Onboard Internet

groovechick

I'm self-employed. Even though I tell my customers I am going on holiday, they still e-mail me and expect a reply. If I buy an Internet package, is it specific to me or can others in my party use the minutes too? P&O's information doesn't specify. I'm guessing I know the answer, but I thought I would ask.

The Internet connection on P&O is slow . So emails should be ok, but try to attach any photos and dependent on where you are it takes ages and eats into the minutes.

Thanks Mark. It's unlikely I would need or want to attach photos etc., unless it's as proof that "I really am on holiday and please stop e-mailing me!", but useful to know.

I'm self-employed. Even though I tell my customers I am going on holiday, they still e-mail me and expect a reply. If I buy an Internet package, is it specific to me or can others in my party use the minutes too? P&O's information doesn't specify. I'm guessing I know the answer, but I thought I would ask.

Is it clever enough to know when two people connect at the same time and charge accordingly? i.e. if I am connected for 10 minutes and my wife (to-be) is connected for the SAME 10 minutes will we use up 10 minutes of time or 20 minutes of time?

Is it clever enough to know when two people connect at the same time and charge accordingly? i.e. if I am connected for 10 minutes and my wife (to-be) is connected for the SAME 10 minutes will we use up 10 minutes of time or 20 minutes of time?

As you have to enter a code..person a logs on....person b using the same code, will be told they are already signed on.

I just wait until I am in port..unless you are on a worldie or TA, the most you would not be hitting a port is 2-3 days.

We took a little router on board with us and used that to connect to the internet and then connected our devices to the router. We found it quick enough for our purposes, and even uploaded some photos to FB and sent some by email. Sometimes we had 4 devices connected to the router synchronizing emails.

We took a little router on board with us and used that to connect to the internet and then connected our devices to the router. We found it quick enough for our purposes, and even uploaded some photos to FB and sent some by email. Sometimes we had 4 devices connected to the router synchronizing emails.

Was that connecting to ships Internet?

Was that connecting to ships Internet?

Yes the router was connected to the ships internet and we only got charged for the time the router was connected no matter how many devices we connected to it. It is one of those credit card sized routers so perfect for travelling.

You may find these links useful for WiFi in the ports, I've posted before but has probably fallen off the bottom of the page by now ;) :

http://crew-center.com/crew-maps

http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/

I always get the package on ship about a week before departure, it gives you an extra 1/2 hour I think. ALso read the Horizon leaflet each evening when they deleiver it as they tend to do some offers some days like 2 for 1 say between 4 & 6pm, which means if you're logged on for 20 minutes they then credit you with 10 minutes. I was realy lucky once as I had pre paid for the internet and had my birthday while on the cruise (P&O), as a present I got a voucher for the duration I had paid for and they just refunded what I had paid ~ happy days :)

Keith (Southend)

Depends where ports are as to wifi or mobile. Some companies allow free usage in some countries. Carribean you need to find wifi and some are free some you have to pay about $5 for an hour wifi

Yes the router was connected to the ships internet and we only got charged for the time the router was connected no matter how many devices we connected to it. It is one of those credit card sized routers so perfect for travelling.

Well, that's blown that.

Expect them to put a patch in place to stop that :D

Can you give me details of the router as I am on a 24 day cruise soon and think it's a great idea....

Can you give me details of the router as I am on a 24 day cruise soon and think it's a great idea....

If you google "Netgear Trek N300" or similar you will get what is needed, Amazon have prices starting at £16 for travel routers.