Flam train in Norway

I'm booked on Celebrity Norway for August, 2017 and according to several CC posts have been advised to purchase Flam Train ASAP because it sells out fast. I'm interested in the 3.5 hour tour but here's my dilemma: both of us take diuretics for HBP and the description says there are no facilities on the train or in the station. Trip is 3.5 hours with 1.5 hours spent on your own at the mountain top, so I'm thinking the train ride is 1 hour each way but DH is concerned about the total length of time from ship to mountain top. Has anyone taken this trip, and if so, how long is it from the ship to the train...and then from the station to the top? Is it worth the $290 it will cost for 2 people? If not, what would you recommend in Flam?

We did the Flam railway last month.

The train was about a 10 minute walk from where we docked - I dont know if there are other docks.

We booked independently, and there was a restroom in the train car we were in.

It was an hour each way - we did not even get off the train in Myrdal. I don't think there is much to do there, and someone said it can be confusing. I see there is a cafe there, and I would assume there are restrooms.

The excursion our cruise ship offered stopped at the station before Myrdal for coffee and waffles or pancakes. There was a hotel there that we could see from the station. I assume there would be restrooms there.

It was much cheaper to do independently, but booking in advance is advisable.

Have fun!

We have also done the train independently. We docked about 200m flat walk from the station. I also remember there being a toilet on board.

I would book the train directly from the Flam railway online asap. Much cheaper than the cruise excursion.

There are lots of threads on this subject if you do a search.

Thank you all......I feel better about this now and I will do research....I already went to Flam website but it was a little confusing with respect to bathrooms...one FAQ said there were bathrooms on the train, but celebrity excursions said there were NO facilities at station or on train. It does say there are no facilities on boats or buses...possible X didn't go any further.

I don't know what is included in the $290 excursion, but the train ride itself can be bought on https://www.nsb.no/en/ (the Norwegian railway website) for NOK680 pp (ie $80). Tickets will go on sale usually 90 days before departure date. You can choose the time that you want, there is no need to stay 1,5 hours at the top as it is just a small train station in the mountain. The fun part is the train ride. The train will leave Flam for Myrdal, stay about 10 minutes in Myrdal and go back, so if you do both ways with the same train, it will take about 2 hours round trip (shortest possible time). I don't know about toilets at the station unfortunately.

We took the train to Flam last summer on our Norway cruise. As mentioned, the train depot is walking distance from the cruise pier. There are restrooms in the depot, and on the train. There was a restroom at the station in Myrdal. Unfortunately, the 10 minutes they give you at Myrdal, if you have a round trip ticket, isn't enough time to use the restroom and get a hot chocolate..lines were too long, and if you weren't boarding when they called, you didn't get friendly assistance!

But the views are worth it, even in overcast weather. Cruise lines charge ridiculous fees for this trip. Book yourself to save money or get your roll call group to do a group event and save 10%.

Enjoy!

I did a independent train tour - just make sure that you buy tickets in advance - trains will be sold out.

[YOUTUBE]yjnzGcyWPIk[/YOUTUBE]

FANTASTIC!!!!!! Now I can't wait to go... Waterfalls were just spectacular. Thank you so much for posting this. It was also good to see how close the ship is to the train. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the Flam train a few days ago. There are toilets on the train. Look for the WC signs.

The train ride is very enjoyable. We didn't get off in Mydral, just switched seats to be on the opposite side travelling back to Flam.

We booked our tickets on line, independent of our cruise ship. Walk to the train was quick from where we docked. The sail in/out of Flam is beautiful.

We also booked our tickets independently... We saved a lot of money by booking for our family of five rather than taking the exact same train with the cruise ship.

Another plus is that independent travelers board before the groups. We arrived about 20 minutes before boarding and got great seats.

Some photos of our experience 670738d393a07a4f83a6cb16f7028445.jpg

I was wondering which side of the train was better... Both offered beautiful views3636db996c89ee8a703af83616c8f946.jpg

When you stop at the waterfall, there is an interesting surprise and music6e08a040b42eff3fa8c0ac04fc44c289.jpg

Interior of the train5eb9527f74be06b2cef8ead62e19abbe.jpg

The stop at Myrdal is brief but there are some nice views... We stretched our legs a bit. Pay attention so you won't miss your train back...9909b5fbb73937daff3ef243f3f59f78.jpg

Lots of charming houses... I would love to live in one of them!874c44c81bf36ea6181d309d135f3c89.jpg

The Flåm Railway is extremely easy to do on your own, much cheaper and a special memory.

