Exchange money

waterguy631

How much should my girlfriend and I exchange. We are stay 2 nights at the Moorea Hilton in the over waterbunglows and a 7 day wind star cruise after that. Are there places to exchange more in all the ports we stop at ?

No banks close to Hilton Moorea. However, there are ATM's close to the ship dock in PPT. One across the street from the ship and one inside the ferry terminal next door. (see attachment)

There is also an ATM when you come out of customs at the PPT airport. (see attachment)

BTW, there are a few places to eat close to the Hilton. (see attachment)

Cheap eats close to the Moorea Hilton.pdf

PPT airport.pdf

Around the ship dock area of Papeete.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
No banks close to Hilton Moorea. However, there are ATM's close to the ship dock in PPT. One across the street from the ship and one inside the ferry terminal next door. (see attachment)

There is also an ATM when you come out of customs at the PPT airport. (see attachment)

BTW, there are a few places to eat close to the Hilton. (see attachment)

Thank you this information.

I'm cruising the end of this month on Paul Gauguin, and I'm trying to figure out how much money to exchange into local currency. I don't plan on buying a lot of gifts. However, I am interested in vanilla, a painted pareo, a few pearls, and maybe a meal at Bloody Mary's. A rough estimate would be appreciated as a starting point. Any advice or general cost of items would be appreciated. TIA

Thank you this information.

I'm cruising the end of this month on Paul Gauguin, and I'm trying to figure out how much money to exchange into local currency. I don't plan on buying a lot of gifts. However, I am interested in vanilla, a painted pareo, a few pearls, and maybe a meal at Bloody Mary's. A rough estimate would be appreciated as a starting point. Any advice or general cost of items would be appreciated. TIA

Bloody Mary's - Figure $250 USD for 2 people with all the trimmings

Vanilla can be bought for $20 for a small bottle to buying raw beans by the kilo which is now expensive, about $600 kilo.

Pareo can be had for $20 and up

Pearls can be bought for $10 and up. A decent pearl that looks nice can be had for $75. If you want a large, quality pearl you can easily spend $1000 or more for one pearl.

Thank you! Those were the ball park figures I was asking for.

Is it essential to get XFP or can the above transactions be done in USD? I understand some small vendors may prefer XFP. I'm still a bit confused about how much USD cash and XFP to have on hand.

Tahtianbigkahuna, I want to thank you for all of your comments across this board. I spent a long time last night reading threads, looking for gems of info. Your posts are most helpful. (Amongst a few others).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Those were the ball park figures I was asking for.

Is it essential to get XFP or can the above transactions be done in USD? I understand some small vendors may prefer XFP. I'm still a bit confused about how much USD cash and XFP to have on hand.

Tahtianbigkahuna, I want to thank you for all of your comments across this board. I spent a long time last night reading threads, looking for gems of info. Your posts are most helpful. (Amongst a few others).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the kind words ........... I consider myself an ambassador of the Paul Gauguin, my second home :)

You will always get the best purchasing power by paying in XFP ;)

Just a bit of advice. If you are a customer of a regional bank in the states. ask about the exchange rate for US>XPF. Last year on our Oceania cruise to the FP, we got a terriific rate at home for XPF, better than ATM's etc. Seems some banks want to unload these minor currencies, especially with the strong Dollar

Where would you recommend to look for pearls.

Thank you

Bloody Mary's - Figure $250 USD for 2 people with all the trimmings

Vanilla can be bought for $20 for a small bottle to buying raw beans by the kilo which is now expensive, about $600 kilo.

Pareo can be had for $20 and up

Pearls can be bought for $10 and up. A decent pearl that looks nice can be had for $75. If you want a large, quality pearl you can easily spend $1000 or more for one pearl.

We will be on Moorea, Tahaa, Raiatea, Bora Bora and Huahine. Looking for good prices and unusual jewelry. My girlfriend Knows pearls well so she can pick the quality.

See attachment

2 blocks away from the ship in PPT.

This is a good place to go if you know pearls ....... You buy raw pearls though they will drill holes if you ask.

Pearls.pdf

Poor planning on my part has me semi-panicking about the currency exchange. Yeah, I know, I should've looked into this sooner. I had no idea I would be having difficulty.

Is the ATM at PPT a truly viable option? Is it prone to run out of money, or be inoperable often?

As an east coaster, the XPF seems to be a unicorn, and the rates listed are horrible. Since I don't bank with any banks on the west coast, exchanging in LA isn't possible AFAIK. The travel exchange place at LAX doesn't even carry them according to their website. *sigh*

Poor planning on my part has me semi-panicking about the currency exchange. Yeah, I know, I should've looked into this sooner. I had no idea I would be having difficulty.Is the ATM at PPT a truly viable option? Is it prone to run out of money, or be inoperable often? As an east coaster, the XPF seems to be a unicorn, and the rates listed are horrible. Since I don't bank with any banks on the west coast, exchanging in LA isn't possible AFAIK. The travel exchange place at LAX doesn't even carry them according to their website. *sigh*

The exchange at LAX does have XFP. But ..... the exchange rate is horrible, don't do it.Many ATM's to choose from. And yes, sometimes they run out of money or there is a problem with your card on the machine. The good thing is there are banks all around the area close to the ship or the major resorts will exchange a limited amount each day with a fair rate.See attachments

PPT airport.pdf

PPT.pdf

The exchange at LAX does have XFP. But ..... the exchange rate is horrible, don't do it.Many ATM's to choose from. And yes, sometimes they run out of money or there is a problem with your card on the machine. The good thing is there are banks all around the area close to the ship or the major resorts will exchange a limited amount each day with a fair rate.See attachments

Thank you for the info. I posted in a panic last night. Mainly was worried b/c we are literally arriving right before departure in PPT. I didn't want to be rushed out of the airport, onto the awaiting shuttle bus, with no time for the ATM. Or, the ATM would be empty. :o

I did do some more research last night, and found an off site Travelex store, not too far from LAX, where I can do an exchange. (I'm arriving from the east coast on Friday, and flying Saturday to PPT). Their rates aren't great, and about 10K less than the current rate shown on XE.com. Wish they did a better rate closer to XE.

I'm sure my next PG cruise will be less worrisome b/c I'll know exactly what I'll need money wise. ;)

Thank you for the info. I posted in a panic last night. Mainly was worried b/c we are literally arriving right before departure in PPT. I didn't want to be rushed out of the airport, onto the awaiting shuttle bus, with no time for the ATM. Or, the ATM would be empty. :oI did do some more research last night, and found an off site Travelex store, not too far from LAX, where I can do an exchange. (I'm arriving from the east coast on Friday, and flying Saturday to PPT). Their rates aren't great, and about 10K less than the current rate shown on XE.com. Wish they did a better rate closer to XE.

I'm sure my next PG cruise will be less worrisome b/c I'll know exactly what I'll need money wise. ;)

Remember you can go to the Reception desk on the PG, they will give you a very fair rate ;)

Remember you can go to the Reception desk on the PG, they will give you a very fair rate ;)

Very true. I had seen the info on their site. However, I took that to mean nominal amounts, like less than $100. Unless they replenish during the cruise and could handle a larger amount. A few nice pearls worth, and some vanilla. But mostly pearls. :')

Very true. I had seen the info on their site. However, I took that to mean nominal amounts, like less than $100. Unless they replenish during the cruise and could handle a larger amount. A few nice pearls worth, and some vanilla. But mostly pearls. :')

I think they will give you more than that, I know I've done $250 one time, no problem.