Trans-Atlantic Flight -- Updated what to wear?

cruisemom42

I used to have a sort of standard 'uniform' for TATL flights leading to a cruise or land vacation, but I want to consider updating it a bit.

I am all about comfort on long flights but also want to look presentable on arrival.

I'm thinking that my pants will probably be my skinny leg J Jill Wearever pants (I have both the ankle pants and full-length but the full length would be better for the flight). They're like yoga pants, but dressier. ;)

I like to layer on top, but I am having a hard time deciding what looks good, is modern, and also practical. I have several nice layering cardigans in various colors from Eileen Fisher but they are very loosely woven and I'm afraid they might catch and pull on things. Ideally I'd like a thin-weight long-sleeved tee with some kind of cardi over it that's not too heavy. I'll also have a lightweight fleece jacket in my bag in case the flight is really cold.

My shoes will be comfortable lightweight black slip-ons with some stretch as my feet tend to swell a bit on a long flight.

What do you wear on a long flight to look pulled together? Should I add a scarf? Do you wear jewelry? And has anyone got ideas where to look for a cute drapey cardi that goes with black but maybe has a bit of pattern or other color to it?

I do as SailorSally does, with a necklace instead of a scarf but I add compression socks to keep the swelling down on long flights & a heavier weight pashmina

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Go over to Athleta and look at some of their wrap cards sweaters.

I don't have a specific uniform for flight. I've done a pair of my yoga pants, a pair of my cargo pants, a spiffy pair of Athleta sweatpants (not athletic ones, but their "urban" ones). I'll pair with a T-shirt and then a jacket. I do take one of my scarves - it helps a little if I get chilled.

The past few years, I've had quite a few China flights for work and have a nice uniform worked out - in the cooler months, I wear Eileen Fisher slim ponte knit pants, ankle boots (in very cold trips and when I'm going traipsing - I have a pair of Keen ankle boots that are ok for work but also did great on the Great Wall ;-) On top, short sleeve cotton tee (many flights are SO HOT) and a long merino cardigan (I have a few different brands) with a silk/cashmere patterned scarf.

In warmer weather, I wear Eileen Fisher slim black crepe pants (full length - I prefer the ankle length on me but only have those in bark right now - the black I own are full length, and better for work anyway). I might wear privo ballet flats or a privo sneaker, depending on what I need for the trip. Black cotton or merino short sleeve tee (depends on how warm/shoulder season) and another long cardigan, this time probably cotton or possibly linen (our November/December Asia cruise was so hot & tropical, I used an Eileen Fisher linen cardigan). Lightweight silk or cotton scarf.

So for me - no on neck jewelry, yes on scarves. I change to slippers once airborne so it doesn't really matter what shoes I wear - depends on what I need for the trip.

Another top I love that I usually have in my carry-on is a cuddl duds cowl neck tunic. You said you don't like tunics so it's probably not for you but might work for others. I have it in black and a black/white pattern. It's a nice warmth layer if I need it and packs up teeny.

Go over to Athleta and look at some of their wrap cards sweaters.

I don't have a specific uniform for flight. I've done a pair of my yoga pants, a pair of my cargo pants, a spiffy pair of Athleta sweatpants (not athletic ones, but their "urban" ones). I'll pair with a T-shirt and then a jacket. I do take one of my scarves - it helps a little if I get chilled.

I checked out the Athleta wraps but most of them are sooo long. That ultra-long length, as with tunics = not flattering for me. Plus, never can seem to sit comfortable in my airline seat when I am sitting ON my sweater. :p

The past few years, I've had quite a few China flights for work and have a nice uniform worked out - in the cooler months, I wear Eileen Fisher slim ponte knit pants, ankle boots (in very cold trips and when I'm going traipsing - I have a pair of Keen ankle boots that are ok for work but also did great on the Great Wall ;-) On top, short sleeve cotton tee (many flights are SO HOT) and a long merino cardigan (I have a few different brands) with a silk/cashmere patterned scarf.

In warmer weather, I wear Eileen Fisher slim black crepe pants (full length - I prefer the ankle length on me but only have those in bark right now - the black I own are full length, and better for work anyway). I might wear privo ballet flats or a privo sneaker, depending on what I need for the trip. Black cotton or merino short sleeve tee (depends on how warm/shoulder season) and another long cardigan, this time probably cotton or possibly linen (our November/December Asia cruise was so hot & tropical, I used an Eileen Fisher linen cardigan). Lightweight silk or cotton scarf.

So for me - no on neck jewelry, yes on scarves. I change to slippers once airborne so it doesn't really matter what shoes I wear - depends on what I need for the trip.

Another top I love that I usually have in my carry-on is a cuddl duds cowl neck tunic. You said you don't like tunics so it's probably not for you but might work for others. I have it in black and a black/white pattern. It's a nice warmth layer if I need it and packs up teeny.

Your style sounds a lot like mine. Love the same EF ponte and crepe pants and I do use them for travel. I have some nice EF cardigans in linen and linen/cotton but I'm afraid of snagging the looser weave (knowing how I travel :rolleyes:) or stretching the linen one out of shape too much. I wish I could find a lightweight merino wrap cardi. Merino is my favorite. I bought two of the EF oval-shape merino cardigans but ultimately decided that shape is not for me either....

Love that cascade sweater, but Ibex products I've tried run a little small, and I am not small on top :-(

In the past (probably not this time of year) Uniqlo has had cute merino sweaters (same problem for me - they run small and even an XXL is tight on my chest). Neiman Marcus has some merino on sale - not as much as they have cashmere, alas.

I had 2 linen sweaters with me on the Asia Azamara cruise - Eileen Fisher & JJill - and no problems with either snagging or stretching out. During most daytime excursions, though, it was too hot for them!

