Aussie Cruiser first time on Disney

Lilfrog79

Hello,

We are cruising on the Fantasy on the 17 Sept 2016. I have cruised a few times before, but never on Disney and Never from Port Canaveral.

I have a few questions. Sorry if some have been answered throughout, I have been perusing the boards for a while and just want to clarify a few points.

Firstly Embarkation and Debarkation. I have checked in online and listed 11:30am as arrival time and booked a town car from Orlando to the Port for 10:30am. From what I can see the trip is about an hour? Is this a reasonable time to allow for the trip? And debarkation, I have done a self assisted debarkation on other lines, and just wondering if Disney have the same option. Also does anyone know on average how long it takes to get off the ship and clear through customs? I have booked a pickup for 8:15am and was thinking of getting off about 7:30am? Is this pushing it? I have a flight at 11:50am at MCO (Domestic flight) is that enough time to get to the airport safely (Thinking no later than 10:00am)?

Dinner? We have the late sitting? Is there any way to find out what nights you have what restaurant? I have booked Palo for one night but was just wondering how I would know what restaurant I would miss? Also how strict are they on the formal night? Coming from overseas we don't feel like lugging fancy clothes for one or two nights. Just thinking nice clothes but no formal??

Tipping for room service? Yes or no? Like with cash? Not sure about tipping, we don't tip in Australia, however I know it's a part of life in the US and am happy to do it? But never really sure when to do it or not? Even for the guys who take the bags from the car and put them onto a cart? Do we tip them? It seems so strange but don't want to insult any one.

Ok, that's it for now, sure I will have a few more to come. Any hints and tips to make this cruise the best ever are welcome.

Thanks

Hello,

We are cruising on the Fantasy on the 17 Sept 2016. I have cruised a few times before, but never on Disney and Never from Port Canaveral.

I have a few questions. Sorry if some have been answered throughout, I have been perusing the boards for a while and just want to clarify a few points.

Firstly Embarkation and Debarkation. I have checked in online and listed 11:30am as arrival time and booked a town car from Orlando to the Port for 10:30am. From what I can see the trip is about an hour? Is this a reasonable time to allow for the trip? And debarkation, I have done a self assisted debarkation on other lines, and just wondering if Disney have the same option. Also does anyone know on average how long it takes to get off the ship and clear through customs? I have booked a pickup for 8:15am and was thinking of getting off about 7:30am? Is this pushing it? I have a flight at 11:50am at MCO (Domestic flight) is that enough time to get to the airport safely (Thinking no later than 10:00am)?

I'd say more like an hour and 15 minutes. And yes, you can do self assisted disembarkation. I won't speak to the time issue, since you are an international guest and I have no experience there.

ETA: I was basing that on time from WDW to the port. For port to airport, an hour is more accurate.

Dinner? We have the late sitting? Is there any way to find out what nights you have what restaurant? I have booked Palo for one night but was just wondering how I would know what restaurant I would miss? Also how strict are they on the formal night? Coming from overseas we don't feel like lugging fancy clothes for one or two nights. Just thinking nice clothes but no formal??

You won't find out your dinner rotation until you check in. But with a 7-day, you will at least eat in any restaurant you miss one other night (possibly two). Disney has become more and more casual, so even formal night, you will see cruise casual dress. I wouldn't sweat it.

Tipping for room service? Yes or no? Like with cash? Not sure about tipping, we don't tip in Australia, however I know it's a part of life in the US and am happy to do it? But never really sure when to do it or not? Even for the guys who take the bags from the car and put them onto a cart? Do we tip them? It seems so strange but don't want to insult any one.

I don't touch tipping question. I can only speak for myself. We will usually tip $1 or $2 for room service.

Ok, that's it for now, sure I will have a few more to come. Any hints and tips to make this cruise the best ever are welcome.

Thanks

Edited by gometros

Hello,

Thanks

Yes, it's about an hour from Orlando to the port. Debarkation - DCL sort of has self assisted debarkation. But it's not limited to just being the first group off the ship (meaning early). You can handle your own bags off the ship, but be aware that you must be out of your room by 8:00 and off the ship (at the latest) by 9:00. Typically, if you're in the first group off (7:30ish), you'll most likely be through customs/immigration within 15-20 minutes. The later you debark the longer it takes.

