Catherine's Palace or Peterhof?

gfranzen

We will be visiting St. Petersburg next July and was advised to visit Catherine's Palace for the interior and Peterhof for the exterior (fountain, garden etc.) So, will depends on what you like to do.

Kevin

Kevin's quick summary is correct. It depends on what your personal interests and tastes would be. Which do you love more? And maybe, there is also the factor of the weather that day. Are you doing a private tour or ship's tour for that one day? Below are some visual samples to help you decide. It's a hard choice!!! The correct/best answer is both. But, if you only have one day in St. Petersburg, that's nearly impossible. Let us know your other reactions and questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the Peterhof, it's the gardens, water features, etc.:

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

At Catherine's Palace, the interiors are super special, including the Amber Room:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

Additional comments: It makes a big difference whether the grand fountain in Peterhof is on or not. The fountain is only on for a short period of time (around 11am or noon, not on a fixed schedule). We were lucky that the fountain was on when we started our garden tour. Later the fountain was off and it didn't look as impressive.

Ok, TLC Ohio, how did you score such spectacular weather on your cruise? I have seen your fotos of St-P, Copenhagen, Bruges, etc., etc. and I have yet to see a cloudy day. Sure hope we are blessed with clear skies and smooth sailing!

I'm trying to decide between Catherine's palace or Peterhof. We only have time for one. Opinions?

Catherine's Palace is a 'museum' with lots of rooms that are interconnected, and the 'tour' takes you through one after the other with lots of people ahead and behind you. There are marvelous pieces on display in each room (furniture, paintings, etc.). It is awsome. But it is also like visiting the golden tomb of a spoiled lady with lots of glitter and pompous. And the march goes on.

The Palace of Peterhof is also indoors, but few will see it. It is a large, yellow building you face from the front and back. However, the main attraction is the garden with the water works, the fountains and the various statues. It is a place where you (and your guide) can wander and wonder, see the flower displays and perhaps see the isolated buildings where Peter and his guests had fun and bathed. But you can sit and watch the fountain of your choice, instead of what the group ahead of you will allow.

Both places are 'restored' and there is lots of history hidden behind it all. Both are worthwhile visiting and it would be too bad to miss one. I had fun and enjoyed Peterhof, my wife liked Catherine's Palace better.

So there you are. What is your preference???

PS to Terry: It was my understanding that taking photos of the 'Amber Room' at Catherine's Palace were totally forbidden. Mine came from a postcard I bought; where did yours come from? Did that cause you any difficulties?

For a few details of our experience you might want to go to: http://www.*****.com/SP1.html

Edited by Lair Bear

I know you cannot predict the weather, but we also had a gorgeous, sunny day to visit Peteroff, and that alone make the desicion easy, Peteroff. It is just spectacular. Catherine's Palace is also a study in grandure, but for us, Peteroff's was the highlite of that day

I know Terry's pictures are great, but if I may add a few of my own

Catherine's Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe714.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe669.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe685.jpg

As you can see, a Giants fan, even in Russia

Peteroff

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe718.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

(water goes right out to the Sea of Finland)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe742.jpg

As I said, we had just a spectacular day, and that helps make any picture great.

Great Photos Terry. I wish my photo skill is half as good. :o Kevin

PS to Terry: It was my understanding that taking photos of the 'Amber Room' at Catherine's Palace were totally forbidden. Mine came from a postcard I bought; where did yours come from? Did that cause you any difficulties?

Thanks for Kevin's kind comments. Will try to post some of my photo "secrets" and suggestions on a separate thread. On the weather, we've been lucky! God has shined nicely on us during our vacations. On some days with rain, we focused on certain interiors or museums, adjusting schedules accordingly. Below is a Moscow picture that show rather dramatic "dark clouds". Fortunately while there in Moscow on a one-day trip from being docked in St. Petersburg, it rained a little while inside at two key locations and had passing dark clouds later in the afternoon. No major problems that affected seeing these sights and taking pictures.

On Lair Bear's concern for whether I was arrested while in Russia or worry about the State Police knocking on my door now, the answer is NO! YES, sometimes, when my camera is resting lower on my stomach, it will "accidentially" go off. It was set with the 10mm wide angle lens and happened to capture interesting views. I didn't aim the camera or have it at my eye. It just kind of "went off" about three times there. Those things happen.

