as it is changing values. People don't seem to want the pretense any more nor do they want to pack all that extra clothing for a few hours on two or three nights.

Edited by iancal

Then that's on you. My 50th was on a smart casual night and I didn't think twice about dressing up. Didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I did have a couple of people look worried and asked if it was "chic" night and they missed the memo but no worries whatsoever. Don't base what you want to wear on someone else.

It is up to the individual to choose.

You can choose to be uncomfortable and not have a good time or you can choose to be comfortable and have a good time.

Everyone gets to choose.

Edited by iancal

On our upcoming cruise to Bermuda my mom, sister and myself are "dressing up" for the first formal night in Luminae (something we would wear to an evening wedding) and won't feel out of place at all!

Its part of the aura and fun of cruising. My husband and son will wear suits with a dress shirt, no tie. We're excited about the evening and hope we aren't in the minority!

The 2nd evening chic we will dress more casual (summer dresses for us girls, dockers and collared shirts for my boys)

As far as others, IMHO they should respect what Celebrity's guidelines are for dress in the dining rooms, but if they don't, it has zero impact on me and my family enjoying ourselves.

I just shake my head at people who come here and complain about what other people are wearing as if their entire vacation was ruined because some guy had jeans on at the table next to them.

Relax, it's vacation!

You don't have to wear a cocktail or full length dress so that solves the problem of your feeling like an idiot being next to someone wearing jeans. I would go ahead though and wear the full lengh dress if that is what pleases you and not worry about what others are wearing. I was onboard Celebrity a couple of weeks ago and people were mixing it up pretty well on Evening Chic.

I guess you missed my point. But that's okay. It's one of the things I enjoy of being on the ship. So if need be, I will find another venue.

Cacha my darling you're killing me hah! Now you know me - you've seen how we dress... On our second "Evening Chic" night on Solstice I wore skinny black jeans, killer heels and a stunning white embellished top - I was really happy in my outfit and hubby (whom you also know) was uncomfortable in his suit and tie and wishing he had worn a nice shirt and trousers. He was REALLY glad he left his kilt at home as he really would have been much overdressed. I did have cocktail dresses with me - wore one the first night - and we do dress pretty chic every night (as do you!).. The problem is jeans are open to various styles - pair of baggies halfway down the bum is not the same as a pair of skinnys worn with heels. I do think Europeans are very stylish - Chic to a European is pretty much the norm.

We (the three amigos) are all on NCL for next three transatlantics - (well cousin J is on two of them) don't think we will take the kilts this time.

(( xx ))

PS sorry keep thinking we met you on Epic - wasn't was it - was Equinox.. :)

Edited by Blondie008

Cacha my darling you're killing me hah! Now you know me - you've seen how we dress... On our second "Evening Chic" night on Solstice I wore skinny black jeans, killer heels and a stunning white embellished top - I was really happy in my outfit and hubby (whom you also know) was uncomfortable in his suit and tie and wishing he had worn a nice shirt and trousers. He was REALLY glad he left his kilt at home as he really would have been much overdressed. I did have cocktail dresses with me - wore one the first night - and we do dress pretty chic every night (as do you!).. The problem is jeans are open to various styles - pair of baggies halfway down the bum is not the same as a pair of skinnys worn with heels. I do think Europeans are very stylish - Chic to a European is pretty much the norm.

We (the three amigos) are all on NCL for next three transatlantics - (well cousin J is on two of them) don't think we will take the kilts this time.

(( xx ))

PS sorry keep thinking we met you on Epic - wasn't was it - was Equinox.. :)

Yes it was the Equinox, skinny jeans not me. Legs too fat[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. I realize it's a move to a a less formal, however, I like formal. It's fun. And darlin you always turn heads.

Doing a 12 day Med on NCL and a holiday Cruise on X in December. After that a break for about a year from cruising. IMO I already live in Paradise. Maybe a DIY to Northern Europe and the BI Scotland. Not limping anymore.

Hugs [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

Currently on the Eclipse. I would estimate well over 70% in black tie on first chic night. Good to see.

Made a conscious decision this cruise to not take formal clothes after the "chic" announcement. Big mistake, felt distinctly under dressed in a "normal" jacket.

