First Cruise questions please..

Sandrah65

The best time to go depends on where you are going and by best time do you mean best deals or best weather.

Favorite place to visit was the mediterranean (June worked out well for us).

We have only cruised Celebrity and loved it. Different people will have different opinions on cruiselines as some like a more party type boat, others want younger or older passengers. Seems like there is a cruiseline for every type of person!:D Of course, there are some who will go on any just to cruise:) .

Best tip I can give you is to study the cruise critic board-it really helped me out a lot and once you find which cruise is right for you be sure to go to that board and ask any question that comes to mind.

Am sure others will have more definitive answers, but hope this helps a little.

Happy Sailing!

We like the Eastern Caribbean in May. Why May? That is when we take our vacation time year after year. We consider St. Martin/St. Maarten our favourite Caribbean island. We have been numerous times by ship and have stayed as well. For our favourite lines, consult our signature below. Keep in mind, none of this may pertain to you.

In the past we have always sailed for my birthday during Labor day week. (hurricane season which is very cheap) Last year we took a vacation in February. It was soo nice to leave the frozen city and go some place warm. I will never take a summer vacation again.

But sometimes in February starts Spring break (during Presidents week) you will get lots of families and kids. (also costs more)

last year my husband and i flew into san juan the saturday after thanksgiving for a 7 day southern carribean cruise. It was the cheapest time and although he was skeptical about the time of year right before the holidays, we gave it a try. Well, we did not encounter any rain at all - beautiful weather, and we are going again early december this year :). As it turned out it was a wonderful breakup of all the holiday chaos. Final payment for a cruise in december is made in september so it is still well before christmas present payments start being made :) Have a wonderful time whenever and wherever you end up going - I think just being on a cruise ship is a wonderful time!!

The best line is the one that suits your personality best. What is perfect for me, might not be right for you & vice versa. Do you want to cruise w/ younger people? older people? sporty / active people? What are your likes & dislikes? What can you afford?

The best time to go is any time. Based upon the recent weather, however, I would caution against the carribbean during hurricanne season, although we sailed last Septemeber w/o any problems from Hurricanne Isabel. I was very nervous though & after this year wouldn't risk it again.

You may want to speak to a travel agent to address your specific needs.

You need to sit down and write down a lot of questions that you and whomever you are going to cruise with should answer.

For starters:

Do you want to cruise in a warm or cold climate?

Do want to cruise 7 days?

What are your ages?

Do you like beaches, snorkling?

How much are you planning on spending?

Don't forget the cost of drinks on board.

Do you gamble?

Don't forget to add on tips.

Transportation?

If you are going to do tours - add on cost of those.

Do you want to be a ship with older people?

Do you want to be on a ship with a group that likes to partY

And there are lots of other factors that you should consider.

The best time and place is in Nov. to the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan - in Nov. the kids are in school - the prices are lower - the hurricane season should be over - and the weather is great. Carnival Destiny always has very good prices at this time and the itinerary is very nice - you will love Aruba.

It's always impossible to answer whenever anyone asks about the "best" of anything. Best for one person isn't the best for another. Best to some people can mean the luxury lines like Seabourn and Crystal. For others, best means Carnival or RCCI.

Tell us a little about yourselves and what you want from a cruise. Give us an idea about your budget, your likes and dislikes and then we can better help you.

What do you enjoy. History (Mexican Cruises/Panamal Canal). Swimming warm waters, adventure 4X$, climbing, scuba, shopping or relaxing (Caribbean), Hawaii.

Do you want to see nature's wanders (Alaska).

How far are you from a port drive/fly. This can alsocost money.

Will you want to overnight before (recommended)? After?

My Fav right now is Grad Cayman :mad: . Harricanes have taken it toll here.

I'm going to Hawaii which is a dream of mine (R/T LA). Less flying time, dotor's orders.

Thank you so much for all the replies. Sorry I didn't get back to check in sooner. I may not be cruising now for awhile (2 yrs?) And i'm not sure on any details yet.

Personally, I like beaches & shopping. Warm weather. Not many children. Mid age group would be fine.

This board seems very helpful.. I will check back and look into this more when I have better plans. Thanks!

I would suggest then, a non-holiday week (not Christmas, February or April school vacation weeks, or summertime when kids will be onboard) to sail, eastern caribbean and either Celebrity or Holland America for your cruise line.

Archived