Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread (Updated July 2016)

Andy

Hi Everyone,

In an effort to create an improved experience regarding Dress Codes, we are trying out a new feature, by creating a "Sticky" thread. This New thread is to be used for all discussions regarding Celebrity's Dress Code policy.

We have established this thread, as the "go to" thread for all discussions pertaining to Celebrity Cruise Line's Dress Code policies. This thread is intended to make it easier for all Cruise Critic members to discuss current policies and any future changes. This is in lieu of having multiple simultaneous threads containing various discussions. We will combine all new posts and threads to this thread. Please follow our lead and post your questions and comments about Celebrity's Dress Code policies on this thread.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to email us.

Thank you to all for participating in our community !

Sincerely,

Host Andy

Host Walt

Here's the current Celebrity policy (As of December 2015)

Q: What is the onboard dress code?

A: Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Edited by Host Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I've read and I understand the new evening chic policy but I still need a little help.

My boyfriend and I don't get dressed up in tuxes and ballgowns but we always adhere by the dress codes on the ship. With this new policy I'm confused. I have two dresses that I'd like some opinions on.

Suit Dress with silver zipper detail on side (mine is actually heather grey but i could only find a blue version online). I think with some dressy shoes and a shawl or jewelry this could be dressy enough for a evening chic night.

Polka dot dress. I bought this dress to just have as a casual dress but i find it's too dressy for most places. I'm not sure I could wear this on evening chic night but I'm sure it's fine for the casual nights.

Has anyone who is recently back seen dresses like these on evening chic or casual nights?

dress2.jpg.232a56cde509b629c5044fa7a4b75b24.jpg

dress3.jpg.b1ec985245c2ac2341b43fea60e5ce89.jpg

I cannot say that I understand the Celebrity dress code to be a "code" at all. When Celebrity says pax "should feel comfortable wearing..." and "... get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way," it does not sound like a dress "code" to me at all, but merely a set of suggestions.

The only part of the Celebrity "dress code" that seems to be an actual code --as in an objective and enforceable rule or standard rather than a matter of opinion -- is the list of what pax may not wear in the dining room or specialty restaurants or in the Celebrity Theater in the evening: "T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear."

However, even that seemingly "cut and dried" list is open to interpretation.

No tees? Better not wear THIS over your designer jeans:

MULTI-b120d2f8-.jpegZ

No tank tops? So one could not wear THIS with a nice skirt:

07a3bb7b6f28a426e5d25422e1677ebf.jpg

No pool wear? Don't put on your Trina Turk long swim cover-up:

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=104103126

Then there is the very confusing statement: " Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours." Not allowed in the evening hours where? In the dining room and specialty restaurants or theater? Or anywhere on board? Either way, better not wear THESE rhinestone-embellished numbers, even with your "cocktail dress, skirt, pants, or designer jeans:"

image3xxl.jpg

Don't get me wrong -- I think I have a pretty good handle on the "spirit" of Celebrity's so-called dress code. In my book, it boils down to "We are trying to portray ourselves as a "Modern Luxury" cruise line and therefore some of your fellow passengers expect you to dress up a little! Make an effort!" Nothing more.

No one can nay-say any wardrobe decision you make, since the official instructions are to "get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way."

I cannot say that I understand the Celebrity dress code to be a "code" at all. When Celebrity says pax "should feel comfortable wearing..." and "... get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way," it does not sound like a dress "code" to me at all, but merely a set of suggestions.

The only part of the Celebrity "dress code" that seems to be an actual code --as in an objective and enforceable rule or standard rather than a matter of opinion -- is the list of what pax may not wear in the dining room or specialty restaurants or in the Celebrity Theater in the evening: "T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear."

I can say I understand, a person you likes to dress when the occasion arises,

I am disappointed with the move. I only been cruising a little less than 3 years, I feel I showed up to late to the ball. [emoji853]

Love your interpretation SeagoingMom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Celebrity Guidelines state that there will be 2 Evening Chic nights on a cruise of over 7 days, but I have read posts on another thread that say there were 3 Evening Chic nights on their Baltic Cruise on Eclipse (July 3rd )

How many Evening Chic nights can we expect on our July 31st Baltic Cruise on Eclipse?

