Hong Kong to Beijing Excursions

Cruisermann

What a lovely cruise. I am sure you will enjoy it immensely

Make the most of your two days in Shanghai. It is a vibrant city with so much to see. Two Regent excursions we thoroughly enjoyed when we were there a couple of years ago:

- The revolving restaurant halfway up the Telecoms tower - a view over the city and an incredible array of different exotic dishes to try

- Water Town of Zhujiajiao - just fascinating

Have you been to Hong Kong or Beijing before? It is worth spending a few days before your cruise and a few days after to fully appreciate the culture and tourist opportunities in these amazing cities at your leisure

If you are staying in Beijing, pre-book for a meal at the restaurant 'Black Sesame Kitchen' - Delicious Chinese food cooked in front of a small group each evening

http://blacksesamekitchen.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g294212-d1581964-Reviews-Black_Sesame_Kitchen-Beijing.html

• 2 weeks later...

If you can stay a few days in HK before the cruise, get rested up before you go on the ship. HK is a great place to see and eat. Plus easy to get around. Besure to take one of the street cars and sit on the top-you'll really see HK. We like it so much were flying in Oct to stay 7 days than back home (no cruise this time). You'll love it.

• 4 months later...
We are booked to do the Water Town of Zhujiajiao and the evening tour. I am also interested in what tours to do in Hong Kong

Great choice - we loved our day (or was it just a morning?) in Zhujiajiao and I still use the two wooden rice spoons I bought in the market there. It's a bit touristy but a nice change from the city, especially if you've been to Shanghai before (or have multiple days there).

Hong Kong is a fairly easy city to navigate by yourself using public transport, so I would choose excursions which gave me privileged access to somewhere I'd not know about or feel able to go independently, like temples and off the beaten track neighbourhoods. The Hong Kong Tourist board also offer some great ideas http://www.discoverhongkong.com/uk/see-do/index.jsp and fully support their programmes with leaflets and maps which make it easy to fill every waking minute. Of course, if you are jet lagged, you might prefer the ease and comfort of going with the flow of an organised excursion, but I think a little adventure in that particular city reaps rewards in terms of (safe) fun to be had.

(needless to say, I've blogged about both places, in particular Hong Kong which is a city we know well and love. I think that this post http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com/blog/2015/3/16/one-day-in-hong-kong.html - and the post that continues from that one - might give you a flavour )

Edited by Gilly

• 2 weeks later...

What about Shanghai. I was thinking about doing the side car tour but my husband doesn't want to do it again. We did it in Spain. He thinks the streets will be too busy. Any thoughts on that. Anyone want to join me?

Are you doing a post-cruise tour in Beijing to see the Great Wall, Fobidden City, Terracotta Warriors etc?

I can't recommend it highly enough, we have been to China twice with Regent and every tour we took had the most amazing tour guides.

I second the suggestion for visiting a water town. They are fun and interesting.

In shanghai, walking along the Bund and going to the top of the Pearl Tower are top on my list. I would NOT do a sidecar tour there. Too scary! Traffic is a mess. If you are a shopper, there is lots of that. If you are there at night, don't miss the light show on the Bund.

I second the suggestion for visiting a water town. They are fun and interesting.

In shanghai, walking along the Bund and going to the top of the Pearl Tower are top on my list. I would NOT do a sidecar tour there. Too scary! Traffic is a mess. If you are a shopper, there is lots of that. If you are there at night, don't miss the light show on the Bund.

Thanks Rachel...good to know about the sidecar. Off the list now.