non-alcoholic wine

We are traveling on Voyager with two people who can't drink alcohol but have found an excellent non-alcoholic wine they like to have for our "happy hours". Does anyone know if Regent will obtain this for us if we request ahead of time? We can fill some luggage with it, but not our preference - it limits the clothing and shoes :-))

Cruisernan - I agree with TC2 that you should check with Regent about the NA wine. However, the part of your post that piqued my interest was your reference to "an excellent non-alcoholic wine". As we have a number of friends who cannot drink alcohol, we have tried almost every NA wine that is available hereabouts and have not found one that is anything other than pretty ghastly. Please tell us which one your friends use so that we can offer it to our friends. Much obliged, Fred

Edited by freddie

Excellent non alcoholic wine--uh, does such a thing exist?

Yes it does exist on both Regent and Crystal. I drink the real wine my partner does not. I find it terrible but some people cannot drink any alcohol but it works for them and that goes the same with beer. The only one I like is Bucklers which has a nice taste.

Cruisernan - I agree with TC2 that you should check with Regent about the NA wine. However, the part of your post that piqued my interest was your reference to "an excellent non-alcoholic wine". As we have a number of friends who cannot drink alcohol, we have tried almost every NA wine that is available hereabouts and have not found one that is anything other than pretty ghastly. Please tell us which one your friends use so that we can offer it to our friends. Much obliged, Fred

I too would love it if you would share the Brand etc sure would be nice for those occasions. Have never tried any that was even tolerable!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When I was on the voyager they served Ariel non-alcoholic wine in the dining rooms, red and white. They also had 2 varieties of non-alcoholic beer.

Non-alcoholic wine is wine (after the fermentation) where the alcohol has been removed by some process.

It still wouldn't hurt to have you TA make sure they have some; but I wasn't the only person requesting these on our last couple of cruises.

Thanks to all - Yes I already have asked my TA to check w/Regent. If they will obtain it, I thought we should give them a heads up. The one my husband and friend like is the Ariel which has been mentioned. They prefer the red Cabernet - they preferred red alcoholic wine - but the white chardonnay seems popular. They also have a rose. Different from other non-alcoholics, Ariel evidently removes the alcohol after the wine is made. So, is it grape juice?.... basically, but it retains the flavor of the wine. The others that have been tried actually produce it with no alcohol from the beginning. Ariel wine has less alcohol than orange juice.

It was great to hear that someone has gotten it before on Voyager.

One of us is a non drinker too. We have always requested Ariel and a couple of NA beers The Ariel has been on every voyage. The NA beer selection is more hit or miss. One cruise we were stuck with O'Douls

Favorite NA beer is Becks.

I agree, Ariel is fabulous! I drank "regular" wine for many years, but had never found a non-alchoholic one that tasted like a varietal until Ariel. First had it on the Navigator two years ago. Wouldn't have thought to ask for it, but saw another Cruise Critic person mention it before we left.

I was able to get Cabernet or Merlot or Chardonnay every night. If I didn't finish the bottle, they would save it for me for the next night.

Unfortunately, it became an expensive habit once I got home, since now I drink it regularly!:D

• 3 weeks later...
Shouldn't just be called "grape juice"?

I assume alcohol free 'wine' skips a step or two in the process from vineyard to winery. Once ready, no aging necessary, give it a fancy name and dress it in a regular wine boittle. Result? High-end grape juice with a niffty price-tag. Jack

My initial thought was not to respond to this thread, but then I thought about it again and changed my mind.

A number of posts have very negative comments regarding the taste and acceptance of non-alcohol wine. In my prior life I was a critical care nutritionist, working with many different types of patients, including those who need to adjust to the new reality of severe dietary restrictions. In my experience, most people who drink non-alcoholic wines do so because of medical reasons. I offer the following suggestion - if you are in the company of someone who orders a non-alcoholic wine, please do not make negative comments, such as, "how can you drink that garbage", "why do not just order grape juice", etc. I remember very clearly that when I would counsel patients, the number one comment that I heard was "I don't want to appear different" or "What do I do if someone asks me why I need to eat/drink specific item".

For those individuals who are able to enjoy a nice glass of alcoholic wine, be grateful and remember not to make negative comments for those who drink something else. I cannot drink any alcohol and if I had a dime for every time someone made a negative comment I would be richer.

gnomie :)

My initial thought was not to respond to this thread, but then I thought about it again and changed my mind.

A number of posts have very negative comments regarding the taste and acceptance of non-alcohol wine. In my prior life I was a critical care nutritionist, working with many different types of patients, including those who need to adjust to the new reality of severe dietary restrictions. In my experience, most people who drink non-alcoholic wines do so because of medical reasons. I offer the following suggestion - if you are in the company of someone who orders a non-alcoholic wine, please do not make negative comments, such as, "how can you drink that garbage", "why do not just order grape juice", etc. I remember very clearly that when I would counsel patients, the number one comment that I heard was "I don't want to appear different" or "What do I do if someone asks me why I need to eat/drink specific item".

For those individuals who are able to enjoy a nice glass of alcoholic wine, be grateful and remember not to make negative comments for those who drink something else. I cannot drink any alcohol and if I had a dime for every time someone made a negative comment I would be richer.

gnomie :)

Please accept my apology for writing without thinking the consequences of my words. I have taken your message to heart and will remember your suggestion in the future. Jack

While I absolutely do appreciate and understand the multiple reasons some people should not or cannot drink alcohol. if it were me, I would just rather stick with iced tea, pellegrino, or a diet coke, rather than drink non alcoholic wine. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste the calories on that. I also wouldn't waste the calories on beer, even very expensive beer. It isn't a criticism. Just my opinion (and I often ask my sons how they can drink that nasty stuff--referring to beer.)

As someone who can no longer drink any alcohol due to heart meds, I appreciate that Regent offers non-alcoholic beer and wine for its guests. It's nice to be able to "indulge" even though the alcohol is absent. ;)

• 2 years later...
As someone who can no longer drink any alcohol due to heart meds, I appreciate that Regent offers non-alcoholic beer and wine for its guests. It's nice to be able to "indulge" even though the alcohol is absent. ;)

I too have to take heart meds and whilst I can have a glass of wine I couldn't drink more. A good German Non alcolholic wine is Ersberg available in red, white and rose. Put it in a nice wine glass and it is great.

When I was on the voyager they served Ariel non-alcoholic wine in the dining rooms, red and white. They also had 2 varieties of non-alcoholic beer.

Non-alcoholic wine is wine (after the fermentation) where the alcohol has been removed by some process.

It still wouldn't hurt to have you TA make sure they have some; but I wasn't the only person requesting these on our last couple of cruises.

Thanks for the 'Ariel' info. Will be first time to try this.

I too have to take heart meds and whilst I can have a glass of wine I couldn't drink more. A good German Non alcolholic wine is Ersberg available in red, white and rose. Put it in a nice wine glass and it is great.

Hi - I think there may be a typo in there - is it Eisberg you're referring to ?

Eisberg received rave reviews in a recent newspaper tasting a few weeks back (Sunday Times i think) for it's Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon 'wines'. They also do a Chardonnay and Rose i think.

Another non alcoholic product - a beer - was in the same article and scored 5/5. It's made by a largish craft brewery in Edinburgh (Brewdog) and is rather humourously named Nanny State !:) It really is surprisingly good.

Of course I think it is unlikely that a cruise line will be stocking these products but you never know.