Top 3 must-haves

jillo9

Ok, my last post was a bit corny!

If your question was must have for the ship:

• Travel insurance
  • Passports for everyone
  • A go with the flow attitude if not everything goes to plan

If your question was must haves on the ship:

• A Mickey Bar - from room service before bed :)
  • Freshly cooked chicken tenders from the pool deck
  • Palo chocolate soufflé (if going to Palo,) A gyro if on the Magic, an afternoon cake treat from Cove Cafe on all of the ships.

ex techie

Our family is going on a Western Carribean cruise. Tell me your top 3 must haves for the cruise.

Try to maintain the intelligence to, .... take it easy and enjoy the moments you and yours may wish to encounter, regardless of surrounding stimuli.

IOWs enjoy all the moments presented in real time, without electronic devices, nor forced majore.

Realize it's about experiences, not, ....

Just an opinion.

Edited by bear3412

• 2 weeks later...

I think of must haves in two categories as well.

First group are about making your vacation worry free.

1) Passport. Lots of debate here because it isn't technically required, but you asked and my opinion you really must have passports. It's just easier and less worry.

2) A good plan for getting to and onto the ship. That generally means flying into the port (or nearby) the day before, having a hotel booked and understanding how you are getting to the ship. Have a plan B (at least in your head) but don't get too carried away with it. Just know that you have options so that if something does go wrong, you've already thought about it and you don't have to panic.

3) A vacation state of mind. Too many enter into a Disney vacation, reading about all the pixie dust and great experiences and set an expectation that they are going to have all of those things happen for them. Just relax and take things as they come and you'll have that experience. Expecting it (demanding it from cast members) will not get you there. Magic only happens when you let it.

From a what you take with you perspective

1) Cameras. I take two. My digital SLR and a waterproof digital camera. I use my phone for pictures too. If I'm spending a day on the beach or in the water, I leave my digital SLR in the cabin safe. If I'm doing sightseeing, I take it with me. Bring plenty of storage for lots of pictures.

2) Sunscreen and mosquito repellant. Don't bring the huge family size. We bring smaller tubes. Pump sprays are nice but they don't travel well. Some say you need Sea Safe as well for sea lice. I haven't experienced a problem with that yet.

3) Something to entertain. We prefer eReaders to books but a few traditional books aren't a bad choice. We also bring a few decks of cards. That's a must have for us.

Practical must haves:

1) Passport

2) Travel Insurance

3) Credit Card (Visa) with a high available credit

Fun Must haves:

1) Kindle (cheapest version so if it gets stolen or wet I don't cry)

2) A solid camera (usually just the iPhone, DSLR for non-Caribbean itineraries, waterproof camera for the tropical spots)

3) iPad. I really enjoy writing at night about each day. I find it fun to go back and read through some older trips and remember details I had forgotten.