I can say I understand, a person you likes to dress when the occasion arises,

I am disappointed with the move. I only been cruising a little less than 3 years, I feel I showed up to late to the ball. [emoji853]

Love your interpretation SeagoingMom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't fret over being "late to the ball." If you want to dress to the nines, I say, do it! No reason why not -- Celebrity, as you see, encourages you to glam yourself up as much as you like! We have been cruising for 10 years and have almost always been overdressed, compared to the average cruiser. We love it! :rolleyes:

The Celebrity Guidelines state that there will be 2 Evening Chic nights on a cruise of over 7 days, but I have read posts on another thread that say there were 3 Evening Chic nights on their Baltic Cruise on Eclipse (July 3rd )

How many Evening Chic nights can we expect on our July 31st Baltic Cruise on Eclipse?

We too are on this cruise! I am going to end up with far too many clothes at this rate as the lines have become very blurred and I simply cannot decide what is "chic" and what is "smart casual". I think I always wear "chic" on an evening and generally go for black and a bit of bling on formal nights! Think there will be a lot of people watching from now on!!

I've read and I understand the new evening chic policy but I still need a little help.

My boyfriend and I don't get dressed up in tuxes and ballgowns but we always adhere by the dress codes on the ship. With this new policy I'm confused. I have two dresses that I'd like some opinions on.

Suit Dress with silver zipper detail on side (mine is actually heather grey but i could only find a blue version online). I think with some dressy shoes and a shawl or jewelry this could be dressy enough for a evening chic night.

Absolutely, especially as you describe the rest of the outfit. Love the zipper detail. You could use contrasting red if you wanted to stand out, or use a tonal shade of gray for a sophisticated look. If I had the figure for it, that is what I would wear, and I have been on enough Celebrity cruises to have a good feel for it.

Polka dot dress. I bought this dress to just have as a casual dress but i find it's too dressy for most places. I'm not sure I could wear this on evening chic night but I'm sure it's fine for the casual nights.

You could easily get away with it on evening chic nights, but it is a pretty dress suitable for almost any evening. It also looks like a nice day dress as well. You are definitely on the right track, and as you cruise more, you will discover your cruising style and what makes you feel best.

Has anyone who is recently back seen dresses like these on evening chic or casual nights?

Please see my responses within your query.

Scanditaly.

I have not sailed Celebrity in a long time.

Are there teens in the dinning room withdress shorts, shoes and a button down shirt. I know they say no shorts but was wondering if kids in dress shorts, shoes and button down is acceptable? Thanks

We didn't see any teens in shorts in the dining room for dinner, but did see at least 5 men in shorts within our immediate vicinity. DH was a bit put out because he followed the guidelines and they clearly weren't stopping anyone in shorts being allowed into the dining room at dinner time.

Have sailed Celebrity many times but this was the first sailing since evening chic was introduced. We sailed on the July 1st Baltic cruise on the silhouette. I took my Tuxedo as usual and I must admit I always feel overdressed eating a meal in a tuxedo but I have always adhered to the rules.On the first evening chic night we went down to anytime dining and whilst walking and taking the lift to the restaurants alarm bells were beginning to ring. I did not see anybody else in a tuxedo. Whilst queuing for a table I was the only one . In front of me was a young American couple, he was wearing a teeshirt and jeans. His ladyfriend blouse, skirt and flipflops. There were not many people at all wearing tuxedos, I would guess less than 5%. About 15% were wearing jackets. The problem with evening chic is that everybody no matter how they are dressed think they are chic.On the final 2 chic nights I did not bother with the tuxedo.

Have sailed Celebrity many times but this was the first sailing since evening chic was introduced. We sailed on the July 1st Baltic cruise on the silhouette. I took my Tuxedo as usual and I must admit I always feel overdressed eating a meal in a tuxedo but I have always adhered to the rules.On the first evening chic night we went down to anytime dining and whilst walking and taking the lift to the restaurants alarm bells were beginning to ring. I did not see anybody else in a tuxedo. Whilst queuing for a table I was the only one . In front of me was a young American couple, he was wearing a teeshirt and jeans. His ladyfriend blouse, skirt and flipflops. There were not many people at all wearing tuxedos, I would guess less than 5%. About 15% were wearing jackets. The problem with evening chic is that everybody no matter how they are dressed think they are chic.On the final 2 chic nights I did not bother with the tuxedo.

And this, I think, lays bare the goal of the new dress code: to allow those who want to dress casually to feel comfortable doing so. And the result is that those who want to dress formally (really formally, in your case -- in a tux! -- good for you!) end up feeling out of place. Based on how uncomfortable you felt standing out in the crowd, it seems the suggestion from Celebrity that one "glam up as much as one likes" really should read, "Glam up as much as you dare!"