As noted, you won't know for sure what rotation you have until you check in at the port. It will be printed on your KTTW card. If your Palo reservation conflicts with the dining room you are in that night, you can change your Palo reservation or your dining rotation once onboard by heading for the dining changes location (it'll be noted in your Navigator you get in the terminal where/when this is) and making your request.

Again, the "dress code" for the most part is suggested. Except for Palo - they do have specific dress code. In the Main Dining Rooms, you find all manner of dress from full on formal to tshirts and shorts on any night.

Most people do tip room service. Generally along the lines of $1 or $2 per item or $5 for a full meal (per person). It's a good idea to have a stash of small bills close to the door, however, as they can be quick in and out. Porter tips - generally $2-$5 a bag. Whatever works for you.

Typically, if you're in the first group off (7:30ish), you'll most likely be through customs/immigration within 15-20 minutes.

This is true for U.S. citizens but if the OP is traveling on an Australian passport I'm not so sure the procedures are the same. They have an entire pre-disembarkation session on board for non-U.S. passengers and I'm not sure what all is involved.

This is true for U.S. citizens but if the OP is traveling on an Australian passport I'm not so sure the procedures are the same. They have an entire pre-disembarkation session on board for non-U.S. passengers and I'm not sure what all is involved.

Good catch. Yes, that's my experience, as a US citizen. Can't speak as to how long/procedure for non-US.

Lilfrog79,

Also thought I would add in that a lot of town car transfers allow a quick stop to pick up any last minute items you might want to bring aboard, like wine or beer, (two 750ml bottles of wine, OR 6 12oz beers per person 21 and over when you embark and again at each port) so if you do want to make a stop, factor in 15 minutes for that on your trip down.

You can see past Navigators here that may give you an indication of what the menu would be that night if it is not the rotational menu.

Select Fantasy and then which itinerary you are on.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

You can call DCL and request a rotation that puts you in a certain MDR on a certain night, and they will try their best, but it is only a request.

ex techie

Thanks everyone. I will allow about an hour to get to the Port. We are staying near Universal Studios, I think give or take that we should get there at an okay time. It seems 11:30 will be pretty busy regardless?? Is traffic usually bad around the port or coming from Orlando?

And at least I know I can change my dinner if necessary. I did read somewhere that pirate night did have the poorest menu?? So I booked it on that night, but I wasn't sure which restaurant I'd be missing and how people would know that?

And I guess this leads me to the next question. Does each dining room have it's own set menu each night? Or are all the dining rooms on the same menu and you sit in a different restaurant? Sorry that's a little bit confusing.

Thanks again!:)

Actually I think it depends on the port maybe as the last 2 years when I've cruised (2014 & 2015 Transatlantics) we haven't had to go to immigration like you previously did. You exited the same way everyone else did and immigration was in the port itself. It meant you didn't have to get up early!

The old process you had to go to the theatre at a stupid hour (around 5am I think it was last time I did it) and present yourself to immigration. They then looked at your passport and checked you were you. This might however still happen in Port Canaveral as both last trips didn't end there.

The process takes awhile but they don't clear the ship until everyone has been through it that has a foreign passport so no one gets off until its all done. I think I remember it taking betwen 30 minutes and an hour or so to get through the people in front of me. The actual assessment is like 2 minutes (like when you go through immigration at the airport) so not very long at all.

Thanks everyone. I will allow about an hour to get to the Port. We are staying near Universal Studios, I think give or take that we should get there at an okay time. It seems 11:30 will be pretty busy regardless?? Is traffic usually bad around the port or coming from Orlando?

The port will be busy as its opening time really so its going to be. Traffic wise you can never really predict it.

And at least I know I can change my dinner if necessary. I did read somewhere that pirate night did have the poorest menu?? So I booked it on that night, but I wasn't sure which restaurant I'd be missing and how people would know that?

Pirate night menu is a little rubbish in my opinion but then they have the buffet upstairs after dinner so I always think they keep it fairly boring for people to eat at least a bit up there. The menu in the restaurants other than the specialty ones will be the same that night so you wont miss much apart from the menu. http://www.disneycruiselineblog.com will show you the menu for the pirate night. Personally I always pick this night as I would rather experience the other menus.

The only way you could semi-know what restaurant you were in that night is to request a dining rotation. However when you get onboard this may or may not have been done so you could still end up with a different rotation.

And I guess this leads me to the next question. Does each dining room have it's own set menu each night? Or are all the dining rooms on the same menu and you sit in a different restaurant? Sorry that's a little bit confusing.

