Acadia and oriana

Shamrock990

We are looking to go on oriana next year but would like to do to one of the ships visits to see what it's like first. Unfortunately we can't make any of the dates. Is the oriana similar to the Arcadia? Would it be worth going to the Arcadia ship visit to get a rough feel of the size and feel? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arcadia has a more modern feel, they are a similar size. I was on Oriana recently and was a bit disappointed as she wasn't as grand as I imagined (in fact I'm really struggling to remember her). I would say it would certainly give you a feel if you did a visit. You could also buy a future cruise down payment on board to use when you book Oriana. I prefer Arcadia because she has the hydropool and the speciality restaurants seem better than other ships, but we all have our favourites and there will be lots who disagree [emoji102]

We have enjoyed both Oriana and arcadia. I think Oriana is classier. Arcadia is bigger and a bit bland, but we liked both ships and wouldn't hesitate to go on either again. In fact we are back on Oriana in 4 weeks. We don't like the bigger ships either.

I think I heard someone say say that oriana was more classic, which we liked about the Adonia. My partner prefers the smaller ships without children. You will have to tell us all about it [emoji3]

We have cruised on Arcadia and Oriana and would go with Arcadia every time she is a much nicer ship IMO and after our last cruise on Oriana will never sail on her again. Saw advertised tonight on TV Oriana in December 12nts £449 a bargain for someone but wont tempt me.

As others have said, Oriana and Arcadia are significantly different from each other. Among the differences these spring to mind:

a) cabins on Arcadia are typically bigger than on Oriana;

b) balcony cabins make up a higher proportion of the cabins on Arcadia than on Oriana, and are generally more affordable than on Oriana;

c) main dining room(s) - Arcadia has one large dining room, Oriana has two. Our preference is for the former;

d) since her most recent refurbishment, Arcadia seems to have fresher furnishings and lounges;

e) Arcadia has a retractable covering for the main pool, so it's more useable in bad weather.

One advantage I can think of for Oriana is that the aft descending decks are better than on Arcadia.

Finally, both ships have good, wide wrap-round promenade decks and good Crows Nest lounges.

Oriana is a nice ship, but it is feeling its age, we were disappointed on our last cruise with her. Plumbing has issues, smelt a bit in places, food was uninspiring. It does seem to attract an older passenger and someone (unkindly) referred her as a floating care home. Not everyone will agree with these comments but having just returned from Britannia, we will not cruise again on a ship older than Ventura. I personally hate the adult only ships, the family ships are much more fun.

We are on Aurora and Oriana in the next couple of months, as per my signature. So could one assume the Canaries cruise on Oriana will attract a more elderly mob than Aurora to USA/Canada? Just asking.

(I have been on Arcadia twice, once in 2012 World Cruise Sydney-Southampton and again last year The Med. I really like those Vista Class ships like Arcadia, pity P&O Only have one, Holland America have the rest.)

Thanks.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks for the tips. We have to go in school holidays because I'm a teacher but we don't want to go on holiday and be surrounded by children and families (I love them just not on my holiday!) Arcadia only seem to go to cooler places during the summer (and we have just done the fjords so don't want to do that again) we would prefer to try somewhere warm. So it looks like we either go on the oriana or we go on a bigger boat with families(which I know my partner won't be too keen on) or we try a different company...

Thanks for the tips. We have to go in school holidays because I'm a teacher but we don't want to go on holiday and be surrounded by children and families (I love them just not on my holiday!) Arcadia only seem to go to cooler places during the summer (and we have just done the fjords so don't want to do that again) we would prefer to try somewhere warm. So it looks like we either go on the oriana or we go on a bigger boat with families(which I know my partner won't be too keen on) or we try a different company...

You may be better looking at Aurora or Oceana. Not masses of children. Families tend not to want to go North which is why in general the adult ships go North and family ones go South. Of course this is not fixed, next year we are going on Azura to Iceland and Britannia has done a few Fjords cruises.

I was a teacher but generally I was used to children on cruises as when I was working I did not have a choice.

We like both Oriana and Arcadia and would not hesitate to go on either. I think Oriana's public rooms are better, but Arcadia's cabins are better because there are more balconies.

