Romantic Danube Viking Cruise - Wine

fmax

Looking forward to doing the christmas markets cruise later this year from Budapest to Nuremberg.

I've read on several threads that the wine provided on the ship is the same each day. just wondering if anyone can advise what the wine served actually is.

On our Rhine cruise, the included wine differed daily, but there were only maybe a dozen options throughout the eight day cruise (so definitely some repeats). The only specific I can remember was a sweet Riesling (which wasn't my cup of tea). I realize that isn't an especially helpful answer, but I, too, have read others stating that the wine was the same each day, which we did not find to be true. Hopefully others can provide more specifics.

On Viking the wine usually changes daily. However on our last Viking River Rhine cruise they served the same wine every night. Bummer. Believe this was a stocking screwup. In any case folks upgrading to Silver Spirits have choices of even more, better vintages. The cost is just not worth it for us but for wine aficionados and those wanting before/after dinner cocktails it's a deal..

On Viking the wine usually changes daily. However on our last Viking River Rhine cruise they served the same wine every night. Bummer. Believe this was a stocking screwup. In any case folks upgrading to Silver Spirits have choices of even more, better vintages. The cost is just not worth it for us but for wine aficionados and those wanting before/after dinner cocktails it's a deal..

Agreed! We drank one of the slightly better (not included) wines almost every night. We had the Silver Spirits package as a perk from our travel agent and I did the math (for no reason other than being a data nerd) and we came out slightly ahead, if you considered the price of the package. Viking's drink prices are quite reasonable, though, if you just want a nicer glass with dinner and/or a nightcap at the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We preferred buying better local wines at each port. No problem bringing them on board and to dinners, no corkage fee and waiters would immediately offer to open. Try some of the Franken Wines from the Nuremberg area. Gruner Veltliner from Austria. These are whites, can't say much for the few reds of this area, better to go with Italian or French reds. We also brought on a couple of whites and red from Hungary.

We preferred buying better local wines at each port. No problem bringing them on board and to dinners, no corkage fee and waiters would immediately offer to open. Try some of the Franken Wines from the Nuremberg area. Gruner Veltliner from Austria. These are whites, can't say much for the few reds of this area, better to go with Italian or French reds. We also brought on a couple of whites and red from Hungary.

This is great advice although we've never done it! :)

Was it relatively easy to find places close to ship to purchase wine?

Yes, any grocery store in the cities toured have the local wines. Before you go, do a search, Google or Bing, with Something like "best places to buy wine in ( city)"- you get a list of stores with a map. Like in Passau, a good gift/variety store was just 4 blocks off the northern cruise ship docking area, half a block from the river.

Yes, any grocery store in the cities toured have the local wines. Before you go, do a search, Google or Bing, with Something like "best places to buy wine in ( city)"- you get a list of stores with a map. Like in Passau, a good gift/variety store was just 4 blocks off the northern cruise ship docking area, half a block from the river.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll do that. I generally try to create my own google map for places I visit so can add to that.

I've been on 6 Viking river cruises so far (tho' the last was a year ago) and I am a wine fanatic.

The included wine offered with meals has been a red or white and there's a rose if requested. At the beginning the white was Gruner Veltline and red Zweigelt, both excellent from Morwald winery in Austria with whom Vikingclaimed some link. But the huge expansion in the Viking fleet means that there aren't enough if these wines for every one.

They have used generica French wines, and recently (and amazingligly while sailing through Germany) Argentinian wine - reason given, the owner of that winery is German!

Fact is, you can't be certain what wines will appear ion what cruise, depends on what is supplied to boat.

Silver package? Firstly,not all wines on the limited wine list are included - look for the exceptions marked with asterisks -- they'te the best ones. The others are IMO over priced especialy when by buying one, you'd not be drinking their free house wine. Unless you also intend drinking cocktails and spirits at the bar I don't find Silver Package makes sense - exspecialy as averyone in cabin need to buy package.

Better by far for wine lovers is to buy wines locally to take on board. Drink wines from the regions you pass through. Own wines are welcomed, there's no corkage and no problems. Some towns you get included tours to will have shops you can taste and buy. Ask guide to point them out.

Best tour for wine lovers is the Bordeaux one which includes dinner at 3rd Growth Ch Kirwan in Margaux with their wines generously poured.

I tend to lean towards red, rather than white. Did pick up a Gruner Veltliner at the weekend and thought it was okay, but not something I would generally drink. Can't get Franken at our local iiquor stores and one Zweigelt only available online with additional shipping costs.

i think I'll go the route of purchasing off the ship and bringing onboard.

Thanks again for the input.