FYI for those who use a CPAP

We're booked in a B6 Large Balcony Room on Breakaway. I called their Special Assistance desk yesterday to see if DH needs to bring his own distilled water and extension cord. They noted our reservation and room #s and said the distilled water will be waiting in our cabin, but that we should bring a 4- or 6-foot extension cord with us. Also said if the bed/table arrangement dosn't work for his CPAP that our cabin steward will be happy do any rearranging. Thought this info might help someone else too.

From 10 year CPAP user, with LOTS of travel.

I always carry a cord. Never know when you might spend a night in a hotel. Also, many cpaps come with a long cord anyways. Mine is 10 ft long. I often run it under the bed to an outlet.

When we embarked on our RTW trip last year and went with carryon only, I tried sleeping at home without the humifier part. Guess what - I sleep just fine and do not use it anymore.

As to water - the distilled is not really required. It just means less mineral deposits on your device. You can live fine with it.

Device - check or carryon? We have done most over the years,but now that we are always carryon, it is in my rollaboard. No longer use the carry case either. Packs around my clothes just fine.

We're booked in a B6 Large Balcony Room on Breakaway. I called their Special Assistance desk yesterday to see if DH needs to bring his own distilled water and extension cord. They noted our reservation and room #s and said the distilled water will be waiting in our cabin, but that we should bring a 4- or 6-foot extension cord with us. Also said if the bed/table arrangement dosn't work for his CPAP that our cabin steward will be happy do any rearranging. Thought this info might help someone else too.

You will need a 10'-12' extension cord. 6' will be too short (unless you sleep backward on the bed). We sail a lot on NCL and always pack a 6' and 12' cord for any configuration of room.

As to water - the distilled is not really required. It just means less mineral deposits on your device. You can live fine with it.

Device - check or carryon? We have done most over the years,but now that we are always carryon, it is in my rollaboard. No longer use the carry case either. Packs around my clothes just fine.

Two things:

1. If you DO find yourself getting mineral deposits, soak it in diluted vinegar (vinegar added to water) for a couple of hours, then rinse well. Takes the deposits off.

2. I also travel A LOT, and was told at one airport that I should remove my machine without being asked, as the reservoir COULD have liquids in it. But as a medical device, it's ALWAYS carry-on, they cannot force you to put a medical device in checked luggage. So I put it in a duffel bag, along with my DSLR camera & lenses, and then save my regular carry-on for shoes (and clothes).

Stephen

We were recently on the Jewel and my husband (who uses an APAP, very similar device) was provided with a gallon of distilled water by the cabin steward who had been informed in advance by Special Assistance. My husband carries a 9-ft extension cord whenever he travels, because frequently in hotel rooms and AirBnBs the near-bed outlets are pre-populated with lamp plugs, or so far behind the headboard they are unreachable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I both cruise with our CPAP machines. We have a 2 in 1 10 ft extension cord attached to a regular extention, and run it under the bed and into the oulet. We bring duct tape and lightly tape it to the carpet so we don't trip at night. We do unplug it during the day and tuck it under the bed. Have had no problems with that system.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Forums mobile app

...We bring duct tape and lightly tape it to the carpet so we don't trip at night. ...

By the way, for those folks that check luggage (most people), you already have some duct tape like alternative. Those baggage tags have quite a bit more sticky that is not used. Pull it off you bag and put it to use.

We have used it for many things. On one cruise, we put it over the ceiling speaker because theu made too may announcements. That is not much of an issue anymore.

I travel widely and put my CPAP and 15' extension cord (always) in my carry-on. In many cases the extension cord get used. It is always used on cruises as the power outlets are always so far from the bed.

Check with your doctor to see if you really need the humidifier part of the CPAP on cruises because the humidity go up at sea.

As I live in place where humidity is so high my CPAP doesn't have humidifier part or need distilled water.

Great information, thanks everyone. We'll definitely bring an extension cord that's longer than the one NCL recommended.

Keep in mind that the cord on your CPAP may already be quite long. No idea of your model. In most cases, mine will reach across the room. So, even a 4-6 ft is fine. And you do not need a heavy one since the CPAP does not draw much power.

By the way, for those folks that check luggage (most people), you already have some duct tape like alternative. Those baggage tags have quite a bit more sticky that is not used. Pull it off you bag and put it to use.

We have used it for many things. On one cruise, we put it over the ceiling speaker because theu made too may announcements. That is not much of an issue anymore.

What a great idea! I will remember this.

First time on cruise. Can CPAP, in case, be checked at embarkation to be taken to room or will we need to, or should we, keep it with us til we can get to room? I guess I'm asking, what are the chances it won't be in room when DH needs it to sleep the first night?

Thanks

NCL Pearl in August.

My typical day involves carrying it on with my carryon bag, then getting lunch. Around the time lunch is over ~1:30 the room should be open, I drop off the bags, hit the bar and the pools and all cares in the world drain away. Hopefully you will not have have to lug it around long.

First time on cruise. Can CPAP, in case, be checked at embarkation to be taken to room or will we need to, or should we, keep it with us til we can get to room? I guess I'm asking, what are the chances it won't be in room when DH needs it to sleep the first night?

Thanks

NCL Pearl in August.

Chances are 98% all bags will be in your by bedtime. (percentage is my WAG).

Personally, I carry mine in our roll aboard carryon. We roll that to lunch and by then we can go to the room. Yea, they have a place to check it, but it is so easy to just drag it with me. Bag also has ipads, change of clothes and important meds. Actually - on last two cruises, we each had just one carry on - TOTAL. Expect to the same on next cruise. Hopefully you saw my earlier post about dropping the humidifier part of cpap.

Thanks for answer, I was hoping not to have to carry, hubby plans on swimming so I'll be doing the toting and keeping track.

Usually you board, and there will be a lounge or designated room where they'll check your carry-on bag. Then you can both swim and pick up your carry-on when the rooms are ready.

Stephen

Usually you board, and there will be a lounge or designated room where they'll check your carry-on bag. Then you can both swim and pick up your carry-on when the rooms are ready.

Stephen

Is this something for Haven guests only? Been on the Escape twice and I never saw a place to temporarily check your carry-on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app