Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Hi everyone, welcome to the Forum.

As I have moved house and am no longer a 'Rostocker' from now on I will be posting as 'Travelanni'. Still living in the area though and happy to help Cruisers docking in Warnemünde, Lübeck, Kiel, Hamburg and Bremen to enjoy your visit. I am also happy to offer advice re. travel to Cruisers embarking Warnemünde, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Rotterdam and planning to visit Berlin either pre- or post-cruise.

The official Port of Rostock list of cruise ship calls is now available on

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2014-port-calls.html

Piers P1-4, P7 and P8 are at the Warnemünde cruise terminal. Piers LP41 and LP31 are in the commercial port on the other side of the river.

I am now in the process of updating the web site. Hopefully it will be finished by next week.

Looking forward to your questions.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks for the pier info on Warnemunde. It was very helpful in planning for our cruise next summer.

We will be taking an SPB tour to Berlin and back during our one day in Germany on the Royal Princess. Hopefully this will work out well, although we know it will be exhausting. We've never been to Berlin, and we think this will be the best option for us.

Any additional advice (including a museum we might be able to squeeze in if there is any free time) would be appreciated.

nisky

Thanks for the pier info on Warnemunde. It was very helpful in planning for our cruise next summer.

We will be taking an SPB tour to Berlin and back during our one day in Germany on the Royal Princess. Hopefully this will work out well, although we know it will be exhausting. We've never been to Berlin, and we think this will be the best option for us.

Any additional advice (including a museum we might be able to squeeze in if there is any free time) would be appreciated.

nisky

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

If you look at the thread 'Is Berlin worth 6 hours on a bus', post #6 by 'dogs4fun' you will find a description of how they took a tour and arranged to be dropped at the Pergamon museum while the others had lunch. I would be interested to know how they managed the tickets as I understood that,during the high season, you have to book in advance and be given a time slot but maybe I'm wrong. I am fortunate in being able to visit out of season.

It all depends really on how much time you have and where you have free time. If it is in the Kurfurstendam area for shopping then there is not much in the way of museums. If, however, it is in the area of the Jewish Holocaust Memorial where there are souvenir shops and cafes then there is a fascinating little exhibition on Hitlers plan for Berlin after the war. It was truly amazing.

The most important museums are on Unter den Linden and Museum Island and really require more than a couple of hours.

It might be an idea to discuss this with your tour company, they may be able to suggest a museum which would fit in with the tour and make best use of your time.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

The planning and getting there is half the fun of the holiday.

Hi, I am starting to do research on a place to stay in Amsterdam, one night, pre-cruise. Your post came up with the search function. Do you have any recommendations? Most of the smaller places that I have found will not allow a one night stay. They want 2-3 nights stays. :(

Thank you!

Hi, I am starting to do research on a place to stay in Amsterdam, one night, pre-cruise. Your post came up with the search function. Do you have any recommendations? Most of the smaller places that I have found will not allow a one night stay. They want 2-3 nights stays. :(

Thank you!

Hi, the search function is a bit misleading as I offered to help with travel between Berlin and embarkation ports for cruisers visiting Berlin post- or pre-cruise,, I am not familiar with Amsterdam itself.

However, we too have been researching for a one night visit there later in the year using http://www.booking.com which offers everything from back-packer dormitory accommodation to 5+ star hotels. We have used this site for over 10 years and never been disappointed: their descriptions are very honest and the prices are usually the best you will find on the net.

We have not decided on a hotel yet but there seem to be plenty to choose from with no restriction on the number of nights booked. In fact it is a condition of booking which I have never come across.

Hope this helps, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Thanks Anni. I think it was your statement that was misleading - at least to me. ;) I thought you were offering help to cruisers for these cities. My mistake.

I am also happy to offer advice re. travel to Cruisers embarking Warnemünde, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Rotterdam and planning to visit Berlin either pre- or post-cruise.

I have looked on Booking.com and all the like websites. It's the smaller more intimate hotels, Inn's B&B's that require more than one night. We would like something with a little charm.

Good luck in finding something and have a good cruise. :)

PS - We are traveling to Berlin and Bocholt before heading to Amsterdam. We have German resident guides. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

To the OP:

Do any of the tours actually go to Schloss Charlottenburg/Charlottenburg Palace ?? I found this to be very interesting, and I would recommend it. I never hear of anyone mentioning this in any of their reviews. Although I imagine if one is going to St. Petersburg you'd be palaced out. :)

But do your homework, there is also the Reichstag building, Alexanderplatz that was *the* place to be when it was the showplace of the Eastern side.

For the poster looking for lodging in Amsterdam, have you looked into Hotel Kap ?? Its a steep staircase up to the rooms and my tiny room had a shared bathroom down the hall. No biggie for me. Its not too far from Anne Frank House, across the canal from the Heineken Brewery tour, walking distance to the museum quarter (Van Gogh and Reijksmuseum) and a short walk to the streetcar stop.

Thanks Anni. I think it was your statement that was misleading - at least to me. ;) I thought you were offering help to cruisers for these cities. My mistake.