Currently on the Eclipse. I would estimate well over 70% in black tie on first chic night. Good to see.

Made a conscious decision this cruise to not take formal clothes after the "chic" announcement. Big mistake, felt distinctly under dressed in a "normal" jacket.

We are doing same cruise in a couple of weeks. What night is the first evening chic? If you would be so kind.

On our upcoming cruise to Bermuda my mom, sister and myself are "dressing up" for the first formal night in Luminae (something we would wear to an evening wedding) and won't feel out of place at all!

Its part of the aura and fun of cruising. My husband and son will wear suits with a dress shirt, no tie. We're excited about the evening and hope we aren't in the minority!

The 2nd evening chic we will dress more casual (summer dresses for us girls, dockers and collared shirts for my boys)

As far as others, IMHO they should respect what Celebrity's guidelines are for dress in the dining rooms, but if they don't, it has zero impact on me and my family enjoying ourselves.

I just shake my head at people who come here and complain about what other people are wearing as if their entire vacation was ruined because some guy had jeans on at the table next to them.

Relax, it's vacation!

I don't believe they have Evening Chic evenings in Luminae. My understanding is that Luminae is smart casual for all evenings. Only the main dining room (traditional/select) has the Evening Chic nights.

Relax, it's vacation!

I don't worry about what anyone wears. X has changed their policy designer jeans allowed, can't wait till someone comes in swaging with their designer jeans. On the main note, I like Formal night. I cruise alone, and would feel stupid to be the only one on board that dresses formal for chic night. It's the way I feel. If I want informal, I will go elsewhere and save quite a bit of money. Simple. I love cruising and I have never not enjoyed a cruise because passengers have a different dress style. What can I say.

And yes it's a vacation, to escape the ordinary. Heck I dress smarter to go to the market, than many on vacation. To each their own I guess. Some of us have worked very hard in our careers, and once in a while we want to feel radiant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe they have Evening Chic evenings in Luminae. My understanding is that Luminae is smart casual for all evenings. Only the main dining room (traditional/select) has the Evening Chic nights.

You are correct, Luminae is smart casual every evening.

What I was stating was that even though this is the case, my family and I are dressing up for the first evening chic night on our upcoming cruise, even though we will be dining in Luminae.

Edited by CruisersTimesThree

I personally don't care much what people wear so long as they are clean and tidy,although hubby and I like to dress nicely for dinner without going over the top. I had to laugh on our last cruise at a very snobby older man who commented very loudly on Chic night about the standard slipping etc..he was wearing a WHITE dinner jacket in the Baltics, I thought come on, if you are going to criticise others at least get it right yourself before you do so.

• 11 months later...
Are you serious? Steps above others who choose not to over pack on voyages like mine where I fly to China?

I think they are improving the experience. If you feel "dumbed down" then this is not the line for you. Celebrity is a mass market line so of course they respond to what the masses want, You'd be more comfortable on Crystal where they dress more formal.

Your statement says it all "These corporations are trying to attract more customers" They are responding to what MORE people want and not dumbing down anything.

I am nearly the last man standing from a distinguished line of entertainment professionals who

brought to you so many of the properties you loved. They were trend spotters and setters with their

highly successful choices and they would point out that what makes a movie really successful is

based on the repeat visits. I would then ask for the statistics on the repeat cruise frequency and

the average age of a formal nighter. I think we are a dying group. We used to cruise 3 to 4 times a year but they were losing that certain capacity to stimulate a really good time. Originally NO cruise

line I have ever seen threw parties with the over the top let go as Royal did back in the older days.

They put studio and Oscar nite parties to shame. We have abandoned cruising not due to the reduction in amenities but to the passing of entertainment. All staff used to entertain us. Singing,

dancing, story telling, napkin animals...and in costume. They were all amateurs, but they stood

among many of the most talented.

And for a time they had such good dancers....and I loved every move and step. I could not join them as arthritis has taken its insidious toll. But in my youngest days, there was Fosse,

The more good times one has, the less one sweats the small stuff. Or maybe I don't get it.

When was the last time we saw a flash performance? A strolling musician or singer at dinner?