Aft Cabin on Alaskan Cruise

Suzwed

We had an aft cabin when we sailed Alaska and would definitely go aft again. sitting on the balcony in the morning and being able to see both sides of the landscape through some of the passages was awesome. We also passed by a pod of whales while out at sea and where able to enjoy their antics longer with the aft view. Would highly recommend an aft balcony on an Alaskan cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We had an aft suite for Alaska. Loved it. We saw quite a lot of wildlife and icebergs. The small icebergs would go under the ship, and you could hear them coming and then they would pop out right under our cabin. What fun that was!

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't do Alaska without an aft balcony. The ship will most likely traverse a fjord. You can see much more from an aft balcony than you can from any other cabin balcony. We had our friends in our cabin for quite a few times. We drank champagne, ordered a lot of room service and saw a lot of whales, eagles, glaciers, etc!

We had one last year on HAL. It was great when the ship did some 360 turns in Glacier Bay. We spent a lot of time out there during the evenings. It was a bit warmer than out on the public decks.

We did an AFT and were on the NCL Sun and loved it. I would not get an Aft balcony if in a hot climate and with no cover over the balcony. We were on Singapore to Dubai in an Aft balcony and it was exposed. Temps were in upper 90s and it was just too hot to use the aft balcony. We should have done a regular balcony in that case.

We had an OV on our first cruise, which was ok, but later went with a balcony. It is a bit more expensive, but you have a connection with the outside and the ocean.

We did an AFT and were on the NCL Sun and loved it. I would not get an Aft balcony if in a hot climate and with no cover over the balcony. We were on Singapore to Dubai in an Aft balcony and it was exposed. Temps were in upper 90s and it was just too hot to use the aft balcony. We should have done a regular balcony in that case.

We had an OV on our first cruise, which was ok, but later went with a balcony. It is a bit more expensive, but you have a connection with the outside and the ocean.

What balcony were you on? I'm booked in 9277 for my cruise on the Sun next month! It's a regular balcony, not a suite or mini-suite.

What balcony were you on? I'm booked in 9277 for my cruise on the Sun next month! It's a regular balcony, not a suite or mini-suite.

I think that was our cabin. It was a regular balcony one cabin starboard from the suite in the middle.

Wow - any tips on the room?

Is there an electrical outlet near the bed? I have a CPAP machine.

Also, is there a hairdryer in the bathroom? Is it the old-fashioned kind with the hose on it?

Do you have any glacier–viewing advice? Do you think I still need to go up on deck for part of the day?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow - any tips on the room?

Is there an electrical outlet near the bed? I have a CPAP machine.

Also, is there a hairdryer in the bathroom? Is it the old-fashioned kind with the hose on it?

Do you have any glacier–viewing advice? Do you think I still need to go up on deck for part of the day?

Ginny remembers that there was an outlet at the small desk on the opposite wall from the bed. We had lights allowing us to read in bed, but we don't remember if there were outlets there. Ginny remembers that the hair dryer was at the desk, not in the bathroom.

I am sure that if there is not an outlet on the wall by the bed that the room steward would arranged something for you.

On viewing the glaciers, we used the balcony. It was great, when the ship was moving, there was no chilly wind since we were aft, like when you are up top on deck 11. Be sure to take some binoculars with your for the trip. Glacier Bay was an almost all day thing, so we did go out for breakfast and lunch, but spent most of our time on our balcony, as did our neighbors on theirs. We got to know them a little, it was fun. If you go up to deck 11 or 12 take warm clothes, because it will be chilly and you might have to deal with crowds.

Thanks so much – I have written to my PCC to ask him whether I should bring an extension cord for my CPAP machine. And it's nice to know I don't have to deal with one of those old wall-mounted hairdryers!

I recently bought a pair of binoculars to take with me on my trip, and I'm borrowing my sister's camera was a really nice zoom lens.

Thanks again!