Transatlantic Weather

captbuzz

I am trying to gather approximate weather predictions for the TA cruise. It seems most of the ports in the Med. the temps will be between 65 - 45 F with a high probability of rain and then Bermuda being in the 75 -60 F range. I am just not sure what to expect for the sea days in betwee.

The average temperatures I'm coming up with for November's transatlantic cruise are slightly different than yours (from holiday-weather.com).

Rome - 55/46 - 8 days/rain/month

Toulon, France - 53/48 - 9 days/rain/month

Barcelona -- 55/48 - 4 days/rain/month

Cartagena, Spain - 82/77 - 10 days/rain/month

Malaga, Spain - 61/52 - 6 days/rain/month

Funchal, Portugal - 61/52 - 12 days/rain/month

Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda - 72/68 - 18 days/rain/month

I'm assuming that the weather warms up (from 61 to 72 degrees) as the ship sails south. IMO, with the crazy weather we've been having in the world, the "average" temperatures may be correct or could be way off. In any case, I'm packing for the "average" weather forecast.

I am trying to gather approximate weather predictions for the TA cruise. It seems most of the ports in the Med. the temps will be between 65 - 45 F with a high probability of rain and then Bermuda being in the 75 -60 F range. I am just not sure what to expect for the sea days in betwee.

I think it is just very unpredictable what the weather will be in the Atlantic at any time of year. Sometimes it defies all predictions. I have done 7 transatlantic and the ones where you tend to go south are smoother ie. to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Did Southampton to New York in July this year and we had two days with the fog horn going all the time.

Regards Pat

I am assuming you mean the fall transatlantic. If so, I would plan on 70-80 during the days except when you cross the tropical storm; might actually be warmer in the storm.

Marc

I didn't realize we were crossing a tropical storm! Hope not! Been there, done that! I do like your prediction of warm days, but think I'll aim for the middle of the road (we're on the same crossing!) I'm figuring layers, but will bring scarf, hat and gloves. It would be a great and wonderful thing if I didn't need them! We've been to Bermuda a gazillion times. I wouldn't plan on warm sunny days at the end of Nov., but I'd love it if I was wrong!!!

Greetings from South Beach, captbuzz. We have taken many TAs, two in the fall: Marina 2011, with a week in Rome, Riviera 2014, with a week in Barcelona. We used weatherunderground.com and it's info matched our experience. We had jackets with zip out linings and shells that doubled as light jackets. Together they worked on three rainy days in Rome, and on chilly days. Sea days were very enjoyable. On both crossings, there were a couple of slightly active seas, but nothing disturbing. Bermuda was very pleasant both times, although St. George was essentially closed. The shops in Hamilton were decorated for Christmas, and it was charming. As we approached Miami, the weather warmed up, and we exited the ship in tee shirts. It may not be that warm when you arrive. Weather can be unpredictable everywhere. Enjoy your TA.

Mary

One crossing we had weather that was perfection. A little too cool for swimming in the pool but warm and sunny enough to lay out and read or use the pool deck for a Country Fair.

On the other crossing we did, we had drizzly, cloudy weather every day and it was too cold to even use the wrap around veranda on the aft suite we booked. It rained in Bermuda also. We had a tropical storm in the Atlantic that required we miss some of our port stops on the coast of Portugal and change our plans. We did get to visit Funchal again where we had lovely weather for the day.

It's a roll of the dice.

The average temperatures I'm coming up with for November's transatlantic cruise are slightly different than yours (from holiday-weather.com).

Rome - 55/46 - 8 days/rain/month

Toulon, France - 53/48 - 9 days/rain/month

Barcelona -- 55/48 - 4 days/rain/month

Cartagena, Spain - 82/77 - 10 days/rain/month

Malaga, Spain - 61/52 - 6 days/rain/month

Funchal, Portugal - 61/52 - 12 days/rain/month

Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda - 72/68 - 18 days/rain/month

So glad this question came up, as I suppose it's soon time we start thinking about what to bring for our mid-November departure. Layers, layers, layers will probably be a good rule to follow! ;)

After spending three weeks in Finland in August and not wearing any of the shorts or capri pants I'd brought, I can adjust to anything - of course hoping for warm rather than cold days! Either way, it'll be a wonderful cruise and adventure, I'm sure.

~Benita

I don't think that the pool is heated. I thought (not sure) that the pool is drained into the ocean at night and refilled in the morning. Now that I've written this down, it has to be wrong! :confused:

The infinity pool (that I'm still trying to like) is probably heated. I actually never go into a pool -- just the ocean when I'm snorkeling so why am I answering this post? (because I had two glasses of wine and Z asked me the question :-)

As you've seen in photos, the two Jacuzzi's are covered so they will be usable even if it rains.

z, you have to do cannonballs in the pool no matter what. We are all looking forward to it and we will have our video camera to capture the event:D

Question: Why can a person have two glasses of wine at home and feel "good" and the same person can drink 6 glasses of wine with dinner and not feel a thing? (there is no punch line -- just wondering if it the amount of food we eat or ???)

Question: Why can a person have two glasses of wine at home and feel "good" and the same person can drink 6 glasses of wine with dinner and not feel a thing? (there is no punch line -- just wondering if it the amount of food we eat or ???)

It's the food. Food in your stomach slows the absorption of alcohol. See: http://mcwell.nd.edu/your-well-being/physical-well-being/alcohol/absorption-rate-factors/.

It's the food. Food in your stomach slows the absorption of alcohol. See: http://mcwell.nd.edu/your-well-being/physical-well-being/alcohol/absorption-rate-factors/.

Thanks Dave. That makes sense because the only time I have what I feel is an excessive amount of wine with dinner is onboard a ship -- a place where my stomach always seem full:)