Just booked Uniworld China Yangtze & Tibet - A few questions

acruisefan

So excited that we have booked this trip! I have a few questions for those who have been to China. We will visit Bejing, Xi'an, Lhasa, Chengdu, Yangtze River and Shanghai.

- What sites did you visit on your own which were not covered by the tour? We plan to arrive a day early in Bejing and leave Shanghai a day later.

- What restaurants did you visit on your own that you would recommend?

- Clothing recommendations? -we will bring good walking shoes - are sneakers ok? I usually bring a Clarks or Ecco shoes and sneakers. My DH usually brings Keens. How fancy for evenings - jacket for men? Fancier dress for women? Or is it pretty casual in the evening - on the Yangtze cruise and on land?

- Although I no longer bring home many souvenirs, is there any special item that you purchased while in China?

Thank you!

We arrived 3 days early and had full day active tours sight seeing. A can't miss, that the tour doesn't do, should be the summer palace. The Temples and the Park just northwest of the forbidden city are nice too. I really enjoyed Confucius Temple, a lot of interesting history and explanation. Just those will take up your day, even though I could add more!

There is a shopping mall next to the Ritz Carlton , in Beijing, with some good restaurants therein and a third the costs of those in the RC. Check out the mall, restaurants on lower level, and you'll be well satisfied. We did the extension to Guilin and Hong Kong so can't help you in Shanghai.

I took a sports coat and wore it a couple nights on the ship. Not necessary, maybe half wore one likewise. On tours, you'll be going into a lot of temples, NO shorts for men. Maybe in Xian and on the boat. Shorts can't be worn to dinner!

We brought home some jade articles and some lithographs. Others took advantage of some wonderful silk attire and bedding.

Both my wife and I wore Keens. Lots of walking, stair climbing, and obstacle crossing. Keens with those toe protection were great! Brought one pair of dress shoes for dinner. Only shoes needed.

Very active tour, you'll love it. If you're lucky you'll get Kevin as CD. He will tell you " this is not a vacation, it's an adventure "! You stay highly active and are ready for a little down time cruising the river by the time you get there. Enjoy!!!

We didn't tour with Uniword, but with a small company called ChinaFocus for 4 weeks. Dress was always casual everywhere. We wore long pants, sweaters, polo shirts, t- shirts and comfortable shoes, any brand that fits your feet best. We travelled in May and had continuously warmer weather. I started out with sneakers and medium weight pants and ended up with loose linen trousers and walking sandals from ecco. I bought silk scarves and a sun hat. Best buy: silk comforters and pillows in Shanghai.

Chinese women at age 55+ wore long pants and a flowery top in darker colors, basically an updated version of the Mao uniform that they had worn all their lives. I see a similar version in pastel colors in Florida on women of that age. Young girls wore an amazing variety of pastel and bright color mini- midi- and long dresses. I don't remember anyone wearing shorts at any time, maybe in summer. Most Chinese women do not like to expose their skin to sunburn. Pale is fashionable and large brim sunhats are popular.

We were there with Viking this May and got in 2 days early to Beijing. Booked the same hotel our Viking tour was using, reserved a private guide and saw everything that Viking would've missed in Beijing. Temple of Heaven; Panda House at the zoo; Lama Temple; Hutong tour; Summer Palace and a trip to the Great Wall of Mutianyu. Our guide and her driver were fabulous. For the advance day you're in Beijing, definitely consider her for some extra site visits, the personal insights and tips, and to recover from the flight before your official tour starts.

We were on a private tour with various guides. Clothing will depend when you go. We traveled in June and it was hot. We wore knee length shorts most days (and so were our guides). Wore sneakers everywhere. We did not go to Lhasa - but went to Juizi (4000 metres) and needed a light coat and long pants - lot cooler there mornings and evenings - but still only t-shirt during day. We usually like to change for dinner - long pants and better shirt - on our first day we went straight from touring to Bejing Duck dinner - (husband was concerned as was in shorts and sneakers). No need to worry - the Chinese gentlemen in the next room were all dining shirtless and perspiring.

Other things you may be interested in seeing - Bejing Olympic sites, Llama temple.

Chengdu - if your offered the Sichuan opera - we initially said no, but changed our mind - it is not opera - but has the face changing dance and other things and great t-pots.