A General Question about Excursions

NL Cruisers

I hope this is the right place to post this question...here goes!

Both the excursions we are planning to book in St. Maarten and St. Thomas are ones where you can be dropped downtown and have to make your way back to the ship at your own expense.

Not that a couple of cab rides are an issue, but are there any availability and/or security issues to be concerned about? Should we continue on the transport provided back to the ship?

I am getting a general idea that these are not issues, but a more specific answer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

NL Cruisers:) :confused:

In St. Thomas the distance from the docked ship to downtown is maybe two miles. Taxis are going back and forth all the time (I think it was two dol p/p) so you can get one anywhere......traffic is sometimes so bad that you can walk faster.
In St Maarten (from what I remember)the ship was right downtown.

Wes

We never take excursions, rather we take a cab to whereever it is we want to go. We have not had a prob in the places that you mentioned. The islanders, IMO, are friendly people eager to share their island knowledge with the tourists.

Just make sure you leave in plenty of time to catch the ship. It will sail without you. In St Thomas, there is a rush hour to get back to the ship from the downtown mall. My advice is leave there 45 mins to an hour early. Ex if your ship is sailing at 5 you must be on board by 4:30, leave the Mall at 3:30 to 3:45.

Archived