Norway or Greenland?

poss

My sense is that the ports/scenery in Norway are even more splendid than the ones in Greenland. No doubt there are people who will have a preference for Greenland, but am I more or less correct? We've never been to that part of the world and are considering an itinerary that embarks in Montreal and goes up to Reykjavik, with mainly Greenland stops. Another goes from Reykjavik-Stockhom, with mainly Norway stops. And yet another does Reykjavik-Copenhagen. All three are on Regent ships, the only line we've cruised in the dozen or so years we've been at it. We're not interested in exploring other ships-- but definitely interested in exploring these area where we've not been. We've done the Baltics several times, so we know Copenhagen and Stockholm quite well (love both, Stockhlom more), but not all those other nifty-sounding places. We're elderly, so it's highly unlikely that we'll have another visit "up north."

Thanks to those of you who have traveled these itineraries and can compare and contrast.

Which part of Greenland?

The west coast and south are very different from the northeast. Northeast Greenland is a protected national park with few/no settlements and stunning glacier scenery. I have t been, but it's at the top of my cruise wish list. A friend of mine who worked on an expedition ship for a few years in the Arctic and Antarctic said that northeast Greenland was his favorite and even more beautiful than Antarctica. (I was actually shopping for a Greenland trip when I booked my upcoming return trip to Antarctica.)

If it's south/west Greenland, I would say it depends on your interests. Greenland is small and remote, so it's an interesting way of life. I've never been because the scenery and travel write ups have never really appealed to me. I enjoyed seeing some of daily life in Svalbard, but I think I would get bored after multiple ports of that style with not a lot to see.

The Norwegian coast is classic natural beauty, and if you've never visited the fjords, I don't think you would regret it. Terry will be happy to share some of the breathtaking scenery, and it really is that gorgeous. If it's a choice between south/west Greenland and a first visit to the Norwegian fjords, I think the fjords would be a great choice.

My sense is that the ports/scenery in Norway are even more splendid than the ones in Greenland. We've never been to that part of the world and are considering an itinerary that embarks in Montreal and goes up to Reykjavik, with mainly Greenland stops. Another goes from Reykjavik-Stockhom, with mainly Norway stops. And yet another does Reykjavik-Copenhagen. We've done the Baltics several times, so we know Copenhagen and Stockholm quite well (love both, Stockhlom more), but not all those other nifty-sounding places. We're elderly, so it's highly unlikely that we'll have another visit "up north.".

While we have not been to Greenland, I can offer some insights, tips and ideas for Norway. First, tell us more on your personal interest, travel loves, etc. Since you liked both Stockholm and Copenhagen that tells me that you enjoy historic towns with lots of character, style, culture and architecture. Right? How much for shopping, wildlife, music, art, scenic countrysides, etc.?? Tell us more!!

Why? In Norway, you have historic towns such as Bergen and Trondheim with lots of history, character and interest. Then, in and around the fjords, there are many great and different scenic area. Also . . . here is a . . . .

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go farther north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Below are a few of my visual samples to give you some ideas as to why Norway is so super worth doing. But where and how do things best fit for your needs and interests? See more on my live/blog for what did from Copenhagen going up and down the entire coast of Norway.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 201,774 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

As we drove back in the Lofoten Islands along the western Norway Coast, here is a view, among many great ones that we enjoyed.:

LofotenRockBoatsDramatic.jpg

In going to Flam in one of the most scenic areas, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below are a couple pictures and highlights from this day doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, etc. This includes arriving at Flam, where the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below are more for this spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

I have been to Norway several times, and never to Greenland, but a friend of mine who has done cruises in Norway, Antarctica, West and East Greenland also said that the visit of East Greenland was one of his best voyage ever. So as Kaisatsu, it's somewhere I hope to go one day, and if you have the opportunity to go there, I would seriously consider it. It may be a place that will change over the years with global climate change, so it might be the time to visit.

Otherwise you can't go wrong either with Norway. Both choices are good, they will just be different it terms of landscape, remoteness, climate.

Edited by SarniaLo

Thanks to the three of you for your very helpful responses. Greatly appreciated.

I guess that the itinerary we were most interested in should be dropped from consideration. (Most interested because we would just have to fly to Montreal-- back from Reykjavik-- rather than fly to Reykjavik and back from Copenhagen or Stockholm. My husband is in his late 80's, so long flights aren't so good. We're glad that we visited places like Japan, New Zealand, Australia, etc. in earlier decades.) That closer-to-home itinerary does the southwest part of Greenland, not the northeast: Montreal, Quebec City, Saguenay, Saint-Pierre, St John's, Nuuk, Paamuit, Qaqortoq, Prince Kristian Fjord, Reykjavik (with some sea days). I'd be curious if the 3 of you (and hopefully others who might chime in) know the places on that Montreal-Reykjavik cruise. (I do love Canada.)

