Cash, how much to bring? What currency?

tupperny

I understand that this is personal preference, but I am curious as to how much cash do people typically bring on river cruises?

We are doing a 2 week. I am thinking $400 US and taking out local currency as needed.

Thoughts?

Bill

answers might vary depending on where you are going and your specific plans

on our last river from Budapest to Nuremberg we had 2 days in Budapest pre cruise ... and were doing another week in Germany after .....

I got $200 Euro b4 we left so I had 'something in my pocket' on arrival

On arrival in Budapest I hit an ATM and got a couple hundred US in Forint as I'd read the EURO was not accepted .... wrong .... EURO was accepted everywhere I went. But I digress ... I used ATM's with no worries and got local currency as needed .... and used my credit cards without worry as well.

But as I said ... if not going to Europe this answer may not apply at all ....

I understand that this is personal preference, but I am curious as to how much cash do people typically bring on river cruises?

We are doing a 2 week. I am thinking $400 US and taking out local currency as needed.

Thoughts?

Bill

I am not sure what you expect to do with the U S dollars. Since it looks like you are on a Grand European itinerary the main currency you will need is Euros. The only part of the cruise that is outside of the euro zone is Budapest and if you are doing a Prague extension. I would get euros to begin in Amsterdam and use them for small purchases along the route. For anything large a no fee CC would be best. As to Budapest I think euros may work at most tourist attractions but I would plan to get some Florints depending on your plans and length of stay. 300-400 euros should be enough and thus a single ATM visit ought to do the trick.

Bill, do you shop a lot ? Enjoy sitting in a cafe? Plan on eating at expensive restaurants instead of on board? All sorts of things to consider before coming up with a € amount.

In Hungary it is true, a lot of places do accept the euro, but many times the exchange rate is very much in the merchant's favour instead of using forints, the local currency.

Are you travelling with a company that includes the gratuities or will you have to have money for drivers and guides every day ? And does your cruise company want cash or will accept credit cards for the on board gratuities...if not already included.

Your US $ are of no use in Europe.

RB

As mentioned, there's no reason to bring US $ unless you plan to use them at the US airports. Bring an ATM card and get maybe a few hundred in Euros if you think you'll use them. It all depends on the cruise line -- will you need tipping money? buying things in markets (instead of stores)? drinking at bars in port instead of on the ship? We've rarely spent that much in cash... more like $200 (but in euros).

Is there a spell check thing that changes forints into florints? I've seen this on several threads.

Ah spell check can be such a pain. Hope the ATM gives me forints. I outsmarted the computer this time.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Ah spell check can be such a pain. Hope the ATM gives me forints. I outsmarted the computer this time.

But if you ever find yourself in medieval Italy, Florins would come in handy!

You might want to look into a credit card with no international exchange fees. You can charge almost everything including cab rides. What you do need is some small Euros because they charge to use the restrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another vote for a credit card which doesn't charge conversion fee. Just got my last statement, some of my charges converted to under $5.00. AAA visa, which is free, Chase United, Costco visa and brokerage account cards come to mind.

We seem to need less and less cash each trip, Credit cards are accepted for almost everything. We start off leaving home with around 200€ and then go to an ATM if/when we need to replenish during the trip. Then we leave Europe with around the same amount we started with and put it away until our next trip.

We never got information from the OP as to where he is cruising. The Netherlands for one isn't big on credit cards, and you will find that there are quite a few places where they can't be used. Other places in Europe are different. I too use a card with no foreign transaction fee, but I probably use cash more often in Europe than I do at home. I don't know whether it makes a difference that I take public transportation as much as possible. (Cabs make even less sense when you are single.)

Just returned from a Prague to Budapest trip with stops along the way. No need for American cash. Take your debit card and hit the ATMs as necessary. They're pretty much everywhere. Also, a Visa or Mastercard is good but no one accepts AmExp. Finally, be sure to have some small change available for restrooms in some cities. Used Euros everywhere except Hungary.

