advise from experienced X cruisers please.

39august

We currently have two reservations with different TA's for Sil 12-8-17. One is an aqua cabin and the other is a concierge balcony cabin. Have "Go Best" with both.The only different is the obvious dining option and the lesser price for the concierge cabin. I am spoiled about having at least breakfast in a dedicated dining room on RCI, tho' we usually eat dinner in the buffet. I know as Elite we can have continental breakfast in a dedicated area, but we prefer eggs, bacon ,etc. since at home we eat only fruit usually, so that is a treat we do only on cruises. We will give the MDR a try on this cruise, but really do not enjoy long, drawn out dinners. So, given these facts, should I keep the aqua cabin with its perk of eating in Blu for $550 more than the concierge cabin?

We currently have two reservations with different TA's for Sil 12-8-17. One is an aqua cabin and the other is a concierge balcony cabin. Have "Go Best" with both.The only different is the obvious dining option and the lesser price for the concierge cabin. I am spoiled about having at least breakfast in a dedicated dining room on RCI, tho' we usually eat dinner in the buffet. I know as Elite we can have continental breakfast in a dedicated area, but we prefer eggs, bacon ,etc. since at home we eat only fruit usually, so that is a treat we do only on cruises. We will give the MDR a try on this cruise, but really do not enjoy long, drawn out dinners. So, given these facts, should I keep the aqua cabin with its perk of eating in Blu for $550 more than the concierge cabin?

We only book Aqua Class in order to be able to dine in Blu...and their breakfast options include all you like plus more!..and dinner there does not have to be a long, drawn out affair. For us the MDR has become too crowded, way too much noise and we think the food quality has declined. I would keep the AQ!! LuAnn

Our preferences are similar to yours. We customarily book a Concierge cabin and eat dinner in the buffet because Hubby can't stand the long dinners and slow service in the MDR. Plus we can time our meals exactly as we please. We do eat breakfast in the Tuscan most mornings unless Hubby just has to have bacon.

So when we took a cruise on Equinox in May 5 of this year, we booked the Concierge cabin as always, but my sister and BIL booked an Aqua Class cabin as did their friends who came along too. Well, long story short, neither couple liked Blu at all and appealed to the maitre d' in the MDR to allow them to eat there instead. I guess this happens often enough that such passengers who don't want to eat in Blu are given a table at the MDR.

Mind you this is the experience of those two couples, and as I have never booked an Aqua Class cabin, I am not speaking from personal experience, but only the experience of hearing them complain every day about how unhappy they were with Blu---not the service, I might add--only the food.

I often read reviews here of passengers who really enjoy Blu, so hopefully they will chime in too and give you their advice about booking an Aqua Class cabin.

Out of 10 is Celebrity cruises, eight have been in Aqua Class. The only Aqua amenity we use is Blu. If you don't plan to eat dinner in Blu, I would not book Aqua Class. Breakfast are good but not worth $550.

You don't say whether it is a seven day or 10 day cruise. I am assuming 7 days. I think $550 is too much extra for a seven day, and since you have go best, you could spend your OBC on specialty restaurants instead, assuming you have lots of OBC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have been in both Aqua and CC cabins and while we enjoyed dining in Blu, I did not feel it was worth the money, even at $550, especially if you are only doing breakfast there. Breakfast is nicer in Blu but not that much nicer. We are not buffet fans so the longer dinners were not an issue for us so for $550 more for two I would go for it for us. But just for breakfast, nope. Not worth it. I normally don't even do CC cabins on the S class ships since they are all the same size as the regular balcony, CC and AQ cabins. I love my balcony but I love saving a bit of money too.

Having dinner in Blu can be a drawn out affair. Much depends on how busy it is when you arrive. One option you should consider is having dinner in the Buffet. They often have theme nights such as Mexican, German, etc. You also have grilled items available as well.

The highlight for us in Blu are the breakfasts. Lots of options and real good quality.

This is a 9 night cruise, if that makes a difference. Interesting responses so far. I would eat dinner in Blu some of the nights for sure if we keep the aqua cabin. But I have read that the buffet for dinner is quite nice.

We were given an upgrade to Aqua Class on our first Celebrity cruise last year (have been on other cruise lines). We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast & dinner in Blu, so much so we booked Aqua Class for our next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hubby and I have done both AQ and CC cabins. Blu is a big draw for us (breakfast and dinner), we also use the Persian Gardens quite a bit. BL, because we enjoy both of AQ's main added amenities, our last 5 or so cruises have been in AQ.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked a C1 cabin because of the location so my vote would be to keep the Concierge booking. The $550 can cover the cost of a lot of nights in the specialty restaurants to make up for the lack of Blu. Just my 2 cents.

Aqua Class doesn't just have the benefit of breakfast, it also has dinner. If your husband likes a speedier dinner then Blu will be appealing. You don't sit with others, and you can select the courses you want. We don't always want appetizer, salad, main, dessert. Sometimes we're in and out in 45 minutes, but it averages about 60-75 minutes. Of course you can linger if you prefer.

One of the advantages to Blu and Select Dining is that you eat at a table by yourselves unless you meet others and self form a group. There is no waiting for others at your table to show up or finish a course, etc.

