Need help in Kristiansand and Bergen

Hello CC friends!

I cannot tell you how often I depend on the experience of the people on this forum. :) So here I am again, hat in hand...

WE are booked on a 25 day Baltic/TA leaving in 6 short weeks and still have no idea what to do in Kristiansand or Bergen. I hate large tours so would prefer either a semi-private guide or "on your own" recommendation. Thank you all in advance!

Our ship stopped in Kristiansand, after almost 3 weeks we didn't feel like taking any tours so we simply walked around. It was the least interesting of all our ports. It did have a lovely park with a number of lakes just north of the town.

There was also a swimming and sports complex which looked quite large and fun.

The fish market area was nice if looking to eat.

The most recommended trip was to take a boat to a nearby resort town which started with an L but I have forgotten the name.

Have a great trip

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

We took the ship's tour in Kristiansand which was to the town of Lillesand and then a cruise through all the nearby islands. We loved the tour. The guides were excellent, the weather was brilliant and the scenery was beautiful. We wandered around the town in the afternoon and enjoyed that too.

Our ship stopped in Kristiansand, after almost 3 weeks we didn't feel like taking any tours so we simply walked around.

I wondered if that might be the case. It is my understanding that the town is small and very walkable. Perhaps a day to just wander aimlessly is exactly what we will need at that point. Thank you so much!

We took the ship's tour in Kristiansand which was to the town of Lillesand and then a cruise through all the nearby islands. We loved the tour. The guides were excellent, the weather was brilliant and the scenery was beautiful. We wandered around the town in the afternoon and enjoyed that too.
Do you happen to remember if there were any cafes or bakeries that stood out to you? It might be nice to have a cup of tea and a sweet bun and just people watch for awhile. ;)

Hello!

As someone has mentioned Kristiansand is not at all a big city. So it is a nice town to walk around in. If you would like a tour, the tour to Lillesand is a good choice. The area around Kristiansand are small villages all in white. They are old and gave narrow streets, local bakery and shops. It is nice just to walk around and relax.

https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/southern-norway/kristiansand/?lang=usa

This is the official site for visitt Norway Kristiansand. Here you will find more information about what you can do and a taste of what it looks like.

Hope this will help you:)

Bergen is very walkable. The Bryggen is the old historic part of town. There's a 11/2 hour walking tour of the Bryggen that Rick Steves highly recommends that includes a couple of the museums. The fish market is fun to explore and if it is a nice day you can take the funicular up Mt Floiban. All can be done without prior reservations so you can wait and see what the weather is like and what you feel like doing that day.

mhb1757, Where do we get the walking tour you mention? Is it self guided? We are taking a ship tour in the morning and are interested in just walking around Bergen in the afternoon.

I cannot tell you how often I depend on the experience of the people on this forum. still have no idea what to do in Kristiansand or Bergen. I hate large tours so would prefer either a semi-private guide or "on your own" recommendation.

While we have not yet been to Kristiansand, I can offer some ideas and potential for charming and historic Bergen. Also, below are a number of examples for "photo evidence" as to the wonderful character of this Norway super star. Plus, much more can be seen on my full live/blog connected below for other stops in Norway, etc.

Yes, much can be done on your own by walking around in Bergen.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen. Here is the link to this rail option:

http://www.floibanen.com

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

Added questions? Other info needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 201,235 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor, plus nearby scenic areas, etc.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

Where do you shop in Norway? Here is an example in Bergen in looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smile, our friend, Sharon, was enjoying herself. :

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

mhb1757, Where do we get the walking tour you mention? Is it self guided? We are taking a ship tour in the morning and are interested in just walking around Bergen in the afternoon.

The walking tour leaves from the Bryggen's museum (it's right by the Radisson Blu hotel). It lasts about 11/2 hours and includes short visits to 3 of the good museums (Bryggen, Hanseatic and Hanseatic Assembly Halls) You can also return to any of the museums if you want to explore them in more detail on the same day by showing your tickets. Tickets are reserved thru the Bryggen museum. You can Google it to get the site for reservations.

I was away for a few days and when I came back, WOW!! Cruise Critic posters come through again! I cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to share your knowledge, experience, and pictures with me. :D

I am really looking forward to these two days in Norway now.

