Live from the Encore: Unfortunately not the Seabourn Standard!

We shared the same cruise and also have the same opinion that Encore is not up to previous Seabourn standards-the extra passenger load seems to be taking its toll.

The Colonnade was always busy at breakfast and lunch and the staff had a difficult time. Service was not swift or attentive - it was clear that they were a bit overwhelmed.

The buffet was not very creative and the food rather tasteless- The Restaurant food was quite limited in selection and unless a special request was made it tasted like the mass produced product it was. We had three good meals- two from the TK Grille and one special request- the rest were bland and boring/ too repetitive.

We started ordering room service breakfast because of the crowding in the Colonnade and our omelettes/pancakes were dry and often missing ingredients. The coffee could also be improved upon and running out of OJ is rediculous.

The pool deck has one row of loungers in the shade- less than we have experienced on previous cruises, and the area was extremely crowded even with 7 ports of call. The Encore increased its passenger load but maintained a footprint similar to its other 3 ships which results in inadequate space and the ship seemed to be understaffed to meet the needs of its guests.

We cruised on the Legend, Quest and Sojourn prior to this recent cruise and would not cruise Seabourn again if this had been our first experience. A decline in the quality of food, wine and service were noticeable and I am hoping that this is not the Seabourn of the future.

We shared the same cruise and also have the same opinion that Encore is not up to previous Seabourn standards-the extra passenger load seems to be taking its toll.

The Colonnade was always busy at breakfast and lunch and the staff had a difficult time. Service was not swift or attentive - it was clear that they were a bit overwhelmed.

The buffet was not very creative and the food rather tasteless- The Restaurant food was quite limited in selection and unless a special request was made it tasted like the mass produced product it was. We had three good meals- two from the TK Grille and one special request- the rest were bland and boring/ too repetitive.

We started ordering room service breakfast because of the crowding in the Colonnade and our omelettes/pancakes were dry and often missing ingredients. The coffee could also be improved upon and running out of OJ is rediculous.

The pool deck has one row of loungers in the shade- less than we have experienced on previous cruises, and the area was extremely crowded even with 7 ports of call. The Encore increased its passenger load but maintained a footprint similar to its other 3 ships which results in inadequate space and the ship seemed to be understaffed to meet the needs of its guests.

We cruised on the Legend, Quest and Sojourn prior to this recent cruise and would not cruise Seabourn again if this had been our first experience. A decline in the quality of food, wine and service were noticeable and I am hoping that this is not the Seabourn of the future.

This isn't good to hear. I'm considering booking my first Seabourn cruise on Encore in July next year because of the great itinerary but I keep reading about how the food isn't good and tasteless. Even on the reviews page this sentiment is repeated. I'm not going to spend $20K for bad food. I've always been happy with Oceania's food but wanted to branch out and try Seabourn. Food is important to me, as much as the ports.

This isn't good to hear. I'm considering booking my first Seabourn cruise on Encore in July next year because of the great itinerary but I keep reading about how the food isn't good and tasteless. Even on the reviews page this sentiment is repeated. I'm not going to spend $20K for bad food. I've always been happy with Oceania's food but wanted to branch out and try Seabourn. Food is important to me, as much as the ports.

I agree with Colgal 100%! Book either an other Seabourn ship or switch to Oceania and book a Penthouse! The cabins are nice and the food is really great (we had two cruises on the riviera)!

I have supplied lots of comments about Encore on other threads of this forum during the Dubai to Sydney inaugural season and afterwards from home. And so maybe I can reflect on what we are reading here from those that have also

experienced the Encore.

Yes, the Encore is nothing like the original little sisters and has less and less in common with the Odyssey class ships the more I think about it. And so I have made up my mind for MY future cruises I won't be sailing on Encore or its sister ship that debuts next year.

Why?

The tempo and the style of Seabourn's Encore has changed. And not in a good way, in my view. As you point out there is far less space per passenger out of doors - as represented by fewer sun loungers both in and out of the sun. This point applies to less deck space for walking on deck (which is a priority for me) on deck 5 and elsewhere, a problem which is compounded by the addition of 150 more passengers. Then there is the fact that the Grand Salon cannot hold the traditional captain's welcome party and so this has been discarded favor his "meet and greet" walkabout. And those other issues you mention about queues, food etc.

Why did Seabourn allow for these changes and what does it mean? Simply that Seabourn traded off certain characteristics of the Odyssey class - in its determination to add 150 added more passengers person ship - for cost reasons at the expense of space. And then, to add insult to injury,

Encore's designers and marketeers sacrificed what would have been a large sports deck for a "Retreat" in pursuit of revenues ($350/day/couple) from the few who would desire it- at the expense of everyone else.

So what you have is a concept that may well please some but does not please or suit me. I remember the original Seabourn concept of space and service quality that I believe are retained in large part on the Odyssey class ships. And they carry with them the original and simple egalitarian Scandinavian concept of access with understated luxury.

My conclusion is that Encore suits some and not others. We might as well consider them different brands if that helps you recognize the differences and not buy into a concept that won't suit you. After all, you have choices.

I look forward to my next 3 cruises on Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn, and those captain's welcome parties where we all gather in the Grand Salon, some in formal wear and others not, to meet the officers and hear what's what for our voyage.

No walkabouts for me. Except each morning on deck 5 ending with a climb up to deck 11 for some deck sports. With all that space around the ship.

Happy and healthy cruising!

Sounds like the new ships with 600 pax is too much. 500 pax would have been my max comfort level as I prefer smaller. It is no longer "the yachts of Seabourn". I will also stick to the three O class ships. Otherwise we might as well sail Regent or Crystal if we want "bigger is better" style.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We spent 35 days on the Encore (Singapore to Athens arriving May 6) and enjoyed our time a great deal. The TK Grill was a great disappointment but the TK Bar was good with a terrific female singer and piano player.

The Restaurant was very good including the TK menu items served there. We did not have any serving issues in the Colonnade or the Patio Grill, in fact service was good. The cabins are slightly smaller (narrower than the smaller ships).

This was our 3rd and best Seabourn experience dispite the TK Grill disappointment.

• 2 weeks later...