Thanks again!:)

What you will have is the first time (usually) you are in each restuarant you will get the signature restaurant menu - so the 3 main restaurants will have their own menus. This means as you move between them you will get each of these menus once (while people in the other restaurants are experiencing theirs). On the other nights all 3 restaurants will have the same themed menus. So for example on Pirate night all restaurants have a pirate menu. Hopefully below makes more sense as I feel like my write up is confusing (using a 7 night as an example)

1st night -

• Animators - standard Animators menu
  • Resturant 2 - standard Resturant 2 menu
  • Restuarant 3 - standard Restaurant 3 menu

2nd night

3rd night

• Restaurant 2 - standard Restaurant 2 menu
  • Restaurant 3 - standard Restaurant 3 menu

4th night (Pirate night)

• All Restaurants - Pirate night

5th night

• All Restaurants - themed menu 1

6th night

• All Restaurants - themed menu 2

7th night

• All Restaurants - themed menu 3

Fingers crossed that makes a bit more sense! So if your rotation was R2/R3/Animators then you would have:

• Night 1 - standard Restaurant 2 menu
  • Night 2 - standard Restaurant 3 menu
  • Night 3 - standard Animators menu
  • Night 4 - Pirates menu
  • Night 5 - themed menu 1
  • Night 6 - themed menu 2
  • Night 7 - themed menu 3

Edited by gismo1554
spelling

Howdy fellow Aussie Cruiser. We are from Brisbane and when we sailed the Magic in 2014 we weren't in a hurry but it took about 45 mins through the immigration area of Port Canaveral. It then took another hour for the line up to get the car rental shuttle.

Getting on the ship I cannot comment as Pe arrived there at 11:30 am there was no line up at the check in counter and after we checked in we were whisked away as we got chosen to be family of the day. Which meant we got on the ship before anyone else except for the b2b people but we also had to stand up in the port and get introduced to the entire load of passengers. But all was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The port will be busy as its opening time really so its going to be. Traffic wise you can never really predict it.

Pirate night menu is a little rubbish in my opinion but then they have the buffet upstairs after dinner so I always think they keep it fairly boring for people to eat at least a bit up there. The menu in the restaurants other than the specialty ones will be the same that night so you wont miss much apart from the menu. http://www.disneycruiselineblog.com will show you the menu for the pirate night. Personally I always pick this night as I would rather experience the other menus.

The only way you could semi-know what restaurant you were in that night is to request a dining rotation. However when you get onboard this may or may not have been done so you could still end up with a different rotation.

What you will have is the first time (usually) you are in each restuarant you will get the signature restaurant menu - so the 3 main restaurants will have their own menus. This means as you move between them you will get each of these menus once (while people in the other restaurants are experiencing theirs). On the other nights all 3 restaurants will have the same themed menus. So for example on Pirate night all restaurants have a pirate menu. Hopefully below makes more sense as I feel like my write up is confusing (using a 7 night as an example)

1st night -

2nd night

3rd night

• Restaurant 2 - standard Restaurant 2 menu
  • Restaurant 3 - standard Restaurant 3 menu

4th night (Pirate night)

• All Restaurants - Pirate night

5th night

• All Restaurants - themed menu 1

6th night

• All Restaurants - themed menu 2

7th night

• All Restaurants - themed menu 3

Fingers crossed that makes a bit more sense! So if your rotation was R2/R3/Animators then you would have:

• Night 1 - standard Restaurant 2 menu
  • Night 2 - standard Restaurant 3 menu
  • Night 3 - standard Animators menu
  • Night 4 - Pirates menu
  • Night 5 - themed menu 1
  • Night 6 - themed menu 2
  • Night 7 - themed menu 3

Yes Yes, this does make sense. So I booked Palo for the same night as the Pirate night, so hopefully it's the right decision. Looks like it based on the few comments I have read so far. Thanks this does make sense now.

Howdy fellow Aussie Cruiser. We are from Brisbane and when we sailed the Magic in 2014 we weren't in a hurry but it took about 45 mins through the immigration area of Port Canaveral. It then took another hour for the line up to get the car rental shuttle.