In Moscow on Red Square looking at St. Basel's:

StBaselDkClouds.jpg

On Lair Bear's concern for whether I was arrested while in Russia or worry about the State Police knocking on my door now, the answer is NO! YES, sometimes, when my camera is resting lower on my stomach, it will "accidentially" go off. It was set with the 10mm wide angle lens and happened to capture interesting views. I didn't aim the camera or have it at my eye. It just kind of "went off" about three times there. Those things happen.

First of all, I was not concerned.

Second, I found it interesting that your 'accidental' shot of the Amber room also shows the clear sign of 'no photographs'. I suppose someone bumped you in the large crowded passage way and hit the shutter by 'accident' and you never thought about erasing the image.

While we were in St. P. our guide told us that a tourist had been arrested in the subway for taking a picture, knowing full well that it was illegal. So it could have happened at the palace as well.

I suggest to others not to take this too lightly.

I just love that you captured the "no photography" sign when your camera accidently went off ;) So many people were having that problem in the Amber Room that my mother decided to take pictures on purpose rather than be left out. The guard said something to someone but there were so many people speaking so many languages we couldn't tell who she was speaking to. Mom didn't have any problems, though. The next week at the Tower of London we DID see a young man get arrested for taking an illegal picture of the crown jewels. I think the metro is considered part of the Russian national defense system so it is considered a serious offense to take pictures there. Not a good idea.

Terry your photographs are just beautiful. Everytime you post one I am transported back. Thanks so much...

The guard said something to someone but there were so many people speaking so many languages we couldn't tell who she was speaking to. Mom didn't have any problems, though. The next week at the Tower of London we DID see a young man get arrested for taking an illegal picture of the crown jewels.

Interesting. So, who wants to be next?

In Russia if it says 'don't do', don't do.

I just love that you captured the "no photography" sign when your camera accidently went off ;) So many people were having that problem in the Amber Room that my mother decided to take pictures on purpose rather than be left out. The guard said something to someone but there were so many people speaking so many languages we couldn't tell who she was speaking to. Mom didn't have any problems, though. The next week at the Tower of London we DID see a young man get arrested for taking an illegal picture of the crown jewels. I think the metro is considered part of the Russian national defense system so it is considered a serious offense to take pictures there. Not a good idea.

Terry your photographs are just beautiful. Everytime you post one I am transported back. Thanks so much...

THANKS, sbhdmh, for the kind comments and the other "concerns" for my safety from the Russia police! We had a photo permit for taking pictures inside Catherine's Palace, but that room was posted with the added "NO" sign.

On taking pictures in the subways, I had read earlier comments/warnings. I understand the past security concerns during the Cold War. BUT, while in Moscow, there was no problem in taking lots of pictures there. Who knows?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In Moscow's subway showing its unique art:

1A-Moscow-SubwayArt-Station.jpg

Soviet Police approach our home (not really):

1A-Moscow-MilitOfficers.jpg

Soviet Police approach our home (not really):

1A-Moscow-MilitOfficers.jpg

:eek:! Too funny Terry! I can just see them coming down the streets of Ohio looking for you... :)

But seriously, it's not worth risking a run in with the law, or getting your guide in trouble. Some of the sites are just SO breathtaking that it can be hard to resist. I do wonder why they don't allow pictures in the Amber Room. So many people were taking them anyway they could even sell an additional photo pass just for that room and make a bigger profit?

:eek:! Too funny Terry! I can just see them coming down the streets of Ohio looking for you... :)

I do wonder why they don't allow pictures in the Amber Room. So many people were taking them anyway they could even sell an additional photo pass just for that room and make a bigger profit?

Because of the way the main "display rooms" are laid out inside this palace, it can get very busy and congested along this one, somewhat narrow hallway that everyone must travel down. With the Amber Room being its "superstar", my guess is that they are trying to lessen the back-up of people who would be attempting to get pictures there at this one point. When we were there, it was busy. BUT, things were not overwhelmingly crowded. By requiring the photo passes and other steps, it might be that their main goal is keep people moving along and not taking too much time trying to get clear or good pictures. I don't think it is just sell their post cards.

If your tour of Peteroff includes the nearby church then opt for Catherine's palace.

After six years I am still haunted by the gypsy children forced to beg by the lurking adults. There will be plenty of children on the streets of St. Petersburg with their hand out but it will be nothing like our experiences in the country side.

