Buffet

ronrick1943

Interesting question! I have been on Oceania and wondered why they had people serving in the Terrace Café - it made us a bit crazy - trying to verbally explain how much of each thing that we wanted - particularly on the salad bar. I have asked about why buffet food on Oceania is "served" and it isn't on Regent. The response I got was simply that Regent guests did not want it to be. BTW, buffet food is not served on any luxury cruise ship (that I know of).

I read with interest the norovirus thread on the Riviera. It was upsetting to read - especially since it went on for so long (not sure if it was 2 or 3 cruises). Having this occur on such a new, beautiful and clean ship convinced me that the risk of illness is no less or greater than on ships that allow you to help yourself.

The way the buffet restaurant (La Veranda) is on the Explorer is designed (to be copied during the renovation of the Mariner), it is obvious that Regent will continue having their passengers help themselves. It apparently has worked well over the years and passengers are happy with it.

I understand the debate/discussion as to whether norovirus (or gastroenteritis) is brought on the ship by passengers (which I believe), is caused by passengers not washing their hands or by crew members. So far, a case has not been made that having food served by crew members makes any difference.

Since these viruses are more active in the winter, when we are onboard the Explorer in November, we "may" (haven't decided yet) use a small paper napkin when I use the utensils on the buffet. The reason we remain undecided is because passengers and crew also touch the salt and pepper shakers, menus, ketchup and similar other items. While Regent does pick up the salt and pepper shakers after dinner in CR, I don't recall if this is done at lunch in La Veranda (I suspect not ).

In any case, when you are on the Explorer (or any ship), take normal precautions (washing hands, not touching your face if you have touched something - whether it be a railing on the stairs, condiment bottles/shakers or the serving spoons on the buffet. You should be fine.

Note: The pasta, carving station and some items on pool deck buffet (when they do a barbeque) are served - not sure why but again, it does not make a difference.

BTW, when is your first Regent cruise? I suspect that it is getting close:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm on the fence with this one. I've been on Oceania and I did find it annoying, at least in some cases (salads come to mind.) Then again I think hygiene is important, and shouldn't just be left to individuals to carry out. Perhaps there can be a happy medium, but I'm not sure what it is.

I'm on the fence with this one. I've been on Oceania and I did find it annoying, at least in some cases (salads come to mind.) Then again I think hygiene is important, and shouldn't just be left to individuals to carry out. Perhaps there can be a happy medium, but I'm not sure what it is.

I agree - just wondered why?

and I know Jackie carries wipes. Why not just open one and use it as you need it going down the line.

My encounter with Noro was on Crystal and I know I got it the first night from the waiter in the MDR. Just the right days before it showed and he never showed again for the whole cruise. Three days after I got it, my DH got it for three days.

I personally like to have it served with someone wearing gloves. I hardly take any food anyway. We will be on Explorer at Christmas and I will see what happens there. I am prepared for anything.

Main point is wash hands with HOT water frequently. Don't touch lips or eyes or face. Pray a lot!

It is always in cold weather and more than generally per a well experienced cruise member, after the ship comes from an overly warm and undernourished country, i.e. Peru, Chile.

Be careful. No way to predict certainty.

TIP: Ask ship to put several bottles of Gator Ade in your room.. With Noro, you are contagious BEFORE you get the temperature and know you have it. You will NEED THE GATORADE TO REHYDRATE YOURSELF. Treat this and you will be out in three days.

At lunch the photos look like the BUFFET is

serve yourself. If this is luxury why don't they

have servers help with the food. Specialty with

the virus's that don't help your cruise. Even "O"

as servers. Or am I wrong in what I see in the

photo's.

Thought you might like to know the definition of buffet.

consisting of food, refreshments, etc., laid out on tables or buffets from which guests or customers serve themselves:

Definition from the English dictionary.

Regards Pat

Thought you might like to know the definition of buffet.

consisting of food, refreshments, etc., laid out on tables or buffets from which guests or customers serve themselves:

Definition from the English dictionary.

Regards Pat

True, but you can look up the word Suite and most of the suite's are really just cabins.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Just speaking for myself (of course; how could I speak otherwise?), the whole intent of a buffet is for each patron to choose for themself just how much, or how little, or even which individual chunk, from what is offered, that one wishes to put on one's plate.

I may want to try just one or two bites of four, five, six different items offered; such precision can indeed be provided by those serving, but, how much would that slow down the line?

I've thought in the past that any patrons who might dislike a buffet presentation were those whom I never saw at breakfast or lunch anyway, because they were the ones who would choose the MDR for those meals . . . me, I've always loved, since 5 years of age, being able to pick and choose, even single bites if desired, from an impressive array of fresh victuals...!

