Star - Family vs 2 Bedroom Suite

jm485

Traveling late October on the Star with my MIL. We are currently in a Family Suite. Trying to decide whether to bid on an upgrade to a 2 BDR suite.

We're thinking we may miss the balcony. Given the time of year, though, IDK how much we'd use the balcony and the "wall of windows" and open floor plan of the Family Suite might feel more spacious than the 2 bedroom. The extra bath would be nice, but we shared before on a longer trip and it wasn't a big problem.

Any thoughts?

Some of the Family suites suffer from noise from above. I'm not sure if there are two or three sailing. If three, then the extra bedroom/bathroom would be very nice. Having the bedrooms separate from the living area is also a handy feature of the 2br. The Adriatic/Greek Isles are still warm enough in October to make the balcony usable. The only downside is if you are thinking of trying to upgrade suite to suite through the bidding system. I would figure you would already have an upgrade offer, but suite to suite pricing of the minimum bids usually makes the move not a very good deal. As the sail date gets closer often you can just pay the full price difference for less than the minimum bid.

Edit: Wow, I just looked and there are a lot of 2br still available on your sailing. I would expect some more significant price drops on that category. If a low bid is available that might be the best option as none of the Star's 2br are in a bad location.

Edited by Até

I see the Family suites have also dropped in the last month or so. Historic FS prices were fairly close to what the 2br is now at, so depending on what you paid a better option may be for you to call to see if NCL will let you upgrade for just the difference.

I have sailed in both categories and the 2 BR is much nicer for a family. The 2nd BR might be a bit cramped if you are taking large teenagers but for younger kids it is just right. The extra bath is a great addition and the master bath is outstanding.

Thanks to all of you for the input.

There are just 2 of us -- my husband jokes about marrying a girl "just like the one who married dear old dad." His mom and I get along well and both love to travel. My husband -- does not (except for an occasional road trip). So once every few years, my MIL and I take off on an adventure and my husband stays home to watch the cats. Everybody wins!

The prices on this trip are crazy low. Single cabins were available at a very attractive price when we booked, with the family suite about $1500 more than the total for the 2 balconies we booked. Over 4th of July weekend, we saw the FS was priced at what we were paying for the 2 balconies and decided that the perks made sharing worth it.

I've been watching the prices and availability of the 2BR. At the moment, the additional $800 or so for the 2 BR isn't worth it to us, but I'll keep an eye out once we're past final payment. If it gets cheap enough, will likely swap up.

Appreciate your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are just 2 of us ....

If you do go for the 2br plan ahead who would sleep where and how the cost would be split. There is a drastic difference between the two bedrooms and bathrooms.

I have traveled on the Star in both the family suite and the 2 bedroom with my best friend. The family suite has more comfortable sleeping for both people. You have multiple options. Split the bed into two lowers. Both very comfortable. Have the room steward bring down the bed in the dining table area and make that up. There are curtains and sliders to move around to add privacy options. You do have to share the bathroom. But it is large and easy to move around each other. Also, very comfortable setup for lounging in the room. Coffee / breakfast in the morning, etc. lots of space.

The 2 bedroom gives you increased privacy for two solos. But one of you gets the smaller bedroom and bathroom. I've slept in both the smaller bedroom and the master. The master is extremely comfortable with great bathroom and shower. The smaller bedroom bed is not as comfortable. The room steward will bring in extra mattress padding to improve comfort. The bathroom is functional. Reasonable size shower. I had no problems with the smaller room but I'm not that picky about bathroom size etc. the living room area is nice and allows one person to stay up or get up early without disturbing the other. The balcony is small. Two chairs and a side table.

Both rooms get the same suite perks. If you two are used to traveling together I'd save the money and stay in the family suite. If you like a little more privacy then go for the 2 bedroom. I will say that the family suites on deck 12 are convenient to pool deck and buffet, if that is a factor for you.

. The family suite has more comfortable sleeping for both people. You have multiple options. Split the bed into two lowers. Both very comfortable. Have the room steward bring down the bed in the dining table area and make that up.

We were in a Family Suite on deck 12 on the Star in February and the main bed no longer separates into 2 beds. We didn't find this out until we arrived in the room. I slept on the murphy bed, but the mattress wasn't comfortable. The concierge contacted a room supervisor who had an additional mattress added which solved the problem.

To the OP, either will be fine, but I'll bid/move up to a 2 bedroom next time.