Transatlantic in April - what's the weather like?

Ku4anci

Doing a Barbados - Tenerife crossing 04 April - 10 April. What weather and seas should we be expecting, if you have done this or a similar route? I know weather can be unpredictable but is generally consistent month for month over certain routes.

What weather and seas should we be expecting

Hi Ku4anci, as this will be my first transatlantic as well I can't tell you. But why you don't ask Maryann from the roll call we met earlier, she stated that she has done many before and should get a notification when you write there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383161&page=3

• 1 month later...

The weather was perfect the entire time throughout the Atlantic- better than most Caribbean cruises I've taken(about a dozen). The most we saw were waves 1-1.5 metres high and most of the time below 1 metres(I could ride my SOB boat in such conditions. Very happy with the cruise - the food isn't the best in the industry but the shows in the theatre were class leading every night as was the entertainment as a whole. The staff were great and going out of their way to please everyone.

Hello, we have done may transatlantic cruises,usually march apr and november, really enjoyed them all. never had any really bad weather for a prolonged period of time. Just got off the repositioning dubai to Italy cruise and weather was great all the way. Happy cruising. :)

As Bazbov we have enjoyed many of these re-positioning cruises mainly in early April with Costa & other lines, in general we have had reasonable weather until the last two days when it can be unpredictable.

Also we always cruise in February mainly the Med for our Anniversary only once has the weather be bad over twenty years.

We did our first T/A on the Fascinosa from Barcelona to Brazil last December. The weather was totally amazing, completely calm deep green/blue sea all the way and blazing hot sunshine all day and warm balmy nights. In fact, we were often strolling the decks quite late on in the night and it was so beautiful. One tropical downpour which was very exciting one afternoon but it was short lived.

We were in a balcony cabin and we had a lovely singing cicada (who we think hopped onboard in Tenerife and hitched a lift all the way to Brazil) who serenaded us every night and we were so sad to leave the ship at Santos and to have to desert him. Thank you so much little Charlie cicada and we so hope you managed to get off safely somewhere......

We LOVED everything about this cruise. It exceeded our expectations so we wish you a fantastic time and we feel sure you'll enjoy it whatever the weather and, the chances are, it will be fabulous.

Sorry for threadjacking, but I've booked the 2018 Mediterranea Dubai-Savona, bazbov- any advice?

Hi Dancer bob, We are still thinking about doing this too, Never been on the Meditarranea so cant tell you what the ship will offer.

Dubai- very easy to get around using the metro and the dancing fountains at the dubai mall were worth seeing, If you dont want to stand with the masses, TGI Fridays restaurant was fairly reasonable and has outdoor seating, but get there early as it does get busy and they wont accept reservations.

Muscat- we visited here twice as we did back to back. First time we did a ships excursion, Dhow cruise, relaxing but really not much to see but it was a nice experience. Second time we walked along the corniche and then explored the souk and some of the side streets, very clean and we felt safe.

Sir Ban yas island. We took the ships safari excursion which lasted about an hour and a half. you go in by ships tender and the ship sets up a bbq. shore appeared quite rocky and pebbly so take sea shoes, shelved quite steeply.

Salahla. we just stayed on the ship as we didnt really fancy any of the excursions.and had heard that a taxi cost between 80 and a 100 dollars to get to town, however our waitress told us that if 4 of you share it worked out at 30 dollars return each.

Aqaba. we'd previously done an excursion to petra from here,long day but worth it. we just got the shuttle to town,which was small but quite pleasant, however there will be a lot of taxi drivers trying to get you to take a tour, a polite but firm no thanks will stop them pestering.

Eilat, Tours to Masada fortress, dead sea and Jerusalem, all previously done, again very long day but worth it.. Free shuttle will drop you off near the town and beaches, very pleasant to walk around and shop.

etc

Limmasol. Having stayed on cyprus a number of times wev'e seen the sights. however if you havent, theres lots to see and Limmasol is nice to walk around, ship charges for shuttle here. Places nice to visit include Paphos and the land of the kings, apollos temple and aphrodites rock, the troodos mountains and Niccosia. depending on the time docked here it's easy and relatively cheap to hire a car.

Rhodes. very easy to walk into the old town which is a unesco world heritage site and very interesting to walk around and soak up the atmosphere.

Piraeus for Athens. Hop On Hop off buses just outside the terminal.or a 25 minute walk to the metro and then a 4 euro day pass to see that all Athens has to offer .Metro station beside teminal/gate e5

Not sure if you will visit any more greek ports, Hope this helps and Happy Cruising. :)

Thanks, did you stop in Aqaba? The big question is the visa-on-arrival for Jordan, it seems oriented towards air arrivals, not the cruise port. Any other visa advice?

Familiar with neoRom, not neoRiv, best food but worst ship of any in the fleet I've seen. Been on Mediterranea several times, older Vista class, last before they eliminated the lounge on deck 1 and moved the disco for the Samsara restaurant. I expect there'll be menu changes for this trip due to what's available locally.

Only one Med stop, Katakolon, been there before.