It's not just kid's, it's adult's eating we'll still standing a the buffet. And the ones that pick up something with their fingers and eating it. I can tell someone how much I want and even which slice I want. Also what about the person that picks up a plate then put's it back for the next person to pick up.

IMO, it's fine for Oceania to do what it is doing and that people that sail their ships are happy with it. Regent and other luxury cruise lines allow passengers to help themselves to the buffet. There is no right or wrong here. I don't think that anyone is trying to change Oceania's policy or is suggesting that Regent should copy Oceania (which won't happen anyway - especially with the way their buffet restaurant is being set up on the Explorer and will be on the Mariner).

Just speaking for myself (of course; how could I speak otherwise?), the whole intent of a buffet is for each patron to choose for themself just how much, or how little, or even which individual chunk, from what is offered, that one wishes to put on one's plate.

I may want to try just one or two bites of four, five, six different items offered; such precision can indeed be provided by those serving, but, how much would that slow down the line?

I've thought in the past that any patrons who might dislike a buffet presentation were those whom I never saw at breakfast or lunch anyway, because they were the ones who would choose the MDR for those meals . . . me, I've always loved, since 5 years of age, being able to pick and choose, even single bites if desired, from an impressive array of fresh victuals...!

We totally agree. That is a great observation regarding the choice that the MDR affords. What does that word "luxury" have to do with buffets? Silversea has a wonderful buffet venue.

My wife as a rule does not like buffet dining. She does, however, enjoy the buffet on Regent.

I'm fine with a buffet as a choice for breakfast and lunch. Often quicker and you can get what you want. As long as there is another option available (CR, room service, etc) I think having a nice buffet is fine.

I believe the Sunday Buffet caviar is an exception!

Agree 100%! We enjoy being able to help ourselves to the caviar buffet. When we go to CR, they do not give us the quantities that we prefer. OTOH, we don't mind being served at the Seven Seas Society cocktail party. Thanks for reminding me about Sunday's!

Getting back to the OP's point, we've travelled on every "premium" cruise line - and a few that don't merit that appellation - and survived. OK, the odd day with tummy problems but nothing too severe. Our cruises on Oceania were trouble free from that point-of-view. Lucky? Maybe.

Did I prefer somebody serving me at the buffet? No. Did they give me what I wanted? Yes. Could I live without buffet service? Yes.

However, I challenge anybody on this thread to say they have never seen a fellow passenger at a buffet touch food, plates or utensils they have subsequently returned or replaced.

Having said that, let he who is without sin ... :o

Getting back to the OP's point, we've travelled on every "premium" cruise line - and a few that don't merit that appellation - and survived. OK, the odd day with tummy problems but nothing too severe. Our cruises on Oceania were trouble free from that point-of-view. Lucky? Maybe.

Did I prefer somebody serving me at the buffet? No. Did they give me what I wanted? Yes. Could I live without buffet service? Yes.

However, I challenge anybody on this thread to say they have never seen a fellow passenger at a buffet touch food, plates or utensils they have subsequently returned or replaced.

Having said that, let he who is without sin ... :o

Well said............

I vote with those who enjoy serving themselves, and who find Oceania's use of servers annoying. I'm allergic to chocolate, and I basically gave up on having desserts from the Oceania buffet. I never could get across the point that the servers couldn't serve me with the utensils that had just been used to serve a chocolate dessert. At one point I got careless, didn't ask the server to use a fresh set of tongs, and ended up back in my room taking an antihistamine and having to lie down for awhile. That definitely soured me on Oceania's buffets.

BTW, the only time I experienced a norovirus outbreak (which, luckily, didn't include either of us), with more than 10 days of Code Red on a Transatlantic cruise, was on the Oceania Marina last year. Obviously, not allowing self service on the buffet didn't prevent noro.

When caviar is on the Compass Rose dinner menu I always ask for a double portion. The only problem is that none of the cruise lines seem to understand that white toast is superior to blinis with caviar (we like a squeeze of lemon and sometimes a bit of sour cream, unless it's beluga; egg, onion or anything else is sacrilegious) or the concept of keeping a bottle of vodka or akavit in the freezer and serving it with the caviar--even better than champagne with caviar.

When caviar is on the Compass Rose dinner menu I always ask for a double portion. The only problem is that none of the cruise lines seem to understand that white toast is superior to blinis with caviar (we like a squeeze of lemon and sometimes a bit of sour cream, unless it's beluga; egg, onion or anything else is sacrilegious) or the concept of keeping a bottle of vodka or akavit in the freezer and serving it with the caviar--even better than champagne with caviar.

WOW! couldn't agree more. But if it's a "Lux Cruise" shouldn't you be able to order toast pts and shouldn't (I don't drink,but) they be ready with ICED Vodka at hand.