2 questions from a first-timer

Sheltieluv

Good afternoon. I have 2 questions regarding our upcoming TA on the QM2, and I look forward to your advice.

#1: We booked late, and are assigned late seating for dinner. We don't like to eat that late, so we'll probably just eat dinner at the buffet every night. (Will eat lunch in the main dining room tho, so we can at least experience what looks to be a gorgeous venue). Upon boarding, should I go to the dining room and explain that we will not be dining there so our waiter and possible tablemates won't expect us? Not sure of the protocol here. I should add that on the 3 formal nights, we would have to eat at the buffet or order room service anyway, as we won't have the black tie formal wear. Out of respect for fellow passengers and crew, we would not venture out into the other areas of the ship. (We will, of course, be appropriately dressed, but in informal attire.)

#2: We are very interested in the planetarium shows. Is it possible to attend more than one presentation, or are you limited and are reservations needed? Tickets?

Thanks so much!

I suggest that when you board, go to the maitre'd in Britannia and ask if it's possible to switch to the early seating. It may be possible. If not, it would be a courtesy to let him know that you will probably not be joining your table mates. No problem eating in the buffet in casual clothes on formal nights. Seating in the planetarium requires a ticket, which you can get once you board. As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of times you can go. It's been a while since we enjoyed the planetarium, but I seem to recall that there is more than one planetarium show per crossing.

It would probably be a good idea to tell the Maitre D that you won't be using your table - you might be able to change sittings but it can be difficult depending on the passenger demographic.

For Planetarium shows, you collect tickets from the Connexions desk at 9am the same day. There is no limit to the number you attend as long as tickets are available.

we would have to eat at the buffet or order room service anyway, as we won't have the black tie formal wear. Out of respect for fellow passengers and crew, we would not venture out into the other areas of the ship. (We will, of course, be appropriately dressed, but in informal attire.)

!

Men only require a dark suit. Even if you don't own one, there are many places that will sell you one "off the peg" for under $100. That would be like each paying an extra $16 per formal night and once you do it, will undoubtedly enjoy the atmosphere.

Ladies only require smart outfits.

Remember, the dress code applies around the whole ship after 6:00pm, so you would otherwise end up feeling really out of it.

Go on, splash out and have fun!

Stewart

Just to confirm planetarium tickets are free but are needed to control numbers. If you do pick up a ticket but then decide you can't make the show please return it so others can.

They tend to do the same show two or three times in the same day, but a different show each day. Not sure how many shows they have.

I know you are on a TA but for general information shows tend to only be on sea days.

As has been said it's worth asking to change your meal time, they can only say no.

• 4 weeks later...

Heya!

I recently wrote a blog post about things I wish I knew before cruising with Cunard. (Like dress code is everywhere after 6pm and there's no fee to bring on alcohol :D). As this is your first cruise with them it might be worth checking it out. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/05/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

Have a brilliant cruise!

Men only require a dark suit. Even if you don't own one, there are many places that will sell you one "off the peg" for under $100. That would be like each paying an extra $16 per formal night and once you do it, will undoubtedly enjoy the atmosphere.

Ladies only require smart outfits.

Remember, the dress code applies around the whole ship after 6:00pm, so you would otherwise end up feeling really out of it.

Go on, splash out and have fun!

Stewart

The OP has already stated that they respect the dress code but would prefer to dine in the buffet than dress for formal nights. I just wish more passengers who felt that way would follow their example rather than play games to see how far they can lower the bar.

Go to the dining room, first thing after boarding, and it's not impossible for you to be switched the first night. But, also ask, again, in a day or so. We have crossed with passengers assigned to our table, who never showed up the entire crossing. We have talked to folks who were reassigned to a different seating along the way (because they asked more than once and because there was someone else asking for a change). Dining room staff does try to be helpful.

One of the reasons DH and I tend to book early is be assigned to the seating we prefer. I can't remember if you will be traveling east or west, but it's not a bad thing to have late dinner when going east (because of all the time changes, you actually eat earlier and earlier).

You get the planetarium tickets at the desk outside of the Connextions (Internet area). I think this is 2 forward. Come in the morning for the tickets.

(Oops! I see that Hattie already mentioned where you get the tickets…)

Edited by jimmybean

Re: switching to early seating - as others have mentioned, it's not uncommon for no early seating tables to be initially available. I believe you may place your name on a waiting list. At that time, you should notify the maitre d' that you will not be using your table at second sitting. Assuming that you are not able to be accommodated immediately, I'd recommend showing up on the second afternoon to check back. (And then perhaps 20 minutes after they open the doors on the 2nd or 3rd nights)

Planetarium shows. If you don't get tickets initially, I highly recommend that you show up beforehand to the show you want to attend and tell the staff at the door that you'd like to see it if seats are free. (They always are). You'll likely need to step aside and after the crowd has entered, you can usually find more than enough seats. (People grab tickets and don't show. ALSO - I occasionally grab tickets for travelling companions. If they back out, I quickly return the tickets to the pick-up board. You should do so as well.)