Just returned from a Prague to Budapest trip with stops along the way. No need for American cash. Take your debit card and hit the ATMs as necessary. They're pretty much everywhere. Also, a Visa or Mastercard is good but no one accepts AmExp. Finally, be sure to have some small change available for restrooms in some cities. Used Euros everywhere except Hungary.

which cruise line did you go on? We are doing Uniworld Budapest to Prague. Would love to hear about your trip. Recommendations etc.

We did Prague to Budapest so as to spend extra time in Budapest (my family is from there). We cruised Avalon -- first river cruise -- and enjoyed it. The included tours were good with knowledgeable guides. We didn't do any of the optional tours but opted to do a lot of walking around, discovering things on our own. (Also walking off the many meals we ate.) We met many interesting people from all over the world on board the ship which greatly added to our enjoyment of the trip.

Prague is beautiful but Budapest is unbelievable. I'm biased. :D

Here's a tip for Prague: Be sure to carry small change for using the bathrooms. We used Euros everywhere but Budapest where we used Forints, their national currency.

Enjoy your trip!

We just got back from a river cruise on the Seine with AmaWaterways. Didn't use US currency at all. We used a credit card for a lot of purchases. Just make sure your card a has a "chip" as that was the only kind they would take. Unfortunately, mine had a foreign transaction fee of 3%, but it only added up to about $15 total. We didn't spend a lot.

We stopped at ATMs and got the Euros we needed for restrooms and tips for tour guides and bus drivers. Also used them for small purchases as some merchants had a 10 Euro minimum for credit cards.

We used a credit card to buy tickets for the Metro in Paris at a kiosk.

AMA also recommended we pay our gratuities in cash, but we used our credit card on the ship for that.

There weren't many tips otherwise. The drivers for our transfers to/from the airport and hotels and room service in the hotels did not expect a tip, or at least they didn't stand around as if waiting for one.

To quote our recent trip program director,"in Eastern Europe a decal on the door means they have a machine. It doesn't mean the machine works." He was correct.

In my travels in Eastern Europe, when dollars or euros are accepted, the exchange rate was rotten. But it's of little consequence for a toilet stop or a drink.

We use ATMs for cash. I take enough dollars for crew tips and PD tips as GCT doesn't take credit cards for these. Often we use leftover local currency for these.

Thank you all for the great advice.

We are going to Prague (pre-cruise) and then Budapest to Amsterdam (coming directly back to the states the same day).

Countries that we are visiting: Czech republic, Hungary, Austria, Germany and Netherlands.

It sounds as if ATM and fee-free credit card will work.

For the restrooms--coins or bills?

Thanks

Bill

recently in Budapest and used credit card to buy public transport pass from a machine outside the train station. mainly used trams over the 5 days.

no need for cash. fabulous city.

Some restaurants I have been checking out are cash only, so anyone going to Budapest ought to at least be prepared for that possibility. You can avoid them but it would be embarrassing to find out at the end of the meal.

• 2 months later...
Another vote for a credit card which doesn't charge conversion fee. Just got my last statement, some of my charges converted to under $5.00. AAA visa, which is free, Chase United, Costco visa and brokerage account cards come to mind.

Strange. I looked online for info on my AAA visa and it either didn't mention no transaction fee or stated it did. My Costco visa did mention foreign transaction fees, but it has great trip interruption/cancellation benefits. My travel agent told me about the Amazon Visa having no foreign transaction fees, so I got that one and the bonus they were offering which paid for some travel accessories.

Beware! Just left Amsterdam and London. Some of the restaurants have joined the kiosks and have signs saying " credit cards with chip and PINS Only"! No more chip and signature and don't consider an old fashion tape reader. Since almost none of the US cards are true chip and PIN, cash will be the only method of payment allowed. Ask if they will specifically accept the kind of card you have! I learned this the hard way as I had to leave my wife at the restaurant and walk three blocks to an ATM to get cash to pay the bill for dinner.