I was in Russia in March and the fountains were covered so I am looking forward to our return this summer. The gardens will be the highlight of a fine estate.

If your tour of Peteroff includes the nearby church then opt for Catherine's palace.

After six years I am still haunted by the gypsy children forced to beg by the lurking adults. There will be plenty of children on the streets of St. Petersburg with their hand out but it will be nothing like our experiences in the country side.

I was in Russia in March and the fountains were covered so I am looking forward to our return this summer. The gardens will be the highlight of a fine estate.

From our three days last summer in both BOTH Moscow and a number of places in St. Petersburg, we saw no begging, gypsy children, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on photography and gypsies...every bit helps.

Gfranzen, I'm basically in the same "boat" as you....trying to decide between the two. HARD decision. :rolleyes:

Today, I'm leaning towards Peterhof because after seeing all the gorgeous photos of the breathtaking gardens and fountains, I think we will enjoy being "outdoors" after spending so much time indoors on our Hermitage tour.

Yesterday, it was the Catherine Palace due to interior pics. Who knows what I'll think tomorrow....decisions, decisions...

Still pinching myself.....how LUCKY we are to get to make these decisions. I can't WAIT til my cruise!!!!!

Any input from others who've seen both would be greatly appreciated. :D

I wonder if it may be possible to have the weather decide... Depending on the flexability of the guide/tour company you use I wonder if you could arrange to do Peterhof if the weather is good and Catherine's Palace if it's not. The tour company would have to reserve in advance for better admission to Catherine's Palace or hydrofoil tickets but if you told them you would be fine with either choice (and be sure of the price for both options in advance) they could reserve when they got a weather report. You may not know for sure until you get there which you would see but since both are SO spectacular it could be a win-win opportunity. Just an idea...

I wonder if it may be possible to have the weather decide... Depending on the flexability of the guide/tour company you use I wonder if you could arrange to do Peterhof if the weather is good and Catherine's Palace if it's not. The tour company would have to reserve in advance for better admission to Catherine's Palace or hydrofoil tickets but if you told them you would be fine with either choice (and be sure of the price for both options in advance) they could reserve when they got a weather report. You may not know for sure until you get there which you would see but since both are SO spectacular it could be a win-win opportunity. Just an idea...

VERY good point.

Will email our tour company about that....THANKS! :)

Our Princess cruises itinerary offered a "Night at Catherine's Palace" tour. Luckily we had two days in St Petersburg so we did both Catherine's and Peterhof. Both palaces had their share of opulant rooms, ballrooms, royal bedrooms and art collections. The highlight is Catherine's Amber Room, even though it is a re-creation since the original one "was lost". We were herded through everywhere we went because we went with the ship's tours and it was peak cruise season so the crowds were unavoidable.

I like to take photos, so I was disappointed when we were not allowed to use our cameras inside Peterhof. Many folks were "accidentally" using their flash inside Catherine's Palace and it annoyed the Museum staff who had to constantly chastise the rule breakers.

We were in St Petersburg on a Friday and Saturday. Trafffic was light on the weekend though it can be a problem if you are arriving during the week and are trying to fit both palaces onto your itinerary.

• 6 years later...

We sail on Sunday for the baltics.We have been before and they are both spectacular.There are usually tours that take in both palaces on the same day although they can be rather hectic but worth ever minute.You can always take it easy next day.

Additional comments: It makes a big difference whether the grand fountain in Peterhof is on or not. The fountain is only on for a short period of time (around 11am or noon, not on a fixed schedule). We were lucky that the fountain was on when we started our garden tour. Later the fountain was off and it didn't look as impressive.

The Grand Cascade operates mid-May through early-October. The specific hours of operation are...

...Monday through Friday 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

...Saturday and Sunday 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

If you were visiting Peterhof within those hours of operation and the fountain wasn't on, there must have been a malfunction. The hours of operation are neither as limited or as random as you're suggesting.

The Cascade launch at 11:00 AM is a very impressive ceremony. Some of the fountains begin to flow with low pressure and, over a brief time, more and more fountains are turned on and the pressure is turned up. All this takes place to music.

Great viewing but be aware of your wallet and camera during the launch. The dense crowds and preoccupation with the spectacle is prime time for pickpockets.

ETA: I just realized that I've replied to a zombie thread. At least the information I've provided is useful.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy