Dining arrangements and other questions

crt8

I'm due to go on my second Cunard voyage soon. Last time I was in the Princess Grill. This time we will be Britannia, where I understand the dining arrangements are different. I've requested a table for two. If this isn't granted what is the likelihood of being able to change it? I really don't want to sit on a big table! We work hard and want some down time together. Also, do you sit at the same table for breakfast and dinner? I've trawled the forum but can't seem to find and answer and it is a very slow process too.

The other question I have is re collecting your luggage in Rome before embarkation. I assume my luggage will appear in my cabin once I've checked it in? Presumably I don't have to collect it from the airport and carry it to the transfer bus?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I have never requested a table for 2 for dinner in Britainnia but depending on when you booked you may be allocated one. If you aren't it's unlikely you will be able to change.

Other options are The Verandah or the alternative Lido restaurants.

Breakfast and lunch are open seating, you can ask for a table for 2 but there may be a bit of a wait at busy times.

You will need to collect your luggage from the carousel and give it to Cunard representatives at the airport. Details should be on your Voyage Personaliser.

Edited by Host Hattie

I'm due to go on my second Cunard voyage soon. Last time I was in the Princess Grill. This time we will be Britannia, where I understand the dining arrangements are different. I've requested a table for two. If this isn't granted what is the likelihood of being able to change it? I really don't want to sit on a big table! We work hard and want some down time together. Also, do you sit at the same table for breakfast and dinner? I've trawled the forum but can't seem to find and answer and it is a very slow process too.

The other question I have is re collecting your luggage in Rome before embarkation. I assume my luggage will appear in my cabin once I've checked it in? Presumably I don't have to collect it from the airport and carry it to the transfer bus?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

Can't be of help on the luggage but in the Britannia Dining Room, breakfast and lunch is open seating so you should have no problem getting a table for two although the staff prefers to fill up the larger tables as it makes service easier for them. Just ask. As for dinner you will be assigned both a time (early or late seating). Two's these days seem to be very popular (larger tables do allow one to expand their horizons of new acquaintances) so if you do not have a duce on you table assignment card arrival in your stateroom, do go the dining room at the time mentioned in the literature you will find in the room and put in your request. It may take an evening or two for things to shake out so be patient and in the interim you may meet some nice folks that you won't want to part with.

If this isn't granted what is the likelihood of being able to change it? I really don't want to sit on a big table!

Yes, the requests for deuces exceed the supply - especially at early sitting.

For late seating, you chances of getting a table for two are greater than early. However, whatever seating you've chosen, if you don't have a table for two, head down to the Britannia Dining Room at your first opportunity and talk to the Maitres d'

Edited by MarkBearSF

If you have booked your cruise on a Cunard full fare, you have a very good chance of the table for 2. With Early saver fare there may be a possibility, and as said, if on late sitting a better chance. Lastly, don't hold your breath if you have booked a Saver Fare: even a request to the Maitre d will almost certainly go unheeded. Those that pay more .............. It has all been said before.

Enjoy your cruise whatever; QV is a lovely ship.

I take issue with what fares are paid. I know over half a dozen Maitres d' on Cunard, they do not know, when you approach them at their station requesting a table change, what fares you've paid, nor do they care. They really, most of them, only care about making a passenger pleased with dining arrangements.

When you get to your cabin, take the table assignment card you will find there to Britannia dining and check the tables and see what your table number seats. It's ok to roam in the room, you could be up, down; ask for help if need be. If table is a two, you're in. If not, ask at the Maitre d' desk for a change. Be aware twos are popular, and limited. Good luck!

I take issue with what fares are paid. I know over half a dozen Maitres d' on Cunard, they do not know, when you approach them at their station requesting a table change, what fares you've paid

I think you've missed the point about the fare paid.

The point is, if you have paid the full fare then you are much more likely to get what you have requested. But if you pay the cheaper fare you may not get what you want.

It also seems you are more likely to get a table for 2 if you go for the late sitting.

Here's our record:

1st (QV): Full fare, requested 2 late sitting: Got that.

2nd (QM2): Late fare, requested 2 late sitting: Got 4 late sitting.

3rd (QV): Full fare, requested 4 (since we were going with the 2 people we sat with on the QM2): Got that

4th (QV): Late fare, requested 2 late sitting: Got that.

Sorry, I can't answer either of your questions but wanted to say: "Welcome to Britannia!"

It should be just fine. There are far worse things in life than not getting exact table preference. And, really, Cunard will try to place you as you request.

We have also requested a table-for-two for the first time on our next voyage. There can be good reasons for this request. In our case, health and hearing problems.

If our request doesn't work out, however, I know tablemates won't put a damper on enjoyment for DH and me.

I hope both your and our requests are honored. If not, I hope your voyage is still a great experience for you.

Please post your impressions of dining Britannia vs PG. We will be interested.

Jimmybean

We have always been allocated a table for 2 at the second seating on QM2 - and have booked a saver fare many times. I think that a couple of requests with the Maitre d' have been required - but as a saver fare, thats definitely the chance you take.

Its hubby's task to sort this out.....

We like a table for 2 as we don't see much of each other duing the day!!!