What currency to tip with in Europe?

Keris

I was wondering what currency it's best to tip in whilst cruising in Europe, dollars or euros? We'll be prepaying the bulk of the tips but I wasn't sure to do about room service and Palo etc?

I was wondering what currency it's best to tip in whilst cruising in Europe, dollars or euros? We'll be prepaying the bulk of the tips but I wasn't sure to do about room service and Palo etc?

Crew, it doesn't really matter that much, on land Euro.

I've seen crew on shore with pretty much any currency you could name all in the one bundle.

They tell me they can "bank" anything to transfer home.

Thank you, that's helpful. It was on the ship I meant, I should have made that clearer! :)

I'll just get Euros then, or use pounds, no point in getting dollars if I don't need them.

I would say sterling is probably the least useful to them as they probably spend less time in UK than anywhere else. Euros would probably be better if Med sailing, but hey cash is cash.

Agree with this. Unless you are on a cruise of the British Isles, don't use pounds.

For room service best is $'s and then Euro's.

At Palo, you do not need to give cash, you can give a tip in $'s on your check.

ex techie

I would also think about how many cruises they have left in Europe too as well as exchange rates. For the UK, the Euro rate is fairly bad currently so I might consider getting $'s instead as better value (only just mind). Also make sure you convert the tips before you go as I think the letter with recommended tips on in your room is in $'s. I'm sure if you asked at Guest Services they would tell you the conversion but its still worth checking beforehand. If I was on one of the last European cruises I would probably tip in $'s so staff have $'s for when back in the US

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think we'll go with Euros as we're already converting from Sterling and the ship will stay in Europe for some time afterwards and the crew will be able to use up any Euros they get.