Restaurant in Copenhagen

Cat9196

I went to Copenhagen some 25 years and one ex-husband ago. Going on the Baltic Capitals cruise on August 27, 2016 on NCL. Celebrating our 20 year anniversary. (got it really right the second time!!)

For the last 20 years I have told my husband that someday we will go to Copenhagen and we will go to this amazing restaurant called St. Gertrude's Cloister. Last year we made the reservations for the cruise, I looked up St. Gertrude's only to find there was a fire (place is lit entirely by candles) and it will not reopen. UGGGHHHH. :(

Has anyone been to Copenhagen and to St. Gertrude's that can recommend someplace similar? We want a tasting menu, nothing weird (for the hubby. I'm good with trying new foods.)

Suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks!

Don't feel too sorry about Sct. Gertruds Kloster. 25 years ago it was one in a kind restaurant, but the owners couldn't keep up and it ended being one of these tourist trap restaurants. Beautiful scene, horrible food (taken the price in consideration).

Luckily we have many fantastic restaurants in Copenhagen where the food is in focus and many will offer a tasting menu, but it all comes down to the type of food your interested in and also the size of your wallet.

Restaurant Koefoed is a great Danish restaurant - located in the middle of Copenhagen in a former cellar (like Gertruds), but updated to a modern restaurant with great food. They have a tasting menu for the price of DKK 495.

They call themselves "Bornholm on one plate" - Bornholm is a Danish island in the middle of the Baltic Sea and they are primarily using products from what we call "The Sunshine Island".

Reservation will be needed. Webpage: http://www.restaurant-koefoed.dk

As I said, there are so many great restaurants in Copenhagen but got to think about this one especially because you are going on a Baltic cruise and this restaurant really salute the Danish sunshine Island in the middle of the Baltic.

Have fun in Copenhagen and on the cruise [emoji4] My American family just return from their NCL Baltic cruise on Tuesday and they really enjoyed the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you DanishJourney for the recommendations. We have a reservation at Restaurant Karla for Friday night. We may check out your recommendation and possibly switch.

I look forward to coming back to Copenhagen. This time I'll make memories with the love of my life.

I actually have never heard about Restaurant Karla and had to look it up.

Restaurant Karla will offer you the traditional Danish food where Reataurant Koefoed will offer you a more modern Danish/Nordic food.

So much have happened with Copenhagen the last 25 years - but if you enjoyed it then, you most certain will do it again [emoji4]

If you are spending the weekend in Copenhagen, don't miss Copenhagen Street Food on Papirøen (Paper Island). You can walk there from Nyhavn over the canal on a new bike/walking bridge that opened last month.

Brgds,

Helle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by DanishJourney

Luckily we have many fantastic restaurants in Copenhagen where the food is in focus and many will offer a tasting menu, but it all comes down to the type of food your interested in and also the size of your wallet.

I'll second Danish Journey's comment about the restaurants in Copenhagen. From a food walking tour to four extra days on land, we ate gloriously. Here is where we ate dinner each night:

Geist -- Small plates

Formel B -- Our favorite meal. A nice bridge between traditional food and more modern Scandinavian. Superb service. My recommendation for your anniversary meal.

Amass -- Chef/owner is a former head chef at Noma, the restaurant that began Copenhagen's top foodie reputation. This restaurant offers a more accessible version of Noma's foraging philosophy (i.e. no twigs or bugs!)

We adored this cute little gourmet restaurant that served small plates with pairings, while we were seated outside, on the funky island of Christianshaven.

56 degrees. Thought the food and service were much better than at Koefoed.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189541-d4298259-Reviews-56o-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you DanishJourney for the recommendations. We have a reservation at Restaurant Karla for Friday night. We may check out your recommendation and possibly switch.

I look forward to coming back to Copenhagen. This time I'll make memories with the love of my life.

We happened upon Restaurant Karla (it was an easy walk from the Marriott) and absolutely adored it. It was very homey (you can see photos on TripAdvisor) with an excellent menu. From what I can tell, the cuisine is traditional Danish. It is a small, quiet place with candlelight and excellent service. I would choose Karla's again, in preference to the other two more highly rated (and expensive) restaurants where we dined while in Copenhagen last year.