We cruise on both Arcadia and Oriana as we prefer adult only ships. Oriana is classy and is showing her age a bit but is still a beautiful ship. There is masses of space in the public areas and rarely feels crowded. The crows nest is wonderful. The aft decks are fabulous.

The downside is the cabins and the lack of balconies. We have had excellent food in the main dining room and speciality restaurants every time we have cruised on her.

Arcadia is more contemporary. The public rooms not as good as Oriana and the entertainment a bit lacking if you don't want to see the theatre show. The food and speciality restaurants are equally as good as Oriana as is the Crows Nest.

The cabins are far better and lots of balconies. Lots of outside space as well. The biggest bonus for Arcadia is the superb spa area. Whichever ship you choose I doubt you would be disappointed.

The average age on both ships is similar. I am late 50 s and hubby mid sixties and we are probabably slightly under the average age, but there are all ages on board. Last cruise on Oriana there was a 30 year old in our party and she had a fabulous cruise. She was one of the very few young passengers.

We cruise on both Arcadia and Oriana as we prefer adult only ships. Oriana is classy and is showing her age a bit but is still a beautiful ship. There is masses of space in the public areas and rarely feels crowded. The crows nest is wonderful. The aft decks are fabulous.

The downside is the cabins and the lack of balconies. We have had excellent food in the main dining room and speciality restaurants every time we have cruised on her.

Arcadia is more contemporary. The public rooms not as good as Oriana and the entertainment a bit lacking if you don't want to see the theatre show. The food and speciality restaurants are equally as good as Oriana as is the Crows Nest.

The cabins are far better and lots of balconies. Lots of outside space as well. The biggest bonus for Arcadia is the superb spa area. Whichever ship you choose I doubt you would be disappointed.

The average age on both ships is similar. I am late 50 s and hubby mid sixties and we are probabably slightly under the average age, but there are all ages on board. Last cruise on Oriana there was a 30 year old in our party and she had a fabulous cruise. She was one of the very few young passengers.

Couldn't agree more. Love Oriana and don't feel she is just for older people. Our last cruise, we had lots of younger people on board.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for some interesting reading about comparing some of the ships. We are on the Oriana in September and maybe in the younger group (50's), but we seem to prefer the ships with not thousands of passengers and one that are more traditional (older), but I'm sure we will be fine as are pretty easy to please.

Keith (Southend)

We just came back from 18 nights on Oriana and had a wonderful cruise. Half the trip was sea days and I was concerned about it being a smaller ship. Being August there were a lot of teachers onboard and others who brought down the average age. I had been advised on a forum to have the bed made up as twins which gave much more space. The cabin was compact but comfortable. The wardrobe was irritating after a lovely long rail on the bigger ships. The bathroom was fine and kept beautifully clean. The window was huge.

The ship was extremely lively - the Lords Tavern being packed most evenings. The Crows Nest was not so busy because it was uncomfortably cold every evening. The Headliners were ok and did several shows and there were other acts but nothing outstanding. Harlequins, the ballroom, was often busy for those without two left feet. We had a fantastic 60s night out on deck with the fabulous Mood Indigo playing. Food was very good in Peninsular (freedom dining) and also good in Marco's Ocean Grill and The Beach House. Twice we ate outside on the terrace outside the Conservatory when the Indian buffet was on.

The pools were all good with the Riviera pool accessible via steps rather than the traditional ladder type. Finding a sunbed before 16.00 was a challenge with the usual sea of sunbathing blue towels. Towels were out by 07.30!

The promenade deck was fantastic and lovely for a pre-bed stroll. The quoits and shuffleboard areas were busy twice a day and there were always people playing short tennis or cricket in the netted area. Chaplins Cinema showed some good films throughout the day.

Oriana handled choppy seas extremely well and zoomed along at 20 knots a lot of the time.

We would certainly sail on her again but we had a horrendous journey back from Southampton (Bank Holiday Friday) and may book a fly cruise next time.

Sorry, didn't mean to produce an essay!

In school holidays the average age group goes down on Adult only ships as teachers and schools staff book then. Have been on both several times....we actually prefer Oriana because of the aft deck set up fabulous deck spaces there, it also has a cinema and more dancing/ballroom space than Arcadia, but Arcadia is newer looking etc. you will enjoy either as an adult only cruise.