VENTURA vs OCEANA

penrosepair

Hi I'm looking to book a cruise from Southampton for myself & my 17 year old son at Christmas. Funds are limited & we only afford an inside cabin. Never had an inside before so slightly worried about this.

Also never sailed out of Southampton at this time of year before so a bit worried about how we will entertain ourselves during sea days as I assume too cold to be on deck. And too depressing to stay in cabin. As long as my son can find other teenagers I'm sure he will be happy. I'm just worried that I won't be able to find a quiet spot anywhere to read. Are there adult only areas on board?

Finally which ship would suit us best? Oceana is smaller I believe. And although the cruise doesn't incorporate New Year there is a significant price difference

If your son is likely want to go to the kids club, he will find that on sea days there will be lots going on in the club through till 1 a.m. My son who was 16 liked the kids club on Oceana as there was a nice size group and they all got on well. If you are going school holiday time, I am sure the kids clubs will be full. Ventura has adult only retreat but you have to pay to go there. You can always find a quiet spot on either ship to read, we always have.

We have had inside cabins on both Ventura and Oceana and both have been fine though I think the cabins on Oceana were slightly smaller. If you can afford it I would choose Ventura as it is a larger ship which probably means more families.Also it has a retractable roof over the swimming pool which means you can sit where there is light even on a miserable day.(We sailed on Ventura in February and found this helped.)Also the Bay of Biscay can be rough at any time of year.It wasn t too rough when we sailed in February.If I m thinking of the right cruise the itinary sounds better on Ventura as once you get to the Canary Islands it should be warm.There is an adult only pool on Ventura which you may be able to enjoy once you reach warm weather.When you decide on the cruise join a roll call-you may find someone else travelling with a teenager.Whichever cruise you choose I hope you have a great time :)

Thank you both for your quick & helpful replies

ann141 I notice you have also sailed on the Queen Elizabeth? That is another option as it too sails out of Southampton for Xmas & New Year in the Canaries. Although I realise it's slightly more expensive how does it compare to the Ventura. The sales person explained it as like the difference between a 5* hotel & a Premier Inn. Looking at the pictures it seemed more geared up to older guests?

We sailed to the Canary Islands on queen Elizabeth.I like both ships but I actually prefer P and O and I think there will be more families on Ventura as I think P and O are trying to attract younger people

Having cruised on all 3 ships I would say that a teenager would probably prefer one of the P&O ships because Cunard are more formal in that men are expected to wear a tie and jacket but on P&O only the formal nights require jackets and ties. Personally I prefer Oceana to Ventura but I do not have a teenager to consider and as others have said Ventura does have more to occupy him.

I would add that the cabins on Ventura appear more spacious as they have an open wardrobe area like a dressing area between the sleeping area and the bathroom......this gives a bit of privacy when getting dressed!

I would suggest that Ventura would be better for a 17 year old. The pool with a retractable roof is a big plus and the pizzeria is great for hungry teenagers. With it being a bigger ship, there will also be more people of his age on Ventura.

I don't believe you will have a problem finding a quiet spot to read. An inside cabin should not be a problem for you, in fact you may find the lack of natural light results in you sleeping better.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I was leaning towards Ventura but then found (what I consider to be) better value for money. I've booked for us to go on the Celbrity Eclispe instead.

Still like to hear people's opinion so will start a new thread.

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I was leaning towards Ventura but then found (what I consider to be) better value for money. I've booked for us to go on the Celbrity Eclispe instead.

Still like to hear people's opinion so will start a new thread.

Thanks guys!

I like Celebrity and Ventura. Different experiences but both highly enjoyable.

I did a New Years cruise on Ventura last year. Really enjoyed it.