Backup Camera for Alaska Cruise?

Cruising the Inside Passage in a few weeks. For shore excursions, wildlife, and scenery, my primary camera is a Sony Alpha SLT A-65, with a Sigma 18-250 Macro Zoom Lens. For the days I don't have a shore excursion planned, I'm considering taking my Sony Alpha A3000 as a "walkaround" camera in town. I have extra batteries for both cameras as well as plenty of SDHC cards. The extra weight and space of the A 3000 is not a consideration. Any thoughts?

Cruising the Inside Passage in a few weeks. For shore excursions, wildlife, and scenery, my primary camera is a Sony Alpha SLT A-65, with a Sigma 18-250 Macro Zoom Lens. For the days I don't have a shore excursion planned, I'm considering taking my Sony Alpha A3000 as a "walkaround" camera in town. I have extra batteries for both cameras as well as plenty of SDHC cards. The extra weight and space of the A 3000 is not a consideration. Any thoughts?

A couple years ago I bought an Olympus TG-860 underwater camera. It produces great images both in and out of the water. Since its pocketable, I find myself using that as my new walk-around camera on the ship as well as at beach port stops instead of my DSLR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple years ago I bought an Olympus TG-860 underwater camera. It produces great images both in and out of the water. Since its pocketable, I find myself using that as my new walk-around camera on the ship as well as at beach port stops instead of my DSLR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not know how the quality of the pictures from a TG-860 are but I have a TG-4 that I bought to use as an underwater camera. The quality of the underwater pictures is OK. However, I made the mistake of taking it with me one day in place of my Sony A6000 because it did not feel like carrying the 6000. Major mistake as the TG-4 out-of-water pictures were unacceptably awful. I would have been better off using my cell phone.

DON

I do not know how the quality of the pictures from a TG-860 are but I have a TG-4 that I bought to use as an underwater camera. The quality of the underwater pictures is OK. However, I made the mistake of taking it with me one day in place of my Sony A6000 because it did not feel like carrying the 6000. Major mistake as the TG-4 out-of-water pictures were unacceptably awful. I would have been better off using my cell phone.

DON

Wow, that's gotta be a huge disappointment. I was pleasantly surprised at the image quality both in and out of the water. I used to carry my D7000 on cruises but I got tired of lugging it around so now I bring my Nikon P7800 and my TG-860. In some situations the Olympus surpasses the Nikon, although the Nikon can shoot RAW, which can come in handy when editing and the Olympus can't.

I had an Olympus TG-2 that I was satisfied with (until I lost it!) It was esp. good with dinner food shots. And because most/if not all of the excursions run rain or shine, I'd rather have some pictures (that maybe are not the BEST) than none at all. It only has a 5x zoom so it's not going to be very helpful for distant wildlife. A new version, the TG-5 will be out next month (not in time for my cruise, boo-hoo!)