Dining with an officer

Gregor4500

Dining with an officer is something I never really cared to do in the past. However, this past week I was convinced to put my name in. My wife and I along with her sister and husband ate with the Staff Captain. It was just the 5 of us and it was a very enjoyable evening.

A couple of tips, If you see the HD at the meet and greet mention how you hope your name gets drawn. Not a sure thing of course, but you never know. And if everyone starts doing it . . .

Tip number 2, you might want to order what your officer orders. He had a Strip larger and nicer looking than the Cagneys 10oz.

Dining with an officer is something I never really cared to do in the past. However, this past week I was convinced to put my name in. My wife and I along with her sister and husband ate with the Staff Captain. It was just the 5 of us and it was a very enjoyable evening.

A couple of tips, If you see the HD at the meet and greet mention how you hope your name gets drawn. Not a sure thing of course, but you never know. And if everyone starts doing it . . .

Tip number 2, you might want to order what your officer orders. He had a Strip larger and nicer looking than the Cagneys 10oz.

What ship were you on? I love signing up for the Officer's Dinner. I sign up with at the Guest Services Desk as soon as I board. It is always a wonderful experience.

Last year on Epic TA we put our names down ... we got selected to dine with Security Officer (from UK - we are Brits too) it was quite an enjoyable evening except for one thing - 2 other British couples also dined with him (and us) and they kept on complaining about the ship Epic (they had been on other ships and lines). Jeez!! At the end of dinner when farewells were said the SO touched DH's arm motioning him to stay. When the other people were gone he asked for our cabin # - he wanted to invite us to the Bridge. I gave him a mini calendar of Bermuda as a gift.

This year we got on Epic in Rome (for the TA) and that evening we went to Garden Cafe for buffet dinner and there he was - he recognized us (from Bermuda) and was delighted to see us back on Epic again. He said we need to get together again so we put our names down and specifially asked for that SO.

We got the invite again to dine with him and the Safety Officer (another Brit). there were 12 of us and it was a great evening - 3 hours (one hour longer than last year) - I'm sure the SO and SaO had a great time with us all - there was a man who lived in Bermuda when he was a child, and the SaO now lives in Canada close to where our son is at Univ and has a sister-in-law living in Bermuda, and several others have been to Bermuda. We all 12 chatted up a storm.

One very funny thing: last year's menu (in Manhattan) had Roast Lamb and fried Duck. I had the lamb and it was superb. The others had the duck and it was okay (not as good as Le Bistro).

This year's menu (in Taste) was exactly the same (!!), so I ordered the lamb again and the SO said he'd have the same!!

Tip: when dining with officers, DO NOT complain about the ship!! They prolly have heard all the complaints many times already and do not need to hear another ...

Edited by bluesea777

Tip: when dining with officers, DO NOT complain about the ship!! They prolly have heard all the complaints many times already and do not need to hear another ...

Plus that's just bad manners. They are your host. I guess their mother never told them "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all".

Plus that's just bad manners. They are your host. I guess their mother never told them "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all".

I can hear my mother's voice saying that. I still hear it after all these years!!!

We will be on the Jewel May 26th in a suite. Who would I ask to arrange a dinner with an officer? Thanks.

Check with the Guest Services Desk, and ask if there will be an Officers Dinner during your cruise. Then ask to be put on the list. If you are selected, you will be notified of the date, place, time, a meeting place and which officer. It is usually an very nice evening. Enjoy!!

Was the staff captain Richard. We ate with him last year, he was very friendly and interesting and even made nice with my 2 year old son.

Was on the sailing with Gregor4500....I also had dinner with an officer (in my case the F&B Director)....I had a great time...good meal and some very nice dinner conversation...:)

Edited by jaja

I always put our name on the list but have never been selected. :( Guess we will just have to keep trying.

Like I mentioned, if the opportunity arises at the M&G let the HD know your are hoping your name gets drawn. It might increase your odds.

We sailed on the Jewel 1ST week of Nov. in a OV cabin deck four and we received a invitation to dine with a staff officer. We never asked anyone for this opportunity so I called and respectfully declined the invitation.

So I assume some other couple got the opportunity to dine with the officer and I hope they had a delightful evening.

We have dined with the captain and officers on a few Celebrity and HAL ships. Did not know this was an option on NCL... will check it out on the Jade.. we are doing an itinerary we have done many times before in the Mediterranean... so dining with an officer would be fun.

By the way what is the dress code for dinners with an officer? On other ships it generally is "formal".

On the recent Jewel... it was cruise casual -though I dressed up a bit..as I felt it was appropriate to do so...

Edited by jaja