Just got back--we did the railway also and amazing views. Highly recommend and on the way down we waited for the next car so we could be the first to board on the next car so I could photograph through the window. Got some amazing shots I might add. One thing I didn't know before leaving was the fisherman's market has restaurants or I should say table and chairs so if you like seafood then go there to eat!!! We had just eaten at a lousy pizza place which wasn't very good---went to get out of the rain actually---when we walked and saw the seafood which was what we were craving we were very disappointed. We did hop on and hop off--just a short distance from the ship. Very easy walk and we are both 64. Loved Bergen.

Hello!

As someone has mentioned Kristiansand is not at all a big city. So it is a nice town to walk around in. If you would like a tour, the tour to Lillesand is a good choice. The area around Kristiansand are small villages all in white. They are old and gave narrow streets, local bakery and shops. It is nice just to walk around and relax.

https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/southern-norway/kristiansand/?lang=usa

This is the official site for visitt Norway Kristiansand. Here you will find more information about what you can do and a taste of what it looks like.

Hope this will help you:)

Thank you, Norway Lady, for the information. We will be visiting by cruise ship next year and just started researching for the best way to see your city. We are interested in seeing the folk museum as well as the town and wonder if the ship tour is the best option for us. Our ancestors came from this region and we can't wait to see some of Norway.

Thank you again,

Carol

• 1 month later...
While we have not yet been to Kristiansand, I can offer some ideas and potential for charming and historic Bergen. Also, below are a number of examples for "photo evidence" as to the wonderful character of this Norway super star. Plus, much more can be seen on my full live/blog connected below for other stops in Norway, etc.

Thank you, Terry, for a fantastic post with pictures.

I'm on the same cruise as Frisco Lady (or at least the transatlantic portion of it), and am so happy you've spend the time to give us the flavor of Bergen.

Jim

Kristiansund operates a fleet of small ferries which are very cheap. From memory there are five stations. You can either do a round trip which takes 45 minutes or you can get iff and explore each of the different parts.

We also picked up a do it yourself sight seeing map from the information bureau and took the walk on the northern side to a look out tower.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, Terry, for a fantastic post with pictures. Jim

Appreciate your kind comments on my post/pictures and this follow-up. Hope that I am not "punishing" folks too much, but below are some added views and angles regarding wonderful Bergen. It is really an amazing and historic city that was so interesting for us. Clearly, also, we were very lucky to have the sunny, nice weather there in mid July.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 155,398 views for this posting.

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview. Being up, UP high really gives a great perspective for this city and the nearby waters, mountains, etc.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

In Bergen’s Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $13.25 each at that time) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

In the Bergen market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

From a higher location, here is a view of the Fish Market area and other buildings in the main part of Bergen. Seeing Bergen from different angles is interesting and a key part to appreciate its unique beauty.:

BergenFishMarkTown.jpg

Along the Bergen harbor with many people in this plaza, this photo shows a tight angle of the wooden Hanseatic League merchant warehouses on the right and the Bergenhus Festning Castle and its mid 1500’s Rosenkrantz Tower.:

BergenCastleWarehouseAngle.jpg

From our ship as the sun is getting ready to set on July 14, here is the view of the Bergen harbor on our sail away at 11 pm.:

BergenPortSunsetting.jpg

• 1 month later...

Our TransAtlantic cruise stopped in Kristiansand in early September. The ship docked next to a small quarry and right behind that quarry is a trail leading up to Odderoya, a former military base now open to the public. My husband and I took a picnic lunch and spent the entire morning there. It is a fascinating and beautiful place of forests, rocky ledges overlooking the fjord, ramparts, armaments and gunnery from WWI and WWII as well as some ruins. There were very few other visitors. We loved it and picked wild blackberries and blueberries growing along the trails for dessert. For anyone with mobility issues, the rather steep road up to the final overlook may present a challenge, but we are in our seventies and had no problems. Bring your own water and food, although bathrooms are available.

In Kristiansand we took the city bus out to the Cannon Museum. That was very interesting.

In Bergen we walked up to the funicular. It was beautiful and with all the switchbacks the going up was not that hard. The views were beautiful and you get to meet local people.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, but I'm not sure, that there's a Kristiansand and a Kristiansund in Norway. If so, you might want to make sure you're getting information for the one you'll be visiting. Our cruise ship was originally scheduled to go to Kristiansund, near Molde, on western coast of Norway.