Whether we are happy with it or not, I think we can safely say that the tradition of dressing up on cruises is defunct. Period. Isn't to say one can't do it, but the "tradition" is no longer.

[Hi,

I've learned over time (and over 50 cruises) that the guests were what they are comfortable wearing. The days and nights of tuxedo and white dinner jacket being pretty much necessary are gone.

women seem to wear whatever they choose or have in their closets. ie long gowns, short dresses and anything in between.

I, for one, am happy to see the dress code relaxed. It makes packing for a long journey much easier.

I would NOT, however, wear jeans to the dining room and don't appreciate those who show up in shorts and get away with it!

Dianne

Victoria BC

ps your dresses look lovely

QUOTE=Rhayne;50534617]I've read and I understand the new evening chic policy but I still need a little help.

Is there a list of clothing that cannot be worn on evening chic? Apart from the obvious shorts or beachwear. My boys wear designers jeans and polo shirts etc with smart trainers, are smart trainers allowed? I can't find anywhere that says trainers not allowed? I'm pleased with the relaxed dress code, people can look just as good in well cut designer casual clothes, however some people wear cheap suits/tuxedos which in my opinion look worse...:)

Is there a list of clothing that cannot be worn on evening chic? Apart from the obvious shorts or beachwear. My boys wear designers jeans and polo shirts etc with smart trainers, are smart trainers allowed? I can't find anywhere that says trainers not allowed? I'm pleased with the relaxed dress code, people can look just as good in well cut designer casual clothes, however some people wear cheap suits/tuxedos which in my opinion look worse...:)

Per Celebrity. What are "smart trainers"? You posted with... so if you mean sneakers/vans yes they are acceptable.

Q: What is the onboard dress code?

A: Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Per Celebrity. So yes jeans are acceptable. What are smart trainers?

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by davekathy

In reality then, there isn't much of a dress code at all? That's suits us as a family as we are smart casual anyway, and generally wear designer casual clothing/shoes/trainers, but I can see that people dining in scruffy clothes of any description or shorts/jogging bottoms would be not be a great look.. I don't think men should be penalised for not wearing a suit anyway as I said in last comment some suits worn are very cheap looking anyway, especially if they are years old and only come out of the wardrobe for cruising..:):)

We are on the Eclipse in a few weeks time.This will be the first time since the change from formal evenings .

We find the new dress code confusing to say the least. We enjoy wearing formal wear and find these days that there is little opportunity to do so.On a cruise there has been traditional events where on some evenings there has been an excuse to dust off the Tux.

I thought that I would pack my tux and white DJ . On reading the board here I have now changed my mind and will just be taking a linen jacket with a button down shirt ,shame.

Celebrity over the past 4 -5 years have been making formal evenings less of an event with menus the same and senior officers less in evident.So, it is not surprising that Celebrity is leaning more and more to the casual and I expect that dining will be anything goes in the end.Why change the formal evenings which many enjoy like us when there is ample opportunity to dine in casual eateries elsewhere on the ship where formal attire is not needed for those who only wish to dress casually.

In reality then, there isn't much of a dress code at all? That's suits us as a family as we are smart casual anyway, and generally wear designer casual clothing/shoes/trainers, but I can see that people dining in scruffy clothes of any description or shorts/jogging bottoms would be not be a great look.. I don't think men should be penalised for not wearing a suit anyway as I said in last comment some suits worn are very cheap looking anyway, especially if they are years old and only come out of the wardrobe for cruising..:):)

Your comments made me smile! Unfortunately, as you point out, nothing in any dress code, past or present, requires that the garments described must actually be either well made, stylish or flattering! :rolleyes:

Your comments made me smile! Unfortunately, as you point out, nothing in any dress code, past or present, requires that the garments described must actually be either well made, stylish or flattering! :rolleyes:

Glad that's made you smile...:) it so true though, Iv seen some awful bad fitting suits and scruffy shoes in the past... I don't understand why people think that wearing suits/tuxedos is a must, each to their own I say, if people are happy and feel good wearing them then that is great, but don't expect everyone to feel the same. Cruising is changing, a lot of people don't want formality anymore. its your holiday, you should not be made to do something you don't want too...:):cool::rolleyes:

Glad that's made you smile...:) it so true though, Iv seen some awful bad fitting suits and scruffy shoes in the past... I don't understand why people think that wearing suits/tuxedos is a must, each to their own I say, if people are happy and feel good wearing them then that is great, but don't expect everyone to feel the same. Cruising is changing, a lot of people don't want formality anymore. its your holiday, you should not be made to do something you don't want too...:):cool::rolleyes:

In answer to your question above, maybe because the cruise line dress code said it was a must? Of course, many never adhered to the dress code, and now, those that want to dress "to the nines" may feel like they stick out.