I love Blu, not only for the food, but because I really have control over my schedule. I like going to the 7PM show and then going to one of the bars for a drink between the show and dinner. If I meet someone in the bar and want to chat, I don't worry about holding up the table. That usually has me eating dinner around 8:15 to 8:30 and Blu is not crowded. If you arrive at that time, you should be seated immediately, and can take as much or little time as you want. You can obviously reverse that and eat earlier, but Blu is likelier to be crowded and therefore a wait or slightly slower service.

The pros/cons to Select dining: has many more folks and can get crowded at peak times. You can also make a reservation ahead of time which should get you seated reasonably close to your selected time.

Granted, many of these options also apply to eating in the buffet. Just some things to think about..

Some cruisers love the buffet for dinner, and if that is you, don't bother with Blu. We have enjoyed our meals there, but honestly don't feel it is quite as superior as some people think. Select Dining isn't bad if you do a little planning, and you can get a lot of info here to help you with that. You can make reservations, or you can find what times are busier and try to avoid those. Waiters in both Blu and the MDR will move your dinner along if you ask them to, no need to have a long drawn out affair if you don't want it. But, if you doubt you would eat most of your dinners in Blu, I would save the $550 for something else.

Just got off the Equinox May 26th and the food in the MDR was fantastic,we we're in and out in a little over an hour from start to finish. Food was hot and delicious. We were on the Solstice in an Aqua class room and we didn,t like Blu at all.We switched to the dining room and enjoyed that better.For us the extra 550$ more isn,t worth it to us. Be your own judge and book what you feel you would enjoy more! Enjoy your cruise no matter what you choose!:D

We have mainly sailed in AQ on X. Recently we sailed in the "lowly" varanda because of the price difference.

We are Elite Plus. Found that dining in the MDR for breakfast was just as good as if not better as there were more choices. We were able to get a table for two and that is our preference as we don't need to socialize and wait on others. We have many opportunities to socialize uduring the rest of the cruise.

There is also the Spa Cafe for breakfast for a healthy alternative but then again it depends on what you choose and how much you consume. 🐷

The Elite breakfast is limited but adequate

Also found that dining in the MDR isnt much different than Blu. We always request a table for two and never had a problem. Can't really say that the food in one is more healthier than in the other. Eggs are eggs and bacon is bacon. Pancakes, toast and etc is the same. Can get egg whites in both and omelets made to order along with any style eggs.

For a 7 day cruise if it is $550 pp it is too much, if it is the total than $275 pp it is border line because of the shower panel, and access to the Persian Gardens, relaxation room plus the dining in Blu that is a little more personal and intimate. Our limit is $35/day pp over a balcony.

Both CC and AQ get foot stools on the balcony, better robes, better room service menus, and better toiletries plus other perks.

Would like to know more about the breakfast for the Diamond on RCCL as we sailed on the Anthem last Oct and wasn't aware of a special dinning area for breakfast.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

:rolleyes:

I should have also mentioned that we are in Select Dining for the concierge cabin. Have read that it doesn't work well and people have long wait times.

Have stayed in both types of Cabin, really like Blu and if the cabin choice and price were right would book again.

As for Select Dining, there are lots of tables for two, we prefer to dine after 8.15 and usually ask for the same table we don't mind waiting for the table and have never waited more than 10 minutes. This means we get to know our servers and the Somelier. I would add that if you want to eat between 6.30 and 8 your wait times could be longer.Same in Blu.

We also feel that the Aqua cabins are a bit too high up for us, decks 6 and 7 are our favourite.

If you like your bacon why not use room service and enjoy breakfast on your balcony. TIP get two coffee cups from the Buffet area, keep them in the cabin and get your morning coffeee fro Cafe al Bacio and transfer from the paper cup.

We love Blu and mostly book Aqua Class. If we don't book Aqua then we just book a normal balcony cabin. Not convinced that CC is worth paying extra for (unless it is cabin location).

If you are Aqua Class then you already have Select dining and can use the MDR at any time. We have found Select works well in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When considering aqua, be careful about cabin location.....you want to try to avoid being under the pool seating area where chairs are scraped along the floor and heavy carts are wheeled across the deck. The aqua cabins are not the best placed cabins on the ship...in fact some believe that aqua was created to help sell some of the previously avoided concierge cabins.

We have done many cruises in aqua...we enjoy blu for the "small ship" atmosphere and the breakfasts...but we tired of the never changing menus (I believe they have recently changed....we haven't been in aqua for at least a year). We now book 1A cabins (with the larger balconies) on S-class and we eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR....with maybe one day in the buffet to get some of the items that aren't served in the MDR. On M-class, we try to book one of the three middle aft A1 cabins on deck 11...or if they are booked, we'll fall back to concierge class (larger balconies than the non-concierge balcony cabins).

Generally, our feeling is that aqua is worth maybe $10-$15 a day per person. More than that, we're perfectly fine in a non-aqua cabin. Select dining seems to work quite well (if you make reservations in advance) and we go to the elite breakfast occasionally just for better coffee unless we have the classic drink package when we'll go to Cafe Baccio which has the best coffee on the ship.

I too indulge in eggs , bacon etc., when we cruise. I prefer to eat in the Oceanview. Eggs are made to order and there is plenty of bacon. I like getting the eggs as soon as they are cooked instead of waiting and getting them from a covered plate.