TA On Board Credit on Viking

Rami077

Our TA stated that they can only give us on board credit as an incentive now on Viking. I thought that Viking won't let you use the on board credit toward tips. Is the unused on board credit refundable to us at the end of the cruise if we don't use it? I find that we don't spend as much on river cruises. Does Viking simply keep our credit?

Interesting as this month my TA reimbursed me by an alternate method on my return from my cruise. Hard to spend to much on board unless you do a lot of drinking or purchase alternate tours while on board.

I know that certain ocean cruise lines prohibit TAs from discounting cruise fares -- but it's hard to see how they could prohibit rebates that are sent after the cruise is over. I would much rather have cash in my hand slightly later than OBC that I may or may not be able to use at all.

Our TA stated that they can only give us on board credit as an incentive now on Viking. I thought that Viking won't let you use the on board credit toward tips. Is the unused on board credit refundable to us at the end of the cruise if we don't use it? I find that we don't spend as much on river cruises. Does Viking simply keep our credit?

I've never had a problem spending my OBC with Viking.

Gratuities are normally given in cash at the end of the cruise.

What was useful on my last Viking Cruise, earlier this year, full review here...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/05/12/viking-eir-rhine-getaway-april-2017/

33935029912_8f0e9ac01d_z.jpg

...was that we were allowed to use the OBC as part of our 'Future Cruise Deposit'...

34204519890_74a53287e3_z.jpg

Now that's what I call a win-win situation.

Spend it or lose it, and no, it can't be used towards tips.

... but... given there are optional excursions, laundry and a bar bill to consider, OBC isn't usually that hard to use up.

On the other-hand, if you don't drink, aren't interested in the optional trips and don't use the laundry then yes, you will have little to spend it on.

If you really can't use it then I'd push back with your TA and ask about post cruise incentives if they can't refund upfront, but this would have to be agreed upfront, once the OBC is on your Viking account it is probably too late and certainly there is no route to get unused credit refunded later.

Keep in mind that your TA has good reasons to prefer OBC to a refund as $200 of OBC does not necessarily cost the TA $200...