Brazilgirl - I am very interested that you said independent travelers board before the groups. Someone on TripAdvisor said the groups boarded first and the independent people had not much choice for seats. Is that not correct?

It's not a matter of who boards first.... cars and sections of cars are reserved for groups. Independent travellers are directed to specific cars.

We were on board before the groups from our ship and other organized tours boarded.

Brazilgirl - I am very interested that you said independent travelers board before the groups. Someone on TripAdvisor said the groups boarded first and the independent people had not much choice for seats. Is that not correct?

The line we were in for independent travelers was first to board. Perhaps it varies?

I actually wrote to the Flåmsbana offices and inquired if it advantagous to form a group on my roll call. In a series of emails, they recommended that it was actually better to be an independent traveller.

Here is part of the correspondence:

Dear Kim,

We are glad to hear that you plan to take the Flåm Railway!

I am aware many websites recommends group bookings. This has to do with us not having an online sale for individual passengers before a few years ago, so it became quite popular to make private groups in order to secure space on the train. Now anybody can buy a ticket in advance, so getting group reservations isn't that much of point anymore.

If you are a private party of ten people we actually recommend you to travel as individual passengers, as you will have the possibility of changing seats in Myrdal for the return. That way you will have the possibility of seeing the view on one side going up and the other coming back. If we assign seats for you, you must keep these seats both ways. It is also highly likely that you will get assigned seats further away from the waterfall Kjosfossen if we assign the seats, then if you find yourselves seats in the carriages for individual travelers yourself. In my opinion it is only better to make a group reservation if you are 20-30 people +.

If you do want to make a group booking, you must first cancel the tickets you already have purchased and you must make a booking by mail. We will then send you a link that you must use to pay the tickets by credit card. One person must be responsible for making one payment for the whole group. When boarding the train, all the members of the group must then go through the ticket control together.

Med vennlig hilsen - Best regards

Sindre H. Orvedal

• 2 weeks later...

Were you on a ship that had a shuttle in Flam? Our ship is scheduled to get there at 8am but then it tenders. I am wondering how much time it will take to get off the ship and get to the station. We are booked on Holland America.

Were you on a ship that had a shuttle in Flam? Our ship is scheduled to get there at 8am but then it tenders. I am wondering how much time it will take to get off the ship and get to the station. We are booked on Holland America.

Our ship was docked and the walk was maybe 5/7 minutes to the train station. Very easy. Flåm is very tiny and it is quite and easy, paved walk.

Thanks but I know it is close. My question was how long it takes when your ship is tendered.

Normally they will operate with two tenders simultaneously, so limited capacity and depending on the ship's tender procedures it might take a while from arrival to the port and then get a tender ashore. Often excursions have priority.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be unwise to book for a train that departs earlier than an hour after your scheduled arrival time.

The journey on the tender is very short and the ships we have been in (Holland America) have a pretty slick tendering procedure.

The train and booking office are only 3 or 4 minutes walk from the tendering point.

It's definitely much cheaper to book direct with the Flam Railway rather than taking a ships tour. If you are worried by time to use the rest rooms then there is no need to return immediately. You can book to come back on the following train. There's not much to do at the top other than to use the restroom, have a coffee and wait for the train.

The views on the journey itself are fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kitty,

We were also on the train August 2016. From memory tickets for 2016 went on sale during November 2015. We had booked an early departure and managed to fit in the minibus tour to the Stegasen lookout as well. Buses leave from the carpark next to the station. There is a large toilet block at the station/information centre as well as a toilet in the train carriage.

• 5 months later...

Can I just check, once you buy a train ticket online for a specific train, are you guaranteed to get a seat on that train?

I read an old post about people having to line up at Flam station to get tickets validated, but maybe that has changed now?

Can I just check, once you buy a train ticket online for a specific train, are you guaranteed to get a seat on that train?

I read an old post about people having to line up at Flam station to get tickets validated, but maybe that has changed now?

There are no reserved seats on this train but if you have a ticket you will have a seat on the train.