My own original desire to dress up for formal nights was based on cruise ship images from old movies and TV shows, where all the passengers would be glittering in tuxes, evening gowns and jewels in the dining room! My desire to have that sort of atmosphere on board caused me to choose a cruiseline that had a dress code which matched that image, hoping other pax would follow the code, and I would experience that old-fashioned, Hollywood-style cruise. Of course, many didn't follow the code, and my cruise experience didn't exactly match the Hollywood image.

Truth be told, neither DH nor I followed the formal night code either, strictly speaking. Celebrity's dress code, when we sailed 10 years ago, said men should wear tuxes, dinner jackets, or suits -- my husband wore dress shirt, tie, dress pants and a sport coat -- and ladies should wear gowns or cocktail dresses -- I wore more what I would call a "party" dress -- though I suppose it is difficult to distinguish a party dress from a "cocktail" dress. I never wore a gown; I wanted to, but purchasing a gown was so expensive for so few uses (we don't cruise often, and I don't attend other functions where gowns are worn).

We still like to dress up for dinner -- "dress up" according to our own definition ("each to their own," as you said) -- and will probably still do it. We may stick out, but we don't mind. On the other hand, my husband may forego the bother of dress shirt and tie, and maybe even the jacket, on future cruises -- but I'm going to keep lobbying for the jacket, at least! :)

As you point out, times have changed, and in the last ten years, our views about what we want to get out of (and therefore put into) a cruise have changed, too.

In answer to your question above, maybe because the cruise line dress code said it was a must? Of course, many never adhered to the dress code, and now, those that want to dress "to the nines" may feel like they stick out.

My own original desire to dress up for formal nights was based on cruise ship images from old movies and TV shows, where all the passengers would be glittering in tuxes, evening gowns and jewels in the dining room! My desire to have that sort of atmosphere on board caused me to choose a cruiseline that had a dress code which matched that image, hoping other pax would follow the code, and I would experience that old-fashioned, Hollywood-style cruise. Of course, many didn't follow the code, and my cruise experience didn't exactly match the Hollywood image.

Truth be told, neither DH nor I followed the formal night code either, strictly speaking. Celebrity's dress code, when we sailed 10 years ago, said men should wear tuxes, dinner jackets, or suits -- my husband wore dress shirt, tie, dress pants and a sport coat -- and ladies should wear gowns or cocktail dresses -- I wore more what I would call a "party" dress -- though I suppose it is difficult to distinguish a party dress from a "cocktail" dress. I never wore a gown; I wanted to, but purchasing a gown was so expensive for so few uses (we don't cruise often, and I don't attend other functions where gowns are worn).

We still like to dress up for dinner -- "dress up" according to our own definition ("each to their own," as you said) -- and will probably still do it. We may stick out, but we don't mind. On the other hand, my husband may forego the bother of dress shirt and tie, and maybe even the jacket, on future cruises -- but I'm going to keep lobbying for the jacket, at least! :)

As you point out, times have changed, and in the last ten years, our views about what we want to get out of (and therefore put into) a cruise have changed, too.

Thanks for you comments, I do agree.. Nobody wants to feel pressured. Happy cruising..:)

• 2 weeks later...

So this is what celebrity state:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

I for one are happy to accept the guidance from Celebrity, even though I really loved to 'go formal' and will probably be overdressed in future. But what is annoying is that even though Celebrity state that "The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants." There are people on this thread confirming that shorts are still making an appearance in the MDR even on chic night. I see no point in making this statement if nothing is actually enforced.

As an aside, I have never really understood what a tank top actually is. In the 70's it was a tight fitting knitted sleeveless sweater worn over a shirt, so I am sure it must be something different now. Probably based on something military. And I still chuckle when I imagine all the ladies and men turning up to dinner in their pants. To me, pants are undergarments so what a sight that would be, :eek::)