The Reykjavik-Copenhagen itinerary: Reyk, Isafjordur, Akureyri, Torshaven, Lerwick, Alesund, Bergen, Stavanger, Skagen, Oslo, Gothenburg, Copenhagen. (I apologize if spelling is messed up.)

Reykjavik-Stockholm does most of the same as above. But it misses Lerwick and Skagen and includes, instead, Helsingborg (Sweden) and Szczecin (Poland). Any opinions on the trade-offs?

At this point in our life, we aren't able to do extended traveling on our own before or after cruises-- though we always spend 2-3-4 nights pre and post cruise in the embark/debark ports.

We have zero interest in shopping, not tremendous interest in fauna. We love all kinds of flora and stunning scenery. We also enjoy historic towns with lots of character, interesting architecture, great parks and walking opportunities. Not so much interested in doing museums, though we've enjoyed that plenty. Prefer "nature."

Btw, two people I once spoke with say that the scenery in Alaska-- the fjords, waterfalls and such-- are every bit as handsome as those in Norway. I'd be curious to hear more about that. I suspect that the folks who said that perhaps weren't talking about the most stunning parts of Scandinavia (but it seems that's not what we'd be visiting anyway?) We love Alaska and British Columbia, but have visited so many times, land and sea. We'd really like to try something new.

THANK YOU!!!

Edited by poss

We just returned from an amazing cruise that included Iceland, Faroe Islands, Shetland Islands, Norway ( beginning in Amsterdam and ending in Tilbury).

We have been to Alaska, the Baltics and several other marvelous cruises to the Northern Europe area and this was our favorite. Absolutely breathtaking.

Here is our review with many photos and what we did in each port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375205

We were considering Greenland as well... Maybe in the future.

I find Norway to be different than Alaska ( we have cruised Norway twice and Alaska once). They are both very beautiful, but different. The towns and architecture as well as the geography have a different feel. I think you will love Norway, so relaxing and truly once in a lifetime scenery.

brazilgirl-- that is a most wonderful review. Thank you for leading me to it.

Are you able to comment on which of the two cruises beginning in Reykjavik might be the most scenic? Or are you not sufficiently knowledgeable about the port differences to cast a vote for one over the other?

Thanks again for one of the really great posts!

brazilgirl-- that is a most wonderful review. Thank you for leading me to it.

Are you able to comment on which of the two cruises beginning in Reykjavik might be the most scenic? Or are you not sufficiently knowledgeable about the port differences to cast a vote for one over the other?

Thanks again for one of the really great posts!

I do not feel knowledgeable enough to make a comment on the two itineraries.

I can say that I have visited Denmark twice on cruises and spent a week exploring on land and it is one of my favorite countries. I think you cannot go wrong with Denmark and Sweden, although the Shetland Islands have a special appeal to me as well. Both our visits there were enchanting. We loved both the North and South areas of the islands. I found all these areas quite visually inviting in different ways. Denmark has very lovely architecture and towns all over ...Shetland has the pear bogs, cliffs and croft houses dotted with sheep. I find the scenery quite beautiful and dramatic in a windswept manner. The Victorian charm of Lerwick is nice as well.

I want to explore Iceland more in the future as it most definitely is a country of incredible scenery. It is a visual feast.

The place I really found most incredible as far as landscapes was the Faroe Islands, but you need to arrange a private driver to take you more off the beaten path if possible. The lush green and black sod roofs of the houses enchanted me.

Good luck on planning your trip!

There's a thing with your itineraries (for Norway only, I don't know most of the other countries). Unless there are specific excursions included during some of the stops in port, none of these ports are fjords cities per se. They are fine cities, with a lot of history, and interesting to visit but they are rather coastal and do not give you the "fjord" experience you associate with Norway, particularly for you who seems more interested in natural wonders. Again, maybe there are excursions to correct this, but maybe check this out carefully if you are interested in visiting fjords. There is a "fjord" leading to Oslo, but it doesn't compare to the fjords in the West.

The sailing through Stockholm archipelago though is quite beautiful.

PS : I know you said you didn't want to consider other cruise lines, but given your interests I still would like to mention Hurtigruten. It's a company that runs a passenger/cargo ship line all along the coast of Norway from Bergen to Kirkenes and back, stopping in 34 ports of call along the way. Most of the ships are modern and comfortable. I mention this because the ships sail in view of the coast and between islands almost 24/7, so there is nature sightings from the ship all day long (and night). From June to August the ships sail into Geirangerfjord, in September and October they sail into Hjorundfjord. For me it's an awesome way to discover the landscape of coastal Norway without getting too tired ;) (you can look at my blog, I've done this trip several times).

SarniaLo: I much appreciate your taking the time to post; thank you so much.

