Diabetes

Bluetide40

Hi am going on the Azura and wondered what menus or substitutes etc they have for diabetics please? Also what shops are on the Azura.

Thank you

They will bring you the next day menus each evening so that you can pre-order your meals, some dishes can be altered to make them diabetic friendly.

There are jewellery, clothing, perfume shops and a shop that sells things like chocolate, P&O branded goods, toothpaste, soap etc and small gifts.

Hi am going on the Azura and wondered what menus or substitutes etc they have for diabetics please?

Apologies for stating the bl**din' obvious, but you are going to tell P&O if you haven't already, aren't you? People have mentioned in similar threads about special diets that they're not at all sure the message gets from HQ to the ship, but at least you'll have covered yourself in case of any problems.

Apologies for stating the bl**din' obvious, but you are going to tell P&O if you haven't already, aren't you? People have mentioned in similar threads about special diets that they're not at all sure the message gets from HQ to the ship, but at least you'll have covered yourself in case of any problems.

I must admit , I see posts on FB by people who expect P&O (and other cruise lines) to have Crystal balls as far as diets are concerned. I have a food allergy and wouldnt dream of going anywhere on land or sea without finding out first if it can be catered for, by letting them know in advance. I know GF and diabetic diets are common place but if people are concerned, they should notify in advance......but so many dont and then moan that "there is nothing on the menu" for them.

Rant over....:halo:

IF you advise your diabetes at booking you will be invited to a short meet with the head waiters to discuss your needs, you will then be brought the following days menu to choose from and advised if any dishes can be altered to suit. If you wish to eat in any of the other restaurant advise your waiter who will get you the menu from that restaurant and advise them of your needs. On our last Azura cruise he also popped in to whatever place we were eating to bring the following days MDR menu. Excellent service.

Thank you so much grush240 for your reply that is exactly what I wanted to know.

I am not new to cruising but am to P&O. I am not one of those people that expect things and moan but was more curious on how things were dealt with.

I'm T2 diabetic and last year always found something suitable wherever I ate. Didn't need to ask for anything special

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you that is what I am too. 😀 Just wanted to hear other people's experiences so that is really helpful.

I did a cruise last year with a friend who is type 1 diabetic; she didn't even tell them except to ask the steward for a sharps bin which was brought instantly.

We ate all over the ship, in the mdr and at all the speciality restaurants, and she never had any difficulty finding suitable food anywhere.

So I wouldn't worry.

I did a cruise last year with a friend who is type 1 diabetic; she didn't even tell them except to ask the steward for a sharps bin which was brought instantly.

We ate all over the ship, in the mdr and at all the speciality restaurants, and she never had any difficulty finding suitable food anywhere.

So I wouldn't worry.

Can only reiterate what the above poster says. We have a friend T2 who follows a strict diet on board and gets menus the night before. I have a relative T1 who only asks for a Sharps bin once onboard and finds suitable food in the MDR or elsewhere without asking for a diabetic menu.

My whole family are Type 1 diabetics (mother, father since aged 19, brother since aged 5, grand-father, great-aunt); they inject once or twice a day depending on insulin-type etc, and would require a sharps bin. But never a special diet. A balanced nutritional diet is all that's required, combined with fastidious sugar testing. You'll be fine in the MDR and should have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your cruise!