Which Itinerary?

northwoods2

We just decided to try SeaDream - March 19th.

But we can't decide which itinerary is better. Any advice?

SeaDream I (cabins on deck 3 and 4 available)

Marigot, Saint Martin, F.W.I.

Gustavia, St. Barts, F.W.I.

Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe, F.W.I.

Grande Anse, Martinique, F.W.I.

Rodney Bay, Saint Lucia

Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Mayreau, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Bridgetown, Barbados

SeaDream II (cabin on deck 2)

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Cruz Bay, St John, U.S.V.I.

North Sound, Virgin Gorda, B. V. I.

Sandy Ground, Anguilla, B.W.I.

Marigot, Saint Martin, F.W.I.

White Bay, Jost van Dyke, B. V. I.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.

First of all, on SeaDream, in our opinion, decks don't matter. We have stayed nicely on all three decks. As far as the ships, again just our opinion, we skew slightly to SeaDream II. No real reason for that, both crews are excellent, but if itineraries are equal, we pick SD II. Your itineraries are very different. We have only done part of the itinerary of SD I but have done the SD II itinerary many times. If itinerary makes no difference we go with price. Finally, for us out West, airfare plays a part in our decision. For us, Barbados is an expensive and time consuming trek. It really bothers me to pay more for airfare than for the cruise and if you fly Biz Class or higher, it can happen quickly. So, not sure if this is much help as it is simply our opinions of how we decide but you will have a great trip on either. Much better than the giant people farms floating about the Caribbean.:eek::D

Like Jim, we have sailed of both Sea Dream 1 & 2 many times, favoring SD2 only

because we have come to know the crew better.

We are leaving in a few days for a 14-night "back-to-back", part of which mirrors your proposed SD 1 itinerary. Our choice had much to do with ease of airline flights in and out of the Caribbean AND beach options. You will get St. Barths on

both ships for shopping and dining ... thats good.

As you do not say where you are arriving from, St. Maartens affords non-stop

flights to/from Europe and the same from Barbados. San Juan is not our

cup of tea, and direct flights to our part of the world (Canada), wanting.

Either way, you won't be disappointed with either choice. Happy sailing!

Deployment of the swim platform and the toys varies. It is highly weather (swell) dependent and is governed in many places by local ordnance. In some places only non-motorized toys are allowed, in others waverers, etc. are ok. They try to get water sports time on each voyage.

38 passengers in one group in 19 cabins would certainly give me pause.

If they were all from the local senior citizen's home ... sedate and refined,

no problem. If they were cigar smoking, gun toting, beer guzzling Texans

(sorry Texas, just a point of plausible reference), I would be off the ship

faster then they could deploy the sport's platform.

Smooth sailing!:(:(

]...governed in many places by local ordnance.

As much as I value Jim's input on all questions raised on this board, I have to jump in here in an effort to put the original poster's mind at ease. Local ordnance or not, there is no need to be concerned about your safety while on board SD in the Caribbean. Also, no need for bullet proof vests or other similar attire.

As much as I value Jim's input on all questions raised on this board, I have to jump in here in an effort to put the original poster's mind at ease. Local ordnance or not, there is no need to be concerned about your safety while on board SD in the Caribbean. Also, no need for bullet proof vests or other similar attire.

I feel naked on SD without my piece.:eek: Even if I am not really naked......:eek::D:D Pesky auto correct sometimes gives you what you need.

Edited by Jim Avery

Steering away from the large group is probably a good choice. While some groups might be okay, it is also possible that it is a group of people who have won a sales promotion and would probably feel more at home on a mass market ship.

Just looked back and saw it was a family group. May not change the fact that many would have preferred a mass market ship.

Edited by TrapperZimmy

And inevitably a group wants to "flock together". Showing up for the tenders en masse as well as at the TOY Bar/dining/pool, etc. I would avoid it as well if possible. :D That group makes up over one third (or more) of the passenger load, depending on final booking figures.

Edited by Jim Avery

We just sailed SDII last week (for the first time) and it included a large group (33 couples) that had won a sales promotion through Chrysler/Dodge (most of them being dealership owners). We may have gotten lucky, but they were a really great/fun group to sail with for the week. Very friendly and we enjoyed hanging out and getting to know many of them over drinks by to pool and TOY Bar. I could see how this could possible go the other way and you could end up with a group that may tend to stick together and not mingle with others, but luckily for us that was not the case.

It's so nice that Chrysler can send its folks on Seadream vacations, rather than using that money to pay back US taxpayers for the $1,300,000,000 in loans that were forgiven in its bankruptcy. Glad a nice Norwegian man is benefiting from my tax dollars.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/06/chrysler-paid-in-full/

It's so nice that Chrysler can send its folks on Seadream vacations, rather than using that money to pay back US taxpayers for the $1,300,000,000 in loans that were forgiven in its bankruptcy. Glad a nice Norwegian man is benefiting from my tax dollars.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/06/chrysler-paid-in-full/

I think that it may have actually awarded/provided by Mopar Auto Parts (not sure how much of a difference that makes). But I believe it was a reward for the Parts Departments owned by these Chysler Dealers for selling the most Mopar parts.