I'd heard of Hurtigruten, and after reading what you said, and looking at your blog, I did a lot of reading about the company. Oh, I so much wish that we'd done something like this back when we were younger! I imagine that we would have enjoyed it very much. The problem is that as we've aged, "creature comforts" have become more important to us, and we've been spoiled by the Regent ships. We'd not be comfortable in the kinds of beds that Hurtigruten has, plus the bathrooms are awfully small. We don't care at all about entertainment or fancy china or exquisite furnishings, but we do very much enjoy fine dining and great service and real quiet cabins and nice balconies. And we've come really to love the "all inclusive."

Truly, I imagine that seeing all that marvelous scenery is far more impressive doing the kind of cruise you're speaking of rather than on a more "usual" kind of cruise ship. Alas, it wouldn't work for us now. Thank you again for your kind input.

(If you get totally, totally bored some day and feel like looking at the Regent itinerary and its various excursions, I'd love to hear whether you think it touches enough of the great stuff to be worthwhile. I'm looking at either the Aug. 9 cruise on the new ship Explorer: Reykjavik-Copenhagen, or the Sept 1 cruise on the Navigator: Reykjavik-Stockholm. They're terribly expensive-- at least for our pocketbooks-- so I'd sure be disappointed if the ports/excursions weren't really great. I know, on the other hand, that we'd be mightily pleased with the ships themselves.)

Thank you for your kind answer, I was worried that I was pushing information that you had not asked for (about Hurtigruten).

I have had a look at the cruises you are looking at. This is definitely another league of cruise line than what I'm used to! :) You do have access to a variety of excursions and I think you can find some that would be to your liking. I can speak only for the Norwegian stops, but for the first cruise (Aug 9) I would really recommend the Hjorundford sailing excursion from Alesund, it's really a stunning fjord. And the time in port seems long enough to do both this excursion and some walking around in Alesund, which is a very interesting city from an architectural point of view (rebuilt after a fire in the 1920 in the "Art Nouveau" style). Maybe also the Stavanger Archipelago and Lysefjord excursion from Stavanger. This would definitely give you an idea of the "fjord" landscape. In Bergen maybe enjoy the city itself (including the old Hanseatic quarter, and take the funicular up Mount Floyen for the view, weather permitting). Oslo also is more a city destination. Actually for the other cruise the Norway excursions seems to be the same.

The prices of both cruises are significantly different though... I think one of the main difference is the port of arrival, if you plan to spend some days post-cruise. I would have a tendancy to favor Stockholm (although you would have to get up very early to enjoy the sailing in the archipelago, I'm not even sure it would be daylight at that time of year).

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

And, yes, I love Stockholm! Have been both to Copenhagen and Stockholm several times (on Baltic cruises). We like them both very much, but more so Stockholm.

The difference in rates for those two Regent ships is mainly that the Explorer is the new ultra-ultra luxury ship (which we do NOT need), and Navigator is the smaller, older ship (though recently refurbished), has some aft vibration, one fewer restaurant, and not quite as good public spaces. Also, I wonder if part of the difference is that Explorer sails in August, and Navigator early September. I know, e.g., that we were able to get a very good deal on our 14-day Alaska cruise this year because it was in May; the summer itineraries were more expensive. (Happily, our weather in May this year was great.)

Thanks once more for going to the trouble of looking at the excursions.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a transatlantic with Holland America. Our itinerary was Copenhagen, Bergen, Akureyri, Isafordur, Reykjavik, Prins Christin Sund, Qarqortog, Nanortalik, St. John's, Halifax and then NYC. We missed Halifax due to Hurricane Hermine.

IMHO the trip through Prins Christin Sund was absolutely spectacular. Icebergs floated past the ship while we were surrounded by mountains. There are almost no trees, so the landscape is completely different from our Alaska/Canada cruise. The two villages in Greenland were scenichad lots of views and not much else in the way of tourist things to do.

We also loved Iceland and the enormous variety of natural sights: waterfalls, geysers, tectonic plate boundaries, etc. We did all day excursions at each of the cities and loved it. We also saw the Northern Lights for the first time, and we crossed the Arctic Circle on the ship. Second time for us above the Arctic Circle, but never on a cruise ship before.

Mike

• 1 month later...

IMHO the trip through Prins Christin Sund was absolutely spectacular. Icebergs floated past the ship while we were surrounded by mountains. There are almost no trees, so the landscape is completely different from our Alaska/Canada cruise. The two villages in Greenland were scenichad lots of views and not much else in the way of tourist things to do.

Mike

I sailed thru Prins Christian Sund on the Grand Princess TA back in 2007. I agree this is one of the most spectacular areas I've sailed, and I have done Aalska 20+ times along with South America/Antarctica and Norwegian & Chilean Fjords. Absolutely amazing the entire day and a rare chance to sail thru. Seems very few ships do this.

