What to do with a whole day in Rio

CRUISEBILL

We will be on the Lima to Rio cruise aboard the Mariner next Feb. '17. Since our flight from Rio isn't till 10:30 P.M. my question is what can we do with our luggage from 9:00 A.M. till 7:00 P.M. in Rio, and what options are available to do tours and such? This will be our second time in Rio, and with a whole day in the city, I am looking for suggestions on what to do, and how to handle the luggage situation. Ten hours in the Airport is not appealing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

The first time we departed from Rio, Regent had a room in a hotel where luggage could be stored until the bus arrived to pick us up. Other people have mentioned that they did private tours and the luggage went on tour with them. IMO, the safest place to store your luggage is with Regent at the designated hotel. Since you've been to Rio before, you know that you need to be careful with your possessions - particularly since you will have your passport and other valuables with you on the last day.

The last time we were in Rio, the ship overnighted there and many passengers opted to leave the ship the night before and fly home on one of the late flights. For us, this was a perfect solution.

Edited by Travelcat2

Well if a private limo guy is not for you, may I suggest Viatour. We have used that company in several pre and post cities for Regent and other cruise(s); instead of doing the pre and/or post offered by the cruise line. This company appears to use the normal trained guides available in every port and they will store your luggage for you. Now, just a warning, they, like all tour companies, unless private, work on volume. So, expect to be on a bus with other folks. The tour we had in Rome a few years ago was actually what they called a small group tour ( a bit more costly). The tour had only 5 other couples, included prompt service door to door and actually really did skip the line to get into the Vatican ahead of the throngs.

Bill, we enjoyed Rio and Carnaval this February using our ship's (Silversea) excursion.

As Dr. Candon suggests Viator (we have used on other cruises) may be a reasonable option. Or as wripro/Henry recommends a private guide with airport drop off may work best.

Recommend you take a look at this Rio private guide/airport drop off thread from July 2016 for specific tour guide recommendations you may want to do further research on:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375023&highlight=rio+tour+guides

Edited by WesW

When we disembarked from the Mariner in Rio several years ago we spent a fabulous day with Valeria of Rio Plus Tours.

We were 2 couples and our luggage traveled with us.

After a very full day of sightseeing we were dropped off at the airport for our late night flight home.

I highly :)recommend them .

Bill, we enjoyed Rio and Carnaval this February using our ship's (Silversea) excursion.

As Dr. Candon suggests Viator (we have used on other cruises) may be a reasonable option. Or as wripro/Henry recommends a private guide with airport drop off may work best.

Recommend you take a look at this Rio private guide/airport drop off thread from July 2016 for specific tour guide recommendations you may want to do further research on:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375023&highlight=rio+tour+guides

The first recommendation in the post quoted by WesW is for Rafa in Rio. We engaged Rafa on the recommendation of both CC and Trip Advisor and were delighted. We had taken the (obligatory) included Regent tours to Sugarloaf and Corcovado the previous day and passed on the Regent evening Samba tour thinking it would be full of feathers and glitz. We asked Rafa to take us to a bar with best Samba and Bossa Nova and no feathers. He understood us completely and we had the most amazing evening musical experience, even meeting the 'Pavarotti of Brazil' after the show:). The next day we were given the 'other side' of Rio tour - to Niteroi and some wonderful scenic lookouts. No favelas - Rafa felt it was an intrusion on the resident's lives - but great food and a fantastic local knowledge. In addition, he knew all the best photo points and took many impromptu pics and later emailed them to us. Worth every cent. We felt safe at all times and would have no doubt your airport depature would be met in good time.

I would go with a private guide and driver as mentioned but I would want to have both a guide and a driver. Why? Because I would be concerned about valuables including passport and I would not carry my passport with me. Too much risk.

By having two people you request that the driver be at the vehicle at all times.

Keith

People like Rafa have the personnel at hand who can do this - just ask if you're in doubt. I agree that safety in Rio is paramount though strangely whilst we were there we never felt at risk. We did not have either our luggage or our passports with us, however security in Rio, as Keith has mentioned, is always an issue.

BTW:When we picked up our Visas from the Brazilian Embassy in Australia, we were reminded to leave our jewellery behind whilst in Rio. Fake Rolexes may look like real ones - I bought a fake Swatch in Colombia which served me well. And died shortly after our trip ended:).

We don't take our passports or anything of value with us. We don't need the driver/guide to stay with our car we in fact take them for lunch or dinner. The only thing of value is the camera and the phone and that is well protected and out of sight.

Having your driver or guide join you for lunch/dinner can be very insightful albeit you pay for him/her. We have been invited to their homes and to meet their families...wonderful experiences we have had.

When you travel by land or sea you always meet wonderful people and we are very open minded and love to learn about culture, food etc. some people could careless.

Having your driver or guide join you for lunch/dinner can be very insightful albeit you pay for him/her. We have been invited to their homes and to meet their families...wonderful experiences we have had.

Totally agree with you on this - we've had some of our best insights and most amazing chats with our guides at meals - they're not feeling the need to describe a park or a cathedral or a museum, so they can connect with you on a much more personal level. I still remember our fantastic lunches in Athens and Stockholm and Jerusalem...

Totally agree with you on this - we've had some of our best insights and most amazing chats with our guides at meals - they're not feeling the need to describe a park or a cathedral or a museum, so they can connect with you on a much more personal level. I still remember our fantastic lunches in Athens and Stockholm and Jerusalem...

Bill, you and I are on the same page on this one.