Uniworld vs. AMAwaterways Danube Christmas market cruise

claypot77

For the last year and a half I was definite I wanted to go on UniWorld's Danube Christmas Market Cruise in Dec. 2018, but I recently started looking at AMAwaterways as they seem to be a bit better priced for the solo traveler. Has anyone gone on cruises for both companies? If so, besides the ship decor, what were the major differences? I'm having a hard time choosing btw them as both itineraries are similar... it may just come down to cost, but I wanted to see if y'all had any insight to help me decide. Thanks!

How much of a price difference are you talking about?

Have you compared the tours on both ships to see if they are exactly the same?

Other than that, I would think that besides ship decor, these cruises would be fairly well interchangeable.

What I liked about the SS Antoinette on Uniworld was the Country House decor, but I've been into interior design since I was 15 years old so I love the original art work and the furniture styles and fabrics Uniworld uses. The food was amazing as well. We had one of the smaller suites and I thought it was everything we could possibly want. Butler service was great, too.

However, I think AMAWaterways would be just as great but with modern decor.

I guess, what you have to ask yourself is which ship feels more Christmassy to you? I would not make price that big of a factor unless it is well over $500.

I can't help you with the comparison, since I've only been only Uniworld cruises at this point, but I do have to say that we so enjoyed our Christmas Markets cruise last year (Vienna - Nuremberg) that we've already booked another (Budapest - Passau) for 2018. We've loved everything about Uniworld so far (including their fabulously comfortable bedding!) so we've had no reason to look at switching. Also, you should check out the early booking promotion Uniworld has going right now for 2018 bookings. It resulted in considerable savings for us.

I'd do a side by side comparison of the two cruises you're considering, noting things that are of particular importance to you, including bottom line cost.

ETA: Which particular cruises are you looking at? Do they both embark/disembark at the same ports?

Edited by bubbulz

Thanks, SuiteTraveler and Bubbulz, for the feedback! :)

I really do like UniWorld's ports a bit better, but I keep going back to price. UniWorld, for a solo traveler, Class 3 room is going to be about $4500, since there is a single supplement. For a very similar itinerary on AMAwaterways, class BB (similar to Class 3, I think) the cost is only about $2400 as they are waiving the supplement. I do really prefer the character of UniWorld's ships, but not at $2,000 more. I had posted the question as I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some major difference that would make it worth the extra money, but it doesn't seem like there is. Until I can find a travel buddy, looks like UniWorld will have to wait for the next trip.

Uniworld just announced new solo traveller deals for 2018. Check whether your desired cruise is included.

Yeah, I was so excited when I got the email this afternoon, but after reading thru the list 3 times (just to make sure I didn't miss it), I had to accept the fact that they didn't include any of their Christmas Market Cruises in the deal.. :loudcry:

Yeah, I was so excited when I got the email this afternoon, but after reading thru the list 3 times (just to make sure I didn't miss it), I had to accept the fact that they didn't include any of their Christmas Market Cruises in the deal.. :loudcry:

Might not hurt to call them (and/or your travel agent) and check to be sure. In any event, for that big of a difference I'd probably go with AMA (although I know I would have a hard time convincing my husband to switch regardless of the price!)

We have taken 2 river cruises with Uniworld and 8 with AMA. Several have been on the Danube.

Our overall preference is AMA. For us, they consistently have had very good to outstanding cruise managers; warm and outgoing staff that makes us feel like family; very good to excellent food; an extensive range of included excursions; diverse and fun evening entertainment. We especially enjoy their theme cruises and their twin balcony staterooms.

We have been to the Christmas markets in Europe about a dozen times, half of those including a river cruise. It is our favorite time to be in Europe and we will be there again this year.

While we enjoy both lines, AMA suits our personalities and travel preferences better than Uniworld. We would sail again with Uniworld, but only on their SS class ships.

We would sail again with Uniworld, but only on their SS class ships.

This has been a concern of ours when choosing our cruises with Uniworld. We've only been on the Super Ships so far. At least we still have two more to try (and hopefully they'll be building more).

This has been a concern of ours when choosing our cruises with Uniworld. We've only been on the Super Ships so far. At least we still have two more to try (and hopefully they'll be building more).

We toured two, back before tightened security. River Princess and River Duchess. They are not for us.

Having sailed on two of the SS ships and just completed a trip on the River Countess a couple of weeks ago I doubt I will sail on anything other then the SS ships again. It's all a matter of comparison. If I had never sailed on an SS ship I think I would be more then happy to sail their smaller/older ships. But once you've experienced the SS ships its certainly a downgrade. I would NEVER sail on the older ships without being in a suite. But that's even a little unfair because I would only sail in a suite on the SS ships as well. It would have to be a really unique bucket list itinerary for me to sail the older ships again and thus far I don't see anything that rises to that level.

Having sailed on two of the SS ships and just completed a trip on the River Countess a couple of weeks ago I doubt I will sail on anything other then the SS ships again. It's all a matter of comparison. If I had never sailed on an SS ship I think I would be more then happy to sail their smaller/older ships. But once you've experienced the SS ships its certainly a downgrade. I would NEVER sail on the older ships without being in a suite. But that's even a little unfair because I would only sail in a suite on the SS ships as well. It would have to be a really unique bucket list itinerary for me to sail the older ships again and thus far I don't see anything that rises to that level.

Yep, it's tough once you've been spoiled! ;) We'd have a tough time with anything less than a suite after booking our first one last year. Kind of like going back to coach once you've experienced international business and first class.

We toured two, back before tightened security. River Princess and River Duchess. They are not for us.

What did you not like about them? We are planning to do a Rhine or Rhine & Moselle cruise next year and are looking at several cruise lines. Uniworld is offering free air and a 10% discount on their 2018 Rhine&Moselle cruise on the River Queen. The cabins look small and only rooms on the top deck have french balconies. We prefer the middle deck and love the french balconies, so I'm not sure it would be a good choice for us.

What did you not like about them? We are planning to do a Rhine or Rhine & Moselle cruise next year and are looking at several cruise lines. Uniworld is offering free air and a 10% discount on their 2018 Rhine&Moselle cruise on the River Queen. The cabins look small and only rooms on the top deck have french balconies. We prefer the middle deck and love the french balconies, so I'm not sure it would be a good choice for us.

IMO, the outdated and sometimes ugly decor was a real turnoff. Small cabins as compared to the other lines we travel, as well as compared to SS ships of Uniworld. Not at all my taste and too cramped and old world to appeal to our tastes.

I would recommend reading the reviews specifically for the River Queen and the cruise that you are considering. I think it's important that you understand that a lot of the comments some of us here are making are a bit biased - my own included. Although I have been fortunate to have cruised on the SS ships it has definitely spoiled me to some extent - it is hard to accept anything less.