Edited by MarkBearSF

We were pleasantly suprised at the quality and selection of food at the KIngs Court for dinner. I would recommend it. Actually I was suprised to see list of fancy folks eating there also! You won't be disappointed.

I wouldn't give up the option of eating in the MDR at all, even if you dont get switched. You never know. You might want to go one night. We had table mates that did alternate dining or did not do formal nights, so we often had empty chairs. You don't need to feel bad.

In the grills, we all ate at different times, so the chairs where rarely all filled at the same time. Some nights, table mates ate in their cabins and what not,

Formal is not like downtown abbey. Just dark, dignified and respectful. You don't need to lock yourselves away in shame. Of course, be respectful of others and the dress code.

Some of the elderly people we ate with were dressed for the nursing home with rubber trainers so as not to fall. The Mennonites wore their prairie attire.

BTW! It is possible to rent formal wear on board. Our table mates finally decided to join us for a formal night, after much encouragement The men rented tuxes, and the lady wore basically the same dark, simple outfit she usually did, just with better hair, makeup and some sparkle.

You do NOT need BLACK TIE formalware. Yes, I chose to wear four ball gowns , because we were doing back to back crossings, but it is not a requirement. Yes, Cunarders enjoy the fun in dressing up, but not everyone needs to go to that extent. Men do not all wear tuxes.

You can wear the same outfit for each of the formal nights. No one will mind.

My daughter got so intimidated reading this board she almost didnt want to sail. She ended up taking two outfits for regular nights, and two dresses for formal nights and rotated them over the sixteen nights.

Once we were onboard and going to dinner, we were in the top tier of formality, as it turned out. Most people who take the time to habituate the CC boards are big fans and enthusiasts. They are very generous with their time and you will learn a lot. I found them to be kind and helpful.

The only qualification I will make is that the dress code threads draw out some comments that can be intimidating to a new comer to Cunard. Frankly, with per diems as low as $100 pp per night or has high as twenty times that, all sorts of people sail.

All on the same ship (albeit and fairly enough, not in the same dining room).

Heya!

I recently wrote a blog post about things I wish I knew before cruising with Cunard. (Like dress code is everywhere after 6pm and there's no fee to bring on alcohol :D). As this is your first cruise with them it might be worth checking it out. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/05/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

Have a brilliant cruise!

Useful blog. Old news for us veterans, but great for newbies.

We were pleasantly suprised at the quality and selection of food at the KIngs Court for dinner. I would recommend it. Actually I was suprised to see list of fancy folks eating there also! You won't be disappointed.

I wouldn't give up the option of eating in the MDR at all, even if you dont get switched. You never know. You might want to go one night. We had table mates that did alternate dining or did not do formal nights, so we often had empty chairs. You don't need to feel bad.

In the grills, we all ate at different times, so the chairs where rarely all filled at the same time. Some nights, table mates ate in their cabins and what not,

Formal is not like downtown abbey. Just dark, dignified and respectful. You don't need to lock yourselves away in shame. Of course, be respectful of others and the dress code.

Some of the elderly people we ate with were dressed for the nursing home with rubber trainers so as not to fall. The Mennonites wore their prairie attire.

BTW! It is possible to rent formal wear on board. Our table mates finally decided to join us for a formal night, after much encouragement The men rented tuxes, and the lady wore basically the same dark, simple outfit she usually did, just with better hair, makeup and some sparkle.

You do NOT need BLACK TIE formalware. Yes, I chose to wear four ball gowns , because we were doing back to back crossings, but it is not a requirement. Yes, Cunarders enjoy the fun in dressing up, but not everyone needs to go to that extent. Men do not all wear tuxes.

You can wear the same outfit for each of the formal nights. No one will mind.

My daughter got so intimidated reading this board she almost didnt want to sail. She ended up taking two outfits for regular nights, and two dresses for formal nights and rotated them over the sixteen nights.

Once we were onboard and going to dinner, we were in the top tier of formality, as it turned out. Most people who take the time to habituate the CC boards are big fans and enthusiasts. They are very generous with their time and you will learn a lot. I found them to be kind and helpful.

The only qualification I will make is that the dress code threads draw out some comments that can be intimidating to a new comer to Cunard. Frankly, with per diems as low as $100 pp per night or has high as twenty times that, all sorts of people sail.

All on the same ship (albeit and fairly enough, not in the same dining room).

Very good and useful observations. Thanks.

Good afternoon. I have 2 questions regarding our upcoming TA on the QM2, and I look forward to your advice.