Getting on the ship I cannot comment as Pe arrived there at 11:30 am there was no line up at the check in counter and after we checked in we were whisked away as we got chosen to be family of the day. Which meant we got on the ship before anyone else except for the b2b people but we also had to stand up in the port and get introduced to the entire load of passengers. But all was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey Aus,

Thanks for that. I have a town Car booked to pick us up about 8:15am. So my plan was to do a self assisted disembarkation (Which I think starts at 7:30am). So I was hoping that it took about 45 mins all up. I have been on other cruises from the USA and did not really find the US Customs too slow, so I am hoping it's the same here.

Can I ask did you have any special visas or anything. My Last cruise last year from Los Angeles we didn't have anything only the ESTA thing, and the customs lady made a little comment but all was OK in the end. Was just wondering if we should have had something extra that I missed. She didn't seem to really know what she was talking about though cause she had to ask someone else, but it got me a bit nervous.

Can't wait though. The count down is on, and fly out in less than 3 weeks! Wonder how many Aussies will be on board. It's amazing we fly to America and get excited at seeing an Aussie over there LOL

Hey Aus,

Thanks for that. I have a town Car booked to pick us up about 8:15am. So my plan was to do a self assisted disembarkation (Which I think starts at 7:30am). So I was hoping that it took about 45 mins all up. I have been on other cruises from the USA and did not really find the US Customs too slow, so I am hoping it's the same here.

Can I ask did you have any special visas or anything. My Last cruise last year from Los Angeles we didn't have anything only the ESTA thing, and the customs lady made a little comment but all was OK in the end. Was just wondering if we should have had something extra that I missed. She didn't seem to really know what she was talking about though cause she had to ask someone else, but it got me a bit nervous.

Can't wait though. The count down is on, and fly out in less than 3 weeks! Wonder how many Aussies will be on board. It's amazing we fly to America and get excited at seeing an Aussie over there LOL

Howdy

No about the special visas only the ESTA which lasts for 2 years. I wish we flew out in 3 weeks have to wait 102 days. How many of you are going ? Kids ?

Looks like a similar trip to the one we did Cozumel was great loved that place and Grand you gotta try the rum cake. and Castaway cay is great fun too.

In regards to tipping we just went with the prepaid gratutites except for out stateroom attendant he was great with the kids.:)

Port canaveral is easy to do if you have kids make sure you get the wrist band for the kids rooms and go in on the open days.

We never done the Adult dining, i felt the main dining rooms were more than adequate.

I find the adult dining is probably slightly more al a carte rather than mass catering (or it tasted that way to me). I don't like the Pirate menu (confirmed on last trip) so will be booking Palo for that night as I'd rather skip the food (or I might do cabanas instead as I think they do standard menu up there).

For room service tipping - do people tip actual cash or can you sign a receipt adding in the tip to be charged to your room account? Thanks.

You can either tip cash directly, or add it to the slip that comes with the tray(which will them be added to your onboard account).

One note on that, however, often, if there's no charge for any of the items on the room service tray (only alcoholic beverages, soda, and snack-type foods have a charge), you may not be presented with a slip for signature. You might have to ask for it.

For room service tipping - do people tip actual cash or can you sign a receipt adding in the tip to be charged to your room account? Thanks.

I've never seen a slip so have always done cash. As other poster said I think if you order a soda or something that's charged then you are more likely to see the slip but I'm also sure if you ask they will get it out as it must be somewhere (you would hope).

Hello, and thanks everyone. I never thought to actually tip with cash for room service. So used to everything being on the card, but I think I will do that from now on.

Last cruise we didn't tip, and afterwards I was kind of thinking, Gee you tip for everything in the USA I probably should have tipped for that.

Oh it's a learning curve isn't it? LOL

Howdy

No about the special visas only the ESTA which lasts for 2 years. I wish we flew out in 3 weeks have to wait 102 days. How many of you are going ? Kids ?

Looks like a similar trip to the one we did Cozumel was great loved that place and Grand you gotta try the rum cake. and Castaway cay is great fun too.

In regards to tipping we just went with the prepaid gratutites except for out stateroom attendant he was great with the kids.:)

Port canaveral is easy to do if you have kids make sure you get the wrist band for the kids rooms and go in on the open days.

We never done the Adult dining, i felt the main dining rooms were more than adequate.

Thanks. Yeah we cruised last year from LA and didn't have an issue but just wanted to make sure. Have the ESTA!

No kids going. Two adults (Me and My sister), chose Disney because they have such positive feedback and wanted to do a cruise line you could not get in Australia. Expensive but I think it will be worth it, from what I am reading! Can't wait! Plus we both secreting are Disney fans! LOL