I like the look of that Ibex wrap. I may have to give it a try....

Or if that doesn't work I'll keep stalking ebay for an EF merino sweater in a color I can use and a style that works.

I've only ever ordered one thing from Uniqlo. I keep hearing their sizes run quite small....

Your style sounds a lot like mine. Love the same EF ponte and crepe pants and I do use them for travel. I have some nice EF cardigans in linen and linen/cotton but I'm afraid of snagging the looser weave (knowing how I travel :rolleyes:) or stretching the linen one out of shape too much. I wish I could find a lightweight merino wrap cardi. Merino is my favorite. I bought two of the EF oval-shape merino cardigans but ultimately decided that shape is not for me either....

I bought a merino wool Dana Buchman wrap sweater at Kohls over the weekend. It was $22. It will live in my travel bag.

I've only ever ordered one thing from Uniqlo. I keep hearing their sizes run quite small....

Well, it's a Japanese company so that makes sense. When I was a US size 10, I could wear the airism or heattech tops in XL (bra size was 36DDD). Now a little heavier, can't wear those, though they did add an XXL to some pieces last year. That size sells out fast, though....

Men's sizes also run small - my husband (160lb) buys heattech shirts in men's XL also ;-) But we do love the heattech shirts as base layers! And they're "normal" looking - not like long johns of old - so it's ok to take off the outer layer and just have the tee showing....

merino wool Dana Buchman wrap sweater at Kohls
What % is merino? I've not seen 100% merino in any woman's sweater at kohls (I check every fall....) Will be bummed if I missed one!

I like the look of that Ibex wrap. I may have to give it a try....

Or if that doesn't work I'll keep stalking ebay for an EF merino sweater in a color I can use and a style that works.

Suggest you check out EF items on eBay. There are usually many sweaters. Just purchase from a seller that accepts returns.

Hi girls, glad I came across this thread:),,,,I am cruising from Barcelona to Rome in August and will be flying to

Barcelona.........the suggestions will give me some food for thought. Normally I wear a pair of what I would consider

a "sweat pant" but nicer......not thick and heavy......so maybe it would be in the "yoga family";) I usually wear a 3/4

sleeve top in a cotton blend and slides/mules for my shoes (with socks)....and I always bring some type of cardigan/warm up jacket,

etc....a soft cotton is my preference.

Oh, I am not a scarf person, so that would not be part of my attire.

Edited by Lois R

I checked out the Athleta wraps but most of them are sooo long. That ultra-long length, as with tunics = not flattering for me. Plus, never can seem to sit comfortable in my airline seat when I am sitting ON my sweater. :p

oh well. I tried. The one I bought last Spring was low-hip length. Are you looking for waist-length, like a traditional cardigan?

Well, it's a Japanese company so that makes sense. When I was a US size 10, I could wear the airism or heattech tops in XL (bra size was 36DDD). Now a little heavier, can't wear those, though they did add an XXL to some pieces last year. That size sells out fast, though....

Funny story -- when I was in Japan, one of the two pair of shoes I brought for the trip failed in Kyoto. Despite the fact that our hotel was literally on top of a huge mall, I could not find any women's shoes in my size (size 9); had to resort to mens!

Also, my 6'1" son really stood out on the subway!

oh well. I tried. The one I bought last Spring was low-hip length. Are you looking for waist-length, like a traditional cardigan?

I like sort of "mid hip" length. Longer than at the waist but not so long you sit on it. Sort of like this:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eileen-fisher-organic-linen-open-cardigan-regular-petite/4561264?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=RAIN

I could go slightly longer, but much more and it looks very unflattering.

Funny story -- when I was in Japan, one of the two pair of shoes I brought for the trip failed in Kyoto. Despite the fact that our hotel was literally on top of a huge mall, I could not find any women's shoes in my size (size 9); had to resort to mens!

Yes, my normal destinations and my size(s) mean I pack VERY CAREFULLY to try to avoid problems like that! Last year, I was in Orlando for a conference and my bra strap broke. Fortunately, I had packed 2 bras (for a 3 day trip, it's not totally necessary, though for me now it always is!) Not to mention I didn't have a car, but it would have been very hard for me to find my bra size in stock nearby.....Forget trying to replace a bra in China....

There's a fine line between packing something comfortable you know won't give you blisters or chafing, but might break? And something newer that won't break but isn't fully broken in.....Ah well, guess if those are the worst problems we face.... :eek:

Cruisemom. Check out JJill too. They have some traditional cardigans that sit right on the hip. FYI, the Kohl's merino sweater is 80% merino & 10% spandex. No clue what the other 10% is

JJill can be good, though I was there yesterday and the sweaters in the store seemed too lightweight for what you want. If you have a JJill credit card, right now, everything is 25% off.

Look at Orvis. We have a store here, and yesterday I found the linen pants I've been looking for forever, and on sale too. They have some sweaters online that may work for you.

Go to retailmenot.com for a coupon code that actually works (if you spend enough).

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm always trying to figure out the right travel outfit!

My typical 'overseas' flight outfit includes: black comfy yoga pants, black/white striped soft cotton short sleeved ralph lauren v neck t shirt (yes I wear my 'signature' necklace), black velour hoodie (with some bling on it) - keeps me warm if required and can be 'used' as pillow/neck wrap if required. Also black compression socks and my runners (which I remove on the plane). also a watch and earrings (no studs as that digs into my neck if I 'rest').... I also use the velour hoodie onboard and tours in cooler temps!

Go to the Prana site. Look at the Georgia Wrap.

Agree, but if you like it, go to campsaver.com where they have it in Charcoal and Bluebell. At the time of writing they have medium, large and XL. Final price is $29.99.