Help with public transport d.t. Copenhagen to port

rmarq

Was just in Copenhagen on Tuesday :). Whether public transit is a good option depends on how much luggage you have. We assume that your ship will dock at Oceankaj at Nordhavn (North Port), but you need to check since there are 2 other possible ports used by some cruise ships. If you are at Oceankaj, there are 3 piers (1,2, and 3) with 1 being the closest to the nearest bus stop and 3 being a much longer hike. We simply took a taxi from our Copenhagen hotel to the port (cost us about $30) because of all our luggage.

Rather then explain all the details, here is a link to some excellent info (which seems to be up to date based on our recent trip).

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Copenhagen

I again want to stress that the distance from the bus stop to your terminal can be relatively easy (Pier 1), a little harder (Pier 2) and about 1/2 mile if your ship is at Pier #3! The walkways are excellent and flat....but that can still seem like a long distance if dragging luggage.

As to your initial question regarding the Central Station, there really are no good options from that place other then a taxi. But if your train also stops at Osterport Station (the closest station to the port) you could jump off there and wait for the #27 bus (supposed to run about every 20 min....but we once waited an hour for the 27). The Norreport Station also has bus service to the stop near the port, but that bus stop can be a pain to locate...so ask for help. The link I referenced does a good job explaining all.

Hank

Danish Viking's Thread, "Wonderful Copenhagen 2016" is a wealth of knowledge about using public transportation to get from the airport to the city to the cruiseport. (Danish Viking even provides photos so you know what to look for at the stations.)

If you are on the Regal, you will be at Oceankaj. Our ship was at Oceankaj last summer and we used public transportation from the city to get there. As already stated (and as you will see on the "Wonderful Copenhagen" website), you just need to get to Osterport St. and pick up the 27 bus. (I recommend that over going to Norreport to get the special cruise day 25 bus as it's schedule is not as regular as the 27 bus.) The entire trip should take about 30 minutes and cost you 24 DKK. If you can handle your luggage, it's a great way to go.

Another good resource for planning transportation in Copenhagen is the Rejseplanen (Trip Planner) website: http://www.rejseplanen.dk

If you can fly around the world, pay for a cruise you can afford a taxi from Copenhagen central to port. We paid DKK 258, $52 AU and it was worth every cent/penny. No dragging bags to station or bus and vice versa at the other end. I was happy to do public transport until my daughter showed me in the car how far 800 metres was. Ie still carrying, dragging luggage, still doing it etc until we had reached the distance.

Very helpful cab drivers from airport to hotel, to ship and return - all four great helpful, courteous drivers.

If you can fly around the world, pay for a cruise you can afford a taxi from Copenhagen central to port. We paid DKK 258, $52 AU and it was worth every cent/penny. No dragging bags to station or bus and vice versa at the other end. I was happy to do public transport until my daughter showed me in the car how far 800 metres was. Ie still carrying, dragging luggage, still doing it etc until we had reached the distance.

Very helpful cab drivers from airport to hotel, to ship and return - all four great helpful, courteous drivers.

I'm glad the taxi option worked for you, but others (like us) prefer using the local public transportation and don't mind hauling luggage or walking 800 meters. If the OP wants to use public transportation in Copenhagen, they will find it easy to do.

Agreed.

I think its were rude to tell others what to do.

Copenhagen has a very functional public transportation system and it will be much better when the metro reach the cruise terminal but that is many years from now.

I was not being rude, simply stating my opinion. At no time would I presume to tell someone what to do.

I found the public transport system excellent, but after a 26 hour travel, and with heavy luggage and being of a certain age, I was kind to myself.

Comparing costs for two people there was not a massive difference.

• 3 weeks later...

We paid 290 kroner on Tuesday from scandic palace near city hall to oceankaj. We could have gone for free using our Copenhagen card however since it was 1230 I was ready to get on board! Plus my spinner didn't do well on cobble streets there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've just returned from the Regal Princess and used public transport both ways (disclaimer: light travellers, one bag each - taking advantage of the ship's launderette). Embarked via metro to Nørreport and then the 25 bus, disembarked back to airport via the 27 bus (we docked at pier 331 so the bus stop is about 100 m) to Østerport and then a train direct to the airport. Journey time was about 35 - 40 mins.

As noted Danish viking's instructions are easy to follow and at DKK 36 per person one-way it's a lot cheaper than either a cab or the Princess' transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

On our return to Copenhagen, we again took a taxi from ship to the train station which was basically same area we took a taxi to the ship 2 weeks prior. The price was 167 kr vs 290 as before. The cab driver was a dick... he started driving away before we had our bags out of the car with the back lid open. He finally stopped after we started screaming and cussing. It seems fares are all over the place to/from the cruise port