I am sorry that my statement was misleading, I am not sure how else I could have phrased it. However, to clarify:-

Quote from my post -'As I have moved house and am no longer a 'Rostocker' from now on I will be posting as 'Travelanni'. Still living in the area though and happy to help Cruisers docking in Warnemünde, Lübeck, Kiel, Hamburg and Bremen to enjoy your visit'

I am a self-confessed travel addict and history buff, have lived in NE Germany for nearly 10 years and have made regular visits to and studied all of the places likely to be visited by passengers of cruise ships docking in the above ports, especially Warnemünde. As I am retired I also have plenty of time (and enjoy) to research the answers to questions. I love the area and my aim is to help others to enjoy their visit here.

Quote from my post -'I am also happy to offer advice re. travel to Cruisers embarking Warnemünde, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Rotterdam and planning to visit Berlin either pre- or post-cruise'

Many more cruisers are spending a few days pre- or post-cruise in Berlin. I travel extensively around Europe by public transport and am very familiar with European transport systems and how to navigate around their timetables and fare offers which can be confusing, so my intention was to help cruisers find the most efficient, cost effective way between Berlin (which city I know well, having lived there) and their port of embarkation/disembarkation.

I would not presume to offer advice on cities which I do not know when there are such excellent 'locals' (eg. Danish Viking on Copenhagen) and people who have visited there posting on this forum.

Anni

Oki - we are docking in Warnemunde in May. We have been there before so have one Wrnemunde and Rostock. I think we took a boat to/from and just walked around the towns enjoying the places.

This time we are looking at doing something different around the local area.

What would you suggest??...Wismar..??....Schwerin..???

Edited by I-Cruiser

Nope, but thank you for the tip. Not sure I could share a bath unless it's with my brother and wife. lol I'll take a look, though. ;)

Check on the British Isle forum lots of info on Amsterdam there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Also look on Trip advisor for hotels to suit your needs

As mentioned some of the smaller places have no lift & you hike up narrow staircases with your bags

You could try bidding on priceline for a 4 or 5* hotel that would be much nice for about $100 USD

Look in the area near the Central Station it is easy to get to most places walking or the tram

Edited by LHT28

Oki - we are docking in Warnemunde in May. We have been there before so have one Wrnemunde and Rostock. I think we took a boat to/from and just walked around the towns enjoying the places.

This time we are looking at doing something different around the local area.

What would you suggest??...Wismar..??....Schwerin..???

Hi, It depends on your taste. Wismar - great medieval architecture; Schwerin - baroque architecture and a beautiful castle/palace. Then there is Stralsund - very well preserved medieval buildings, some great museums and a world class Oceanarium. All within 1 hours travel time.

Bad Doberan is closer - the Munster is one of the biggest and most beautiful churches in NE Germany, set in the grounds of the ancient monastery where some of the monastic buildings still exist. It is also the start point for the Mollibahn - the small, privately operated steam train which is still an important part of the transport system on the coast.

All these towns and the addresses of web sites where you can learn more are on my web site.

If you hire a car it is possible to drive to the island of Rügen - Königstuhl National Park and the white cliffs made famous by the artist Caspar David Friedrich, ancient beech forests and Kap Arkona, the most easterly point in Germany.

Other ideas anyone?

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, It depends on your taste. Wismar - great medieval architecture; Schwerin - baroque architecture and a beautiful castle/palace. Then there is Stralsund - very well preserved medieval buildings, some great museums and a world class Oceanarium. All within 1 hours travel time.

Bad Doberan is closer - the Munster is one of the biggest and most beautiful churches in NE Germany, set in the grounds of the ancient monastery where some of the monastic buildings still exist. It is also the start point for the Mollibahn - the small, privately operated steam train which is still an important part of the transport system on the coast.

All these towns and the addresses of web sites where you can learn more are on my web site.

If you hire a car it is possible to drive to the island of Rügen - Königstuhl National Park and the white cliffs made famous by the artist Caspar David Friedrich, ancient beech forests and Kap Arkona, the most easterly point in Germany.

Other ideas anyone?

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you very much for the information and ideas.

I will read up about Stralsund, Bad Doberan.

I suppose its very easy and straight forward to drive in Germany even thought we don't speak/read any German?!

Thank you very much for the information and ideas.

I will read up about Stralsund, Bad Doberan.

I suppose its very easy and straight forward to drive in Germany even thought we don't speak/read any German?!

If you know where you want to go do google maps of how to drive there, the roads in Germany are very well marked and once you know what to look for you should have no problems. Just know that you'll only see a speed limit sign if the limit changes -- not every quarter mile like here in the U.S.

In the example below

Top speed in the village/town is 50 Km/h

Top speed after leaving a town is 100 km/h (on Bundestrassen - roads that have a B and number on them)

Top speed on the Autobahn is 130

This type of sign is seen when entering the country from another country but I just used it to give you an example of what a speed limit sign looks like.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfve7PCsz0YmeB4O44Ku04iCGQOcBrGayVQB1hMneOfUbcc83xgQ

Edited by Sauer-kraut

If you know where you want to go do google maps of how to drive there, the roads in Germany are very well marked and once you know what to look for you should have no problems. Just know that you'll only see a speed limit sign if the limit changes -- not every quarter mile like here in the U.S.

