FYI for those who use a CPAP

Chances are 98% all bags will be in your by bedtime. (percentage is my WAG).

Personally, I carry mine in our roll aboard carryon. We roll that to lunch and by then we can go to the room. Yea, they have a place to check it, but it is so easy to just drag it with me. Bag also has ipads, change of clothes and important meds. Actually - on last two cruises, we each had just one carry on - TOTAL. Expect to the same on next cruise. Hopefully you saw my earlier post about dropping the humidifier part of cpap.

I'm a proud owner of my new CPAP as of 2 days ago so very interested in this post. Mine has a humidifier but am curious about not needing it. Is there a special part i need to cover the opening? Might try it before I leave to see if I tolerate it

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

I'm a proud owner of my new CPAP as of 2 days ago so very interested in this post. Mine has a humidifier but am curious about not needing it. Is there a special part i need to cover the opening? Might try it before I leave to see if I tolerate it

There are so many models of CPAPs...... you actually would be the one who could answer your question by opening the owner's manual that came with it....

Just noticed one poster asked about checking CPAP in case to be delivered to room. No idea what sort of case you have, but the ones that came with mine are rather flimsy. Nothing I would allow baggage handlers to deal with.

I don't even use the case when traveling.

They are no outlets next to the nightstands in the Breakaway Class. In most cabins you have to run the cord across the floor to the desk area. In other ships, I am able to unplug the light, put in a European to USA adapter and be all set. I also bring a clip on fan. When I get up, I just unplug and store under the bed. Don't freak out if you cannot get distilled water. The water out of the faucet is processed and never caused me any problems.

... Don't freak out if you cannot get distilled water. The water out of the faucet is processed and never caused me any problems.

When I was still using the Humidifier, we were fine with the water onboard this is "somewhat distilled" anyways. At home I was using the filtered water from fridge.

And, now that I have tried it at home, I no longer even bother with the water part. I removed that and travel with a unit half the size.

Nice to know. We always bring our non-surge protected 10' extension cord "just in case" the steward can't provide one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

As a building inspector, I have to ask (it's a disease, believe me) why a non-surge suppressor type extension cord? I suspect what you are really referring to is what are known in the industry, fused-disconnect strip with an on/off switch.

Non-fused strips are approved for household use only; read the attached label on the cord. That small wire is only approved for use in homes. Others need to be minimum one size large Gage wire.

As a building inspector' date=' I have to ask (it's a disease, believe me) why a non-surge suppressor type extension cord? I suspect what you are really referring to is what are known in the industry, fused-disconnect strip with an on/off switch.

Non-fused strips are approved for household use only; read the attached label on the cord. That small wire is only approved for use in homes. Others need to be minimum one size large Gage wire.[/quote']

Because surge protecters are dangerous onboard cruise ships and are not allowed by the cruiselines. There are several threads on CC about the specifics but from what I recall it has something to do with the electricity on the ship not being constant, so the surge protector's surge protection gets worn down and if it fails while onboard can cause a fire.

edit: here is a post by chengkp75 that explains it and includes links to more information

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49397869&postcount=6

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for those possibly looking for a newer, updated state of the art full face mask. Resmed has a new one called Air Touch F20 that has been on the market for about two months. Its very similar to their Air Fit F20, and the cushions are even interchangeable. The Air Touch's cushion is made of memory foam instead of the dual silicone of the Air Fit. If you currently have the Air Fit, the new cushion will fit your mask.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We're booked in a B6 Large Balcony Room on Breakaway. I called their Special Assistance desk yesterday to see if DH needs to bring his own distilled water and extension cord. They noted our reservation and room #s and said the distilled water will be waiting in our cabin, but that we should bring a 4- or 6-foot extension cord with us. Also said if the bed/table arrangement dosn't work for his CPAP that our cabin steward will be happy do any rearranging. Thought this info might help someone else too.

I no longer use a CPAP machine but when I did I never brought extension cords or distilled water .They were always available on the ship.

Usually you board, and there will be a lounge or designated room where they'll check your carry-on bag. Then you can both swim and pick up your carry-on when the rooms are ready. Stephen. .

Not all of the ships offer a place to check your carryon bags. But even so we would never give a CPAP case to a porter. We always carryon the CPAP and if there's no place on the ship to check it, then we carry it until the cabin is ready. Luckily the CPAP case has a shoulder strap.

I am using my wife's log in for this

my new cpap has the humidier as part of the unit Resmed airsense 10. I dont think you can use it without but it inserts andf mostly disappears. the old one, the humidifier detached and they provided a plate to cover the "raw" end which had connections.Check with the supplier of your machine. I traveled without the humidifier on the old machine. If you have a machine like mine make sure you empty and dry the water chamber before packing!

You dont have to use distilled water in a pinch, bottled water is okay - per my home care company.

I bought a nifty camera backpack that is sized to just fit under the plane seat (checked the dimensions with both airlines) Altura LIght Traveler Backpack. $40. See Amazon. That will hold my cpap, hose, mask and cord and the camera I am bringing and the other stuff, my wife will use a backpack for other stuff and its not stiff so it will conform on the plane. We dont mind carrying with us until rooms are ready. Not going swimming, but eating and drinking :-)

I bought a nifty camera backpack that is sized to just fit under the plane seat ... That will hold my cpap, hose, mask and cord and the camera I am bringing and the other stuff ...)

So long as you are figuring on that as being your personal item or carry-on that is fine. That CPAP case will no longer qualify as a medical item because of the non-medical items in the case.

Ordinarily a medical item could be carried on in addition to a carryon and a small personal item.

Thanks for making that clear

Now i have two options using the cpap bag and carrying separately and having between both of us, one carry on each

something to consider

of course if our check in holds what we want then we want to travel as lightly as possible

I have never been on an 8 day voyage before looks like wearing stuff multple times!

• 2 months later...
Again, put it in your suitcase. Give the suitcase to the porter. Don't tot it around.

I've seen the way porters toss bags around and there is no way I would trust them with an expensive medical device. My CPAP was damaged at the start of a trip a couple years ago. Not only did I have to pay to replace it when I got back, but if the hotel hadn't been full, my SO would have paid for a second room to he could get some sleep. :eek:

I've seen the way porters toss bags around and there is no way I would trust them with an expensive medical device.

Pros: I don't have to carry an extra 3-5 pounds.

Cons: My machine could get lost or damaged and I die in the middle of my sleep.

Yeah, I'll stick to carrying it too.