Most cruise lines that go there only go to the southern tip area of Greenland.

The fiords there are spectacular, some are over 1200 metre from top to sea level. I've never see geography like it. Spectacular.

The problem is...... fog.

It is common at all times of the year. The warm Atlantic water going north collides with the cold Arctic air coming south, to create sea mist.

Even if there is just a small likelihood of fog, your captain may decide not to enter the fiords, because of the limited clearances on each side. Indeed, he may be forbidden to enter by the local coast guard.

So it's a gamble. An the odds are against you there.

Greenland towns are basically sealing and fishing villages. If you expect lots of touristy stuff, you will be disappointed. But if you want to pick up a fur, well...

Most cruise lines that go there only go to the southern tip area of Greenland.

The fiords there are spectacular, some are over 1200 metre from top to sea level. I've never see geography like it. Spectacular.

The problem is...... fog.

It is common at all times of the year. The warm Atlantic water going north collides with the cold Arctic air coming south, to create sea mist.

Even if there is just a small likelihood of fog, your captain may decide not to enter the fiords, because of the limited clearances on each side. Indeed, he may be forbidden to enter by the local coast guard.

So it's a gamble. An the odds are against you there.

Greenland towns are basically sealing and fishing villages. If you expect lots of touristy stuff, you will be disappointed. But if you want to pick up a fur, well...

I am also interested in this topic..... so you are saying fog is an issue for Greenland? Not so much Norway?

Other than the 2 lines mentioned earlier are there any particular 'more common' cruiselines that anyone would recommend for Norway fjourds? We loved our 2 Volendam AK cruises.

Thanks for your insights!

Norwegian (NCL) Jade does several Norway fjords itineraries beginning in May or June. I believe NCL may even have a sailing or two that leave Europe and stop in Iceland and Greenland, Northeastern Canada, ending in either Boston or NEW York. The latter one may not be on the Jade, unsure which NCL ship that itinerary was.

• 10 months later...

I was wondering if anyone knew of any private shore ex guides in Greenland, specifically at Nanortalik and Qaqortoq ?

Sites I've come across show which day tours are possible but they don't organise them nor have guides for them. Other sites provide details of tour sellers, however the ones I've contacted only sell the complete package (air fare, accommodation, tours etc).

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Try Blue Ice Explorer for an icecap trip on an ice breaker boat.

Thanks Laura and John

I have contacted them however our friends are reluctant to book with them because they require payment up front and I think their cancellation policy requires something like 48 hours notice minimum for a refund (less a 50 DKK fee) to be issued.

The problem is that most times cruise ship passengers are not informed that far in advance of changes to itineraries and in this case, it is quite a lot of money to lose.

Cheers

Heather

I had thought others might have replied to the questions on shorex but responses might have been more numerous if a separate thread headed Nanortalik or Qaqortoq had been started.

For what it is worth:

We did two cruises which included several ports in Greenland, one with Fred Olsen and one with Holland America.

Quqortoq we visited each time, Nanortalik only once.

In Nanortalik, I suggest you wait until closer to your sail date, because there is usually a selection of events involving local people which are put on for cruise pax. I do not know who chooses the events for each ship, nor who pays for these events, whether it is the town, or the ship, or if the locals participate voluntarily.

There is usually a list of ships and their dates, and for each one the "programme" for pax is listed. They will vary. You can see those for 2017 on the website below, but as I am never sure of copyright it is

aitch tee tee pee ://nanortaliktourism dot com forwardslash groenland hyphen krydstoger

An example of the various options available in the catalogue is in PDF form which you will see near the top of the page in the para reading " cruise catalogue about cruises to...".

When we were there, we had the kayaking display and some locals dressed in traditional costume, the community hall coffee, cake and folk dancing and the choir singing in the church. We paid nothing at all, it was all complimentary, but I note that since then, there are charges for some of these. The choir singing was simply fabulous so do not miss that. Apart from that we walked around the small town and enjoyed our time there. We also used the internet.

Both times we enjoyed simply walking around and exploring Qaqortoq and a hike around part of the lake. The town is attractive to explore and you can look for the stone sculptures and carvings which are scattered around. Named Stone and Man, these are carvings by Nordic artists. You can find images and the story of these online. There is also a small museum and a church. Both times we used the internet in the library. Take some fruit ashore if you can for children. Fresh fruit is expensive in Greenland and difficult to find. There were some families with children around the fountain area in Qaqortoq who were delighted to accept fruit from any pax who had some with them.

Apart from colourful buildings in both towns, being summer there was an abundance of colourful wild flowers which contrasted with the icebergs we could see close to shore. Unfortunately there was also an abundance of large black flies.

There is loads of info online, also lots of pics, and on CC itself you need only go to this forum and use the "search forum" box for each name in turn, also the word Greenland. Any posts with these words in them will appear in the results which you can read at leisure.