#1: We booked late, and are assigned late seating for dinner. We don't like to eat that late, so we'll probably just eat dinner at the buffet every night. (Will eat lunch in the main dining room tho, so we can at least experience what looks to be a gorgeous venue). Upon boarding, should I go to the dining room and explain that we will not be dining there so our waiter and possible tablemates won't expect us? Not sure of the protocol here. I should add that on the 3 formal nights, we would have to eat at the buffet or order room service anyway, as we won't have the black tie formal wear. Out of respect for fellow passengers and crew, we would not venture out into the other areas of the ship. (We will, of course, be appropriately dressed, but in informal attire.)

#2: We are very interested in the planetarium shows. Is it possible to attend more than one presentation, or are you limited and are reservations needed? Tickets?

Thanks so much!

I was like you and was assigned late sitting on my first Cunard cruise. I don't usually eat that late at home but on cruises I actually now prefer the late sitting. You just adjust all your meals. Have breakfast slightly later, lunch slightly later and you can enjoy afternoon tea which you couldn't really enjoy if you are eating early sitting. I like being busy doing the activities during the day so I can go back to my cabin get ready leisurely and then pop along to one of the bars for a pre dinner cocktail.

I know you are on a Transatlantic so obviously not port intensive like some of the cruises I have done and then it is nice to have late sitting. I did a transatlantic in July this year on QM2 and had late sitting and loved it. Do think about as missing out on MDR would be such a shame. It is part of the cruising experience.

Regards

Pat

Useful blog. Old news for us veterans, but great for newbies.

Thank you!! I'm sure there is nothing that you veterans don't know haha :) Just wrote it really for the newbies, it can be hard to read through all the information online so thought I would just write the bits that were important to me.

Forgot to mention that I talked with my travel agent yesterday, and there are still over 100 people ahead of us wait listed for early dinner seating. I will still go to the dining room and request to change to early seating. Can't hurt to try, and if we can't switch, it's no big deal. We'll enjoy the buffet and maybe try room service!:)

Will be first time on Cunard for 10 years when do crossing in January. Have been on other cruises in meantime. Re taking own alcohol/wine on board, very interested in your comment, as Cunard website says restricted to one bottle wine each for special celebration. Is the policy written down anywhere or is it one of those things that only regulars know (like the free caviar on request on Seabourn that you don't find out about until your third trip!!)

Be very interested to learn of others' experiences.

Oo! I'm not sure.

I just went to the guest services desk and asked if there was a charge to bring onboard alcohol, they said no as long as it's for personal use. So as long as you don't go crazy I'm sure you'll be fine to bring on whatever you want :)

Will be first time on Cunard for 10 years when do crossing in January. Have been on other cruises in meantime. Re taking own alcohol/wine on board, very interested in your comment, as Cunard website says restricted to one bottle wine each for special celebration. Is the policy written down anywhere or is it one of those things that only regulars know (like the free caviar on request on Seabourn that you don't find out about until your third trip!!)

Be very interested to learn of others' experiences.

In the Cunard FAQ there's a statement that they reserve the right to confiscate alcohol but that they don't do it as a matter of course.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/before-you-sail/alcohol

This, along with countless reports here of people carrying on "reasonable quantities" (up to a case or more) of wine or other alcohol at embarkation or in a port of call openly and without interference from the people manning the scanners.

• 2 weeks later...
Forgot to mention that I talked with my travel agent yesterday, and there are still over 100 people ahead of us wait listed for early dinner seating. I will still go to the dining room and request to change to early seating. Can't hurt to try, and if we can't switch, it's no big deal. We'll enjoy the buffet and maybe try room service!:)

We recently had asked for a table for two early seating on the QE (Early Saver booked in May). When we went to the restaurant to check out our table in the afternoon on embarkation day, we found we had been assigned a table for ten! - although at least it was the early seating we had requested. The maitre d' pointed out that there was a long waiting list for tables for two so we chose to eat in the Lido each evening. We still dressed according to the dress code each evening as did some others, while others didn't.

You have got to try room service!!!! It was without a doubt the best food on the ship. I did a Cunard food review here: https://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/27/cunard-food-review-including-the-fanciest-egg-on-toast-in-the-world/ it may be of interest if you fancy looking at pictures of lovely food!!

Shame about not being able to get early seating. :(

Enjoy your cruise. I'm super super jealous.

There are only two types of specialty dining with charges. As I recall, the charge for the Verandah is $30 per person for dinner, less for lunch. Most evenings there is a pop-up speciality restaurant in Kings Court with a different theme each evening (eg. pan-Asian, Indian, etc.), and there the charge is $15 per person. Other dining options are free.

As I recall, the charge for the Verandah is $30 per person for dinner, less for lunch.
People are reporting that the Veranda has gone up to $49, at least on some ships. The Personaliser shows $49 to book the Verandah on QM2 over Christmas.