Wine package, coffee and soda cards

Carter7568

We are thinking of going for a 9 bottle wine package and Coffee and soda cards bought before the cruise.

We are on board for 24 days so will consume reasonabl quantities of all three.

A couple of questions.

Is the commodore wine package good value?

Are the coffee and soda cards worthwhile getting?

Or should we just order a bottle at a time or buy coffee/soda as we go.

We have never used these before so any comments are welcome.

Thank you

Edited by Carter7568

Never bother with the soda or coffee but always use the Commodores Wine Package. You save a approx. 10 - 15% dependant upon which wines you choose.

We usually drink red and we find the standout red is the Valdivieso Cabernet Franc.

If you fancy the wines in the package, it's a worthwhile saving.

On our last 24 night cruise we bought 2 of the 12 bottle packages - it worked out just right!

We are thinking of going for a 9 bottle wine package and Coffee and soda cards bought before the cruise.

We are on board for 24 days so will consume reasonabl quantities of all three.

A couple of questions.

Is the commodore wine package good value?

Are the coffee and soda cards worthwhile getting?

Or should we just order a bottle at a time or buy coffee/soda as we go.

We have never used these before so any comments are welcome.

Thank you

Hi, We have bought all three in the past. I looked on it that I was paying upfront before the cruise therefore saving my end bill. The commodore collection was Pauline`s choice, the first night she asked for a bottle of wine that had been on the list and it was not available. She asked for another that she had noted down and it not available either. They had changed the bottles available since we had booked it. We were told we had to pick off the list available.We were not happy bunnies but we put up and shut up. Pauline picked a bottle but did not enjoy it. She does not like red wine so she was limited in her choice. The next night she took the IPad down to dinner and spoke to the head wine waiter she then showed him the collection (she keeps everything) she had booked. This time she was sticking to her guns as she does enjoy a glass or two of Pinot. He went away and spoke to someone, on his return he asked if we could forward this list onto P&O. This way he could sanction a bottle of Pinot for her. We were flabbergasted but agreed to do it at the time. It caused a lot of problems for us as we eat a lot in the speciality restaurant's, when she asked for her choice the waiter had to get in touch with the head wine waiter in the MDR to ok it. In the end it was just a nightmare, never again will we book a wine package. In hindsight on the first night we should have cancelled the package and paid for the bottle she had half drunk. Hindsight is a lovely thing though! From that cruise we buy Pauline's choice on the night as the savings are negligible.The Soda card is ok if you use it. The coffee card is the only one we now pre purchase as we do like our Costa Coffee when we return to the ship. The card gives you a nice coffee and sandwich/cake.

Regards to all

P&W

Edited by Wull92

We had a problem on Ventura with the Commodore wine package also. We were told the wine we particularly like sells out very quickly throughout the cruise so we took all the 9 bottles back to the cabin and planned to take it down as necessary. First night was muster. We took the wine down and gave it to the head waiter at the door to put on ice while we waited for our table. Muster was delayed so we went back a good time later. The wine waiter couldn`t find our wine then when he did it had been lying somewhere heating up nicely. We eventually had a chilled glass and left the rest for the next night. The same wine waiter couldn`t find it again. There wasn`t a problem when we were sharing a table as the wine went with us to the table. Our cabin steward, seeing the wine in the cabin fridge, brought us a large bucket of ice each day to chill it properly. We vowed we wouldn`t bother with another package and just order it as we went.

Edited by caber

Just be aware that if you buy your packages before you cruise you do not receive any loyalty discount.

just seen on p&o cruise personaliser it states "Please note, loyalty discount won't be applied when purchasing wine packages"

don't see much benefit to booking on line in that case...

Edited by janieb1962
updated with additional info

just seen on p&o cruise personaliser it states "Please note, loyalty discount won't be applied when purchasing wine packages"

don't see much benefit to booking on line in that case...

I'm not entirely sure but I think the Wine Package may be more expensive if purchased on board. Perhaps someone may be able to confirm that.

Yes I did use the Americanism for soft drinks package...... Too much looking on forums like this...... Lol....

That is a good question is it cheaper to order before you go or when you arrive on ship?

Lastly any one had a particularly good wine in the Commodores package as I always like a good recommendation to try.

Thanks again

Yes I did use the Americanism for soft drinks package...... Too much looking on forums like this...... Lol....

That is a good question is it cheaper to order before you go or when you arrive on ship?

Lastly any one had a particularly good wine in the Commodores package as I always like a good recommendation to try.

Thanks again

As far as I know, the tours are more expensive on board.

Perhaps someone on a ship just now could give us the prices and we could compare.

They have changed the package since we last used it. Quite happy with the previous red/white version apart from the sweet white which we were able to swap with another couple on our table - otherwise we would have spitzered it.... We saved about £2 a bottle on that deal and never had an issue with wine being delivered to our table and the odd night we didn't finish one it would turn up the following day.... We will be trying their new version with interest. We always bought onboard to use our OBS up.If you are going to drink coke's etc then worth getting a card but there is no refund on unused drinks - saves you a little bit on each drink.

They have changed the package since we last used it. Quite happy with the previous red/white version apart from the sweet white which we were able to swap with another couple on our table - otherwise we would have spitzered it.... We saved about £2 a bottle on that deal and never had an issue with wine being delivered to our table and the odd night we didn't finish one it would turn up the following day.... We will be trying their new version with interest. We always bought onboard to use our OBS up.If you are going to drink coke's etc then worth getting a card but there is no refund on unused drinks - saves you a little bit on each drink.

You can have any wine in the package so you didn't need to take the "sweet" one.

That's right. You can have six - or nine bottles depending on your package - of the same wine, you don't have to have one of each of the bottles on your package. I don't think this is clear from the blurb on the website. We have always had the Commodore's Selection and never had a problem with it. We think the discount given is worth having.

As far as I know, the tours are more expensive on board.

Perhaps someone on a ship just now could give us the prices and we could compare.

Always found the New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc to be quite good and the Pinot Noir from the Commodores package...it seems to change brand but always been happy with them.

You can have any wine in the package so you didn't need to take the "sweet" one.

I think the OP was saying that the package in the past was set. You could not change the 6 bottles. Now of course you can have 6 of the same wine.

We have used this for years and never had a problem with the wine at the table. Also I am not aware there is any advantage of booking before you go. We go the first night have a glass and then book the package we want for the rest of the cruise. Simples.

We haven't purchased the wine package as we are usually happy with P&O house wine, with a different bottle off the wine list every now and again.

We do purchase the coffee card usually 2 for a a14 night cruise

We haven't purchased the wine package as we are usually happy with P&O house wine, with a different bottle off the wine list every now and again.

We do purchase the coffee card usually 2 for a a14 night cruise

I have to say the P&O house wine on Britannia really surprised me - tried it in day1 as it was complimentary and drank it all cruise saving a fair few pounds!