New to Azamara--A few questions

AnnetteSC

Hi,

My family and I (DH, DDalmost15, myself) just booked a last minute Mediterranean cruise on the Quest, June 12, 2017 sailing. We have cruised before but never on Azamara and looking forward to it already.

I have a few questions for those of you who are Azamara experts. :)

Our ship will be stopping in Sorrento and Amalfi on consecutive days. For that reason, the azAmazing evening takes place the evening of the first night there. It is supposed to be a festival in that area.

My question on this is, what happens that evening? Do you eat dinner on board and then transported to the festival? Do you just stand around and watch the festival or is there more to it than that? What time are you brought back to the ship?

On our itinerary it says that ship departs at 11pm that night from Sorrento and arrives at 8am in Amalfi. How can that be? The two towns are literally next to each other. Plus, the only naval port I know of in that region is Naples so it'll probably be docked there overnight and we'll be tendered.

Finally, we'd like to do a tour in Athens, which is our last stop. For that reason, we're extending our vacation by one day. We're thinking of booking one of the hotels listed on Azamara.

Has anyone done that? If so, were you satisfied with the hotel and was it easy to get to hotel from the ship? Azamara told me they don't do transfers to hotels, only to/from airport. We'll either have to get a taxi or make arrangements with a tour company to include transfers on our tour bill.

And, speaking of tours, Azamara does not offer tours in Athens for our trip. Any recommendations of good tour companies for Athens?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

My family and I (DH, DDalmost15, myself) just booked a last minute Mediterranean cruise on the Quest, June 12, 2017 sailing. We have cruised before but never on Azamara and looking forward to it already.

I have a few questions for those of you who are Azamara experts. :)

Our ship will be stopping in Sorrento and Amalfi on consecutive days. For that reason, the azAmazing evening takes place the evening of the first night there. It is supposed to be a festival in that area.

My question on this is, what happens that evening? Do you eat dinner on board and then transported to the festival? Do you just stand around and watch the festival or is there more to it than that? What time are you brought back to the ship?

a buffet is set up from 530 to 7. I rarely eat. i always hope the snacks are good at the evening. also snacks are there when you come back. you will get back around 10 at night. not done this event so not sure if a sit down music or what.

On our itinerary it says that ship departs at 11pm that night from Sorrento and arrives at 8am in Amalfi. How can that be? The two towns are literally next to each other. Plus, the only naval port I know of in that region is Naples so it'll probably be docked there overnight and we'll be tendered.

these are tender ports and we never see Naples.. Not a big deal. i tend not to do tender AZ evening. i tend to eat on ship or in port.

Finally, we'd like to do a tour in Athens, which is our last stop. For that reason, we're extending our vacation by one day. We're thinking of booking one of the hotels listed on Azamara.

Has anyone done that? If so, were you satisfied with the hotel and was it easy to get to hotel from the ship? Azamara told me they don't do transfers to hotels, only to/from airport. We'll either have to get a taxi or make arrangements with a tour company to include transfers on our tour bill.

And, speaking of tours, Azamara does not offer tours in Athens for our trip. Any recommendations of good tour companies for Athens?

Thank you in advance!

I never slept in Athens but toured there. can not remember who i used.. but i would not sue a hotel AZ suggests but one you find on your own by reading in B&N.

Lol me too Annette! You will tender in Sorrento, and most likely not leave for Amalfi until around 6am. It doesn't take long to sail around. We have had a look at various Athens hotels and there look to be some nice boutique ones but we ended up going with the Hilton as we are members. Look in Trip Advisor for recommendations and reviews.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

The Azamazing evening doesn't include food, other than nibbles. The buffet will be open before the event, and many people eat there before the evening. There are also usually snacks (sandwiches etc) available in the buffet afterwards. I don't know what this particular Azamazing evening consists of. The ones we have been to usually include being given some sort of a drink, small canapés and watching a performance of some sort.

As far as Athens is concerned, we have explored it independently. If you go to the Acropolis museum first, then when you visit the Acropolis you have a better idea what you are looking at. The metro in Athens is very good and quite easy to use. We used the Berlitz PopOut map to identify where the major sites where, and how best to get to them.

When we want to book hotels anywhere we start with Trip Advisor, looking at reviews, then using a booking site to book rooms.

It's quite a long way from Piraeus where the ship docks to Athens centre. There should be plenty of taxis available at the dock-side, or you could book one online beforehand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you very much for all the helpful info!

The reason I'm asking about the Azamazing evening event is because we're thinking of doing something on our own that day and, in case we get back late, we'll want to make sure the ship is still "open". :) It sounds like it's a festival so we may skip it...