In the example below

Top speed in the village/town is 50 Km/h

Top speed after leaving a town is 100 km/h (on Bundestrassen - roads that have a B and number on them)

Top speed on the Autobahn is 130

This type of sign is seen when entering the country from another country but I just used it to give you an example of what a speed limit sign looks like.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfve7PCsz0YmeB4O44Ku04iCGQOcBrGayVQB1hMneOfUbcc83xgQ

Thank you for explaining. This is very helpful.

I will print out a route map and I will also have the car rental company program a GPS for us. Also, with GPS on our phones it would be hard to get lost:D

I really would want to drive to Wismar and Schwerin. But I would also look into Stralsund and Bad Doberan.

Check on the British Isle forum lots of info on Amsterdam there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Also look on Trip advisor for hotels to suit your needs

As mentioned some of the smaller places have no lift & you hike up narrow staircases with your bags

You could try bidding on priceline for a 4 or 5* hotel that would be much nice for about $100 USD

Look in the area near the Central Station it is easy to get to most places walking or the tram

Thank you so much for pointing out where Amsterdam is located on the Ports of Call board. I could not find it (did not see the British Isles section at the top of that page. ) :rolleyes::o I was wondering where it was and since we were taking a Baltics cruise, I came here.

I will consider Priceline. Actually, for one night, that's probably great idea! ;)

Thank you so much for pointing out where Amsterdam is located on the Ports of Call board. I could not find it (did not see the British Isles section at the top of that page. ) :rolleyes::o I was wondering where it was and since we were taking a Baltics cruise, I came here.

I will consider Priceline. Actually, for one night, that's probably great idea! ;)

Check betterbidding dot com

for what people are bidding & dates

We have gotten the Movenpick (next to the port) & Barbizon Palace both for under $100 USD

Bid on zone 3 4 or 5 * in the NYOP

good luck

Hi Travelanni. My family and I are planning to spend a few days pre-cruise in Amsterdam and Berlin before embarking in Stockholm. What are the best options for travel between Amsterdam and Berlin? We would like to maximize our time in both cities so would prefer not to spend too much time traveling from one to the other if possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi Travelanni. My family and I are planning to spend a few days pre-cruise in Amsterdam and Berlin before embarking in Stockholm. What are the best options for travel between Amsterdam and Berlin? We would like to maximize our time in both cities so would prefer not to spend too much time traveling from one to the other if possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi,

The train service between the two cities is very good. A direct daily Inter City train every two hours;

6:36, 8:36, etc. until 16:36 from Berlin Hbf to Amsterdam Centraal

9:01, 11:01 etc. until 15:01 from Amsterdam Centraal to Berlin Hbf.

The journey takes about 6 hours. The standard fare is around 116euro but there are specials, which sell out fairly quickly, from as low as 49euro available on-line from 92 days in advance of travel. Seats can be reserved for an extra 4euro per seat.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

Several major and budget airlines fly between the two cities but even though the actual flight only takes 1hr:15mins when you factor in the time to reach the airport from the city centre, mandatory check-in times, waiting for luggage on arrival and the time to reach the city at the other end the time difference is not so much. Air fares vary but the lowest I could find was 49.50 euro with one cabin bag only ie. there is a surcharge per kilo for hold luggage.

There is also the cost of transport to and from the airport at each end which can add up to as much as the budget air fare.

Hope this helps with your planning

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Check betterbidding dot com

for what people are bidding & dates

We have gotten the Movenpick (next to the port) & Barbizon Palace both for under $100 USD

Bid on zone 3 4 or 5 * in the NYOP

good luck

I love BetterBidding. Been using it for years along with Priceline. ;) Probably should have this time, but stumbled upon a hotel that sounded perfect, so we booked it!

We will be staying at The Toren. Pretty expensive for one night with no breakfast, but it is around the corner from the Anne Frank House and we have reservations that last morning for 9:00am. The hotel is centrally located to everything and gets great reviews on Tripadvisor. It was recommended on the Ports of Calls Amsterdam board. Thank you again for that link. http://www.thetoren.nl/

Edited by Iamthesea

I love BetterBidding. Been using it for years along with Priceline. ;) Probably should have this time, but stumbled upon a hotel that sounded perfect, so we booked it!

We will be staying at The Toren. Pretty expensive for one night with no breakfast, but it is around the corner from the Anne Frank House and we have reservations that last morning for 9:00am. The hotel is centrally located to everything and gets great reviews on Tripadvisor. It was recommended on the Ports of Calls Amsterdam board. Thank you again for that link. http://www.thetoren.nl/

Enjoy your trip

I love Amsterdam we will be there in June for a port stop

Try one of the dutch pancakes ;)

Lyn

Hi Anni. Thanks for posting so much helpful information on your web site.

Our ship (Marina) docks at Warnemunde on June 30 from 7 AM until 9 PM. We're interested in seeing both Wismar and Straslund, but they are in opposite directions from Warnemunde/Rostock.

Do you think we have enough time to travel by train and see both towns? Would you try to see both, or choose one over the other? What is unique about each town?