I'll check Trip Advisor for hotels. I thought it would be safer to book through Azamara but it looks like it doesn't really matter, as long as reviews are good.

Another question, since gratuities are included with Azamara, do people still tip for outstanding service?

Thank you very much for all the helpful info!

The reason I'm asking about the Azamazing evening event is because we're thinking of doing something on our own that day and, in case we get back late, we'll want to make sure the ship is still "open". :) It sounds like it's a festival so we may skip it...

I'll check Trip Advisor for hotels. I thought it would be safer to book through Azamara but it looks like it doesn't really matter, as long as reviews are good.

Another question, since gratuities are included with Azamara, do people still tip for outstanding service?

Tipping for outstanding service is a highly personal preference on AZ, some people do, others don't. There is no hard and fast rule, if you feel you ought to then do so if you wish. I won't advise you either way other than to say donations to the Crew Fund through Guest Services is always appreciated

Agree with Host Grandma Cruising. Athens is very easy to enjoy on your own.

We prefer to stay in the Syntagma Square area which is very central to the major attractions and only a short subway stop away from the Acropolis and the remarkable Acropolis Museum. The drawbacks are price and sometimes political demonstrations.

Personally, I would get to the Acropolis as early as possible to try to avoid the tours and then visit the Museum later. To do so I would consider arranging a taxi for an early pick up at Piraeus, since the early morning traffic to Athens is significant.

For the rest of Athens, if you like his guidance and advice, Rick Steves has free, downloadable audio tours and maps of the Acropolis, Plaka area, etc.

There are threads or posts on this forum concerning gratuities. There are some who will tip extra for outstanding service or service of a very personal nature. Some will also donate to the Crew Welfare fund to reward all of the wonderful crew.

I anticipate you will have a wonderful time! Great itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tipping for outstanding service is a highly personal preference on AZ, some people do, others don't. There is no hard and fast rule, if you feel you ought to then do so if you wish. I won't advise you either way other than to say donations to the Crew Fund through Guest Services is always appreciated

I was posting at the same time.

Azamarajunkie's advice is clearer and better than mine.

We ended an Azamara cruise in 2012 in Athens. We booked a tour with Athens Taxi (name of company-not just a taxi in Athens). They picked us and our luggage up at the port and we did a full days tour of Athens, then dropped us off at our hotel, Athens Gate. Highly recommend the hotel. The view from our room was the Acropolis and they had a wonderful rooftop bar. View at night was spectacular. Same company picked us up the next morning to take us to the airport.

Thank you, Robin. I'm sorry for my ignorance but what is B&N? Probably not Barnes&Nobles, which is the first thing that popped in my head. :)

Yes, I ddi mean Barnes and Noble. i read Fodders and Frommers. Personally i would type in Athens hotels and a price point or area. but i read the books for pros and cons. i did not feel the port was that far from the city center. i got off ship on turn around day. went sightseeing, shopping and lunch and was back on time no problem.

also i do not agree with Grandma cruising about food at the Azamara evenings. I have gone to some with no food and others i could roll across the parking lot. i ddi one this winter that had great food. saw pictures on facebook today of what i call dinner food.

I would not rush back as there is to much to do everywhere you are going.

We visited Athens in 2009, so this information may be too old, but here goes. We, too, used the HOHO bus and found it an excellent way to get around to the sites. It was our first time in Athens so we wanted to visit the must sees and that was a good way to do it. But since we had four days, we also engaged the services of George The Famous Taxi Driver for one day to take us a little further afield, to the Peloponnese. It was a fabulous day and one we'll never forget.

I would never book my hotel through the ship unless I felt totally insecure about the location. I have checked often and regardless of cruise line, you pay a premium for this. (And sometimes get an inferior room!) TripAdvisor is your friend. We stayed in Plaka and loved being near the easy going night life and tavernas. I might choose Syntagma Square area were I to visit again, since I've had the Plaka experience.

We haven't done an Azamazing evening yet...there is always something exciting in the port and that's why we cruise Azamara, to be able to take advantage of what's on shore and be able to come back to our floating hotel! A dinner in Saigon and drinks at the Rex rooftop bar, for example. Or a rijsttafel experience in Amsterdam, which is our plan for June. And one time, we just enjoyed a nice dinner in PrimeC while the ship was quiet. Thankfully, Azamara offers something for everyone!

Enjoy your cruise...we don't have much longer to wait for ours!

We did the Azamazing evening in Sorrento last fall. It is held in the gardens of the Hilton Hotel. We were bussed from the ship to the grounds and then back again by deck. Food stations were set up everywhere, with what I would call small bites. Fresh mozzarella stations (made while you watch' grilled meats, breads, copious amounts of desserts. Wine and other beverages in abundance. But there was plenty of food to stave off hunger. The evening was supposed to recreate a street festival inold time Naples, and it was fabulous. There were carriage rides, pizza throwers, dancers, minstrel singer and magicians that wandered among the tables. The only downside: it rained off and on the entire night. Azamara and the hotel provided umbrellas for all, and we had a wonderful time.

We stayed at the magnificent Grande Bretagne Hotel in Syntagma Square last year. Dinner on the rooftop terrace with the floodlit Acropolis in front of you is a really special event.

I can only imagine! And I'm certain you found some acceptable shopping by wandering down Emmou Street only a few blocks away.

We were at the more downscale King George next door. In our view the location is perfect with the subway about 1 block away.

We did the Azamazing evening in Sorrento last fall. It is held in the gardens of the Hilton Hotel. We were bussed from the ship to the grounds and then back again by deck. Food stations were set up everywhere, with what I would call small bites. Fresh mozzarella stations (made while you watch' grilled meats, breads, copious amounts of desserts. Wine and other beverages in abundance. But there was plenty of food to stave off hunger. The evening was supposed to recreate a street festival inold time Naples, and it was fabulous. There were carriage rides, pizza throwers, dancers, minstrel singer and magicians that wandered among the tables. The only downside: it rained off and on the entire night. Azamara and the hotel provided umbrellas for all, and we had a wonderful time.

This is what our azamazing evening is for this June 12 cruise. Very much looking forward to it!!

I've stayed at Athens Gate a couple of times; very nice, wondrous Acropolis views and very convenient to the main sites. Great breakfast on terrace too. I agree that you won't need a guide. A really good one is always an asset, but if you do some homework, so you know what you want to see, you'll be fine with just a map. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed at the magnificent Grande Bretagne Hotel in Syntagma Square last year. Dinner on the rooftop terrace with the floodlit Acropolis in front of you is a really special event.

Both the Grande Bretagne and the King George next door are indeed lovely, we have also stayed in the Hilton as used by Azamara, but that is quite a walk to the Acropolis and Plaka. We discovered a nice hotel about 10 mins from Syntagma last year, the Melia which has a lovely rooftop pool and bar. We also stayed in Piraeus itself as we were catching a high speed ferry last year and stayed in the Theoxinia, there are some lovely restaurants in the old port where you can eat overlooking the harbour.

My question on this is, what happens that evening? Do you eat dinner on board and then transported to the festival? Do you just stand around and watch the festival or is there more to it than that? What time are you brought back to the ship?...

The Azamazing "festival" that we did on our overnight in Sorrento was in a pretty outdoor "park" that's part of the grounds of the Hilton, as I remember. It was an ersatz Italian folk festival, with no dinner per se, but LOADS of appetizers, so we certainly didn't eat dinner. There were performances of various kinds, musicians, acrobats, foldk dancers, horse-drawn carriage rides. It was fun. The assortment of cheeses was amazing. The wine was free-flowing. Many of the other appetizers were fairly heavy for my taste, i.e., deep fried. But it was loads of fun, when you got into the spirit of it (and in our case, despite the rain.)

The Azamazing "festival" that we did on our overnight in Sorrento was in a pretty outdoor "park" that's part of the grounds of the Hilton, as I remember. It was an ersatz Italian folk festival, with no dinner per se, but LOADS of appetizers, so we certainly didn't eat dinner. There were performances of various kinds, musicians, acrobats, foldk dancers, horse-drawn carriage rides. It was fun. The assortment of cheeses was amazing. The wine was free-flowing. Many of the other appetizers were fairly heavy for my taste, i.e., deep fried. But it was loads of fun, when you got into the spirit of it (and in our case, despite the rain.)

Thanks for the description, Wendy! Ours will be in Sorrento also but was debating going to surprise my Italian relatives who live nearby instead! :)

We have always stayed at the Athens Hilton, which AZ also use. It is excellent and they always upgrade us to the exec floor. It's an easy walk to the main attractions and has a wonderful pool.

Thanks you! I was checking trip advisor and prices are not much better than what AZ is asking to book the Hilton. Glad to hear from someone who has stayed there. :)

I am so glad I read this. I was under the impression that this Amazing Evening was in Naples itself. We were a little apprehensive about going to Naples at night. This sounds wonderful. Our